Show off your best pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A test of a high-key alligator photoshop...

Opinions?
highkeyalligator0rq.jpg

doh said:
Little too white for my liking. :(

As in, you would like a greyish water reflection with sky detail? What would you change about it?

I kinda wanted the water "surface" to disappear (hence the high-key look to the image) to isolate the alligator.

Took this one 5 months ago. This bulldozer woke me up every single morning at ungodly hours.

dozer_web.jpg

qadams.jpg

Just took this one this morning. Pulled an all-nighter, decided to go chase the sunrise - best spot I had at the moment.

Worcester_sunrise.JPG

Hope someone likes these, I'm still developing. :)

Sidenote: I got talked to by cops/security for the second and third ones. Passers-by reported me to cops who then drove up to ask me what the hell I was doing. :eek:

nweibley said:
As in, you would like a greyish water reflection with sky detail? What would you change about it?

I kinda wanted the water "surface" to disappear (hence the high-key look to the image) to isolate the alligator.

Can you show the original unmodified image?

BillLeeLee said:
Sidenote: I got talked to by cops/security for the second and third ones. Passers-by reported me to cops who then drove up to ask me what the hell I was doing. :eek:

I did a night where I took pictures at a stop light / intersection. The cops were about to run a redlight when they saw me with my tripod fully set up so they stopped in the middle of a cross walk (and the light took another 20 seconds to change). They drove by about 3 more times over 30 minutes, but for the most part ignored me.

BTW, "When The City Sleeps" is this week's (Nov 1st - Nov 8th) theme at FredMiranda Forums. You might consider entering one of these that you took 2 nights ago.

Backyard/Animal pics

I took these pictures outside (duh), my first time using a digital camera pretty much. So I was trying all sorts of different settings, hence the reason why some are noisy, out of focus etc etc

Even if they're not the best, I think they're good. ^.^

doh said:
I like this one better. You can actually see that the gator is in water and not just a white void.
i personally liked the other one better... it kept the gator as a mystery. you cant see where its coming from, and you cant see anything around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doh
I like this one better. You can actually see that the gator is in water and not just a white void.

i personally liked the other one better... it kept the gator as a mystery. you cant see where its coming from, and you cant see anything around it.

I like the PS version better too.

There's just enough there to know it is an alligator and that it is swimming. As the viewer, you get to wonder and imagine why. That's the beauty of the mystery.

The original image seems bland to me - the water doesn't add anything to the image - the only thing to focus on is the gator.

HorsePunchKid said:
A few random photos; maybe not my best, but it's been slim pickings lately. :(

Don't feel bad - this is what I'm up against now:

436e40e70fc2e374.jpg

I don't have quite as much snow coming down, but there is a tiny bit falling at night and melting by day...slowly preparing for basketball... :)

photos_img2_05112708_.jpg

you guys have snow.... lucky... :(

its 65 degrees F right now... heck, it was over 70 this past weekend :eek:

PS-RagE said:
Don't feel bad - this is what I'm up against now:
Wow, yeah, that puts it in perspective! Would you believe it's currently 73°F here? Average high is around 50°F, and we're not far off the record.

i prefer the all white - gives more to the pic - we all know gators are often in water and the one with it in water looks too dull and boring.

still practicing with my Canon 20D not much to take pics of lately except some poisonous Banana spiders (as deadly as black widows i found out)

the "size" is not huge - kb wize

i really really want a macro lens with a 1:1 now.

spider04.jpg

i was lying on the ground under this ones web - and apprently they are aggressive spiders, i was no more then 1ft away from it...

spider02.jpg

MrGuvernment said:
i prefer the all white - gives more to the pic - we all know gators are often in water and the one with it in water looks too dull and boring.

still practicing with my Canon 20D not much to take pics of lately except some poisonous Banana spiders (as deadly as black widows i found out)

the "size" is not huge - kb wize

i really really want a macro lens with a 1:1 now.

[im]http://host57.hrwebservices.net/~mathiau/wwwmathiau/dapics/data/503/spider04.jpg[/img]

i was lying on the ground under this ones web - and apprently they are aggressive spiders, i was no more then 1ft away from it...

