Shouldve listened to you guys - Razer keyboard gone

MacLeod

[H]F Junkie
So I post about being a happy new Razer fanboy after buying and loving a Deathadder a couple weeks ago, a Carcharias headset a few months ago then last week a Black Widow Ultimate. Immediately, there was a rampage of hate...or so I thought.

After 2 days the strafing keys started sticking. Not physically sticking, as the key would still bounce up and down but youd be strafing to one side like a madman. Then the up arrow stopped working when I would be in a text box. Last straw was when it froze up my computer and when I shut it down and booted back up it wouldnt power up or be recognized. So I had to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work.

I had updated to the latest firmware as it was obviously a software issue but it never got any better.

So I took it back and swapped it for my old trusted brand of Logitech for a G510.

It sucks cause that was a cool ass keyboard and I liked the mechanical feel and its the first keyboard Ive ever bought that was defective. I just hope my Deathadder doesnt crap out cause its still the most comfortable mouse Ive ever used. Ive got my old G9 as a backup if it does tho.

Oh well. Hurts the pride but let the "Told you so's" begin. I deserve them. :(

Don't give up on mechanical boards. I think you'd notice a major quality boost with a Filco, Leopold or Das.

Yeah, I think youre right and I probably will wind up with one eventually cause I did kinda like the tactile feel of the keys and it was cool cause it was something different then the membrane keyboards Ive been banging on for the last forever.

But for now, this one will do cause I kinda wanted some macros for a few games that let you assign a weapon to a specific key an so on.

I already said those boards were crap when first released. People buy the established brands for a reason.

Its not the keyboards, its the firmare or drivers or something. All my problems were software related. Obviously theyve gotta get their fimware working better. The board itself was rock solid.

a cheap asian mechanical keyboard overhauled and branded to a gaming board with bells and whistles, by Razer, will not be as safe a buy as a regular mechanical keyboard from dedicated companies. At least not for a long while.

my 6Gv2 makes me happy though

Don't underestimate the G510 though, I have it an love it. I've typed on mechanical's, and though I do really enjoy them, the 510 is still very fantastic and rather responsive. Plus I use the LCD quite often.

I have a G15...2nd gen....is that a mechanical keyboard? Anyway, it has functioned flawlessly. Logitech is a great company.

i have 1 razer product. The death adder. The rest of their stuff is gimmicky and junk

after having two razer mice die within 6 months I am going to avoid them.

I always find these threads strange, because I have both a BW ultimate and a Imperator and they work flawlessly, and I love both of them.

I always find these threads strange, because I have both a BW ultimate and a Imperator and they work flawlessly, and I love both of them.

Normally Id agree and not trash a whole brand because of one crap product but everybody and their brother told me Razer keyboards blow and I bought one anyway....and it blew. Sometimes conventional wisdom is right.

Like I said tho, I think their problem is their software and not so much their build quality. Everything that went screwy with my BW was software related and their software UI just pales in comparison to the likes of Logitech's.

If Razer ever gets their drivers and firmare down, theyll be set cause theyve got the ergonomics and style down pat. The BW was a great keyboard to type on and very comfortable and I cant rave enough about how comfortable this Deathadder is.

Hey now, I like that! I too like having a number pad for calculator work and such. What kind of keys does that one have? Kinda not wanting Cherry Blue again. They were fun for typing but the point of actuation was a little high for gaming IMO. Kinda wanting to try Cherry Brown next time around. Gonna be a while tho. After spending $100 on this G510, its gonna be a few months before the wife will let me drop another bill and a half on yet another keyboard while she bangs away on her 10 year old keyboard. :D

Don't underestimate the G510 though, I have it an love it. I've typed on mechanical's, and though I do really enjoy them, the 510 is still very fantastic and rather responsive. Plus I use the LCD quite often.

Agreed, this thing is growing on me. Ive got a couple gripes like the keys being too small and they seem a little too close together so Im having to get used to it. Plus while I want some macro keys for a few games, I dont necessarily want 18 of them! Having this many makes it kinda hard to reach over in the heat of combat and hit the right one. Also, the feet are way too short and this thing lays