[im]http://host57.hrwebservices.net/~mathiau/wwwmathiau/dapics/data/503/spider02.jpg[/img]

You are insane!!!

Great shots tho. :eek:

Awesome spider shots MrGuvernment!! Your last one with the web is just wonderful. Where I live, black widows are as prevalant as files in the Mid-West. I've come to learn that although they are posionous, they are hardly fatal if you are a healthy adult. Now mind you, I still avoid getting bitten as much as I can because they sure can make you sick.

As cool as I find the black widow, those colorful banana spiders look waaay better on camera!

Awesome shots TQ. I can't remember I saw a basketball that was illuminated, especially in my college shots. As of next week we get to use a gym with some nice lighting (ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/640 - daylight balanced) but for now we're in an ISO 3200, f/2.8, 1/320 cave with butter yellow lights...

Anyways, some sports shots from the fall and early winter...I may post more later in the season... (Settings idea...these should all be above ISO 400, and shot around f/1.8-f/2.8 IIRC except the wide-angle one of submission-wrestling at f/4.0) I may use a couple of these in my SportsShooter application along with my other newspaper shots when I get a portfolio together in the late spring. :)

photos_img2_05101577_.jpg

photos_img2_05101911_.jpg

photos_img2_05107462_.jpg

photos_img2_05100619_.jpg

photos_img2_05109050_.jpg

photos_img2_05109809_.jpg

photos_img2_05101104_.jpg

photos_img2_05106226_.jpg

photos_img2_05113450_.jpg

And one more that is general photojournalism (though I have a *lot* more non-sports assignments)...

photos_img2_05103442_.jpg

"A man with a sign reading "Got God? Why Catch Hell Without Him!" attracts a crowd of students outside of the UI Library Wednesday afternoon. Oct. 5, 2005."

I just got my first digital camera yesturday. It is a Nikon CoolPix L1. Not the greatest thing in the world, but I am loving it!

Here is my only good one so far (to me anyway :p ). I was playing with the macro before I even read the manual. :D

flower5qj.jpg

Here are what I consider my best pics so far. I am definitely a beginner at photography.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

7)

8)

9)

10)

11)

12)

[TQ] said:
Say thanks for the kind words folks.

The ball does indeed flatten that much, i hope to get this fairly generic shot IE catching the ball on the bounce, and make it interesting.
I'm just wondering what the heck kinda lights(strobes) those were to shoot a 1D at ISO 500, 1/400s and F/8.... thats pretty darn good indoors!

benzino_86 said:
Here are what I consider my best pics so far. I am definitely a beginner at photography.

*snip*

I like the one with the bridge and that tower. How do you like MT? I am thinking of going to MT for school....just don't know which one yet. :D

Time I posted some of my stuff in here. Most were shot with a Canon PowerShot A85. Some with my dad's work camera. Digital Rebel EOS :D Anyway, on to the pics.

Sunset_on_the_rocks__by_LunchboX3904.jpg

Maggie1_by_LunchboX3904.jpg

Trees_and_sunset__by_LunchboX3904.jpg

Oblivious_by_LunchboX3904.jpg

Fog__by_LunchboX3904.jpg

Marina_by_LunchboX3904.jpg

Falling_sun_with_her_by_LunchboX3904.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments are MUCH appreciated.

nweibley said:
I'm just wondering what the heck kinda lights(strobes) those were to shoot a 1D at ISO 500, 1/400s and F/8.... thats pretty darn good indoors!

Two alien bee B800's

52645775.jpg

52688733.jpg

52688736.jpg

Tiny said:
I like the one with the bridge and that tower. How do you like MT? I am thinking of going to MT for school....just don't know which one yet. :D
Montana is great, except for getting a foot of snow dumped on us overnight. :eek:
I'll PM you some details on colleges around here. I go to the University of Great Falls in Great Falls. Love it.

Well, I would make my own thread and show all my pics. But this will suffice.
Nikon D70 Outfit with kit lens and Tiffen 67mm UV filter.
*Free for personal use*(ie-don't go off selling my photos)

They're all from vacation or around my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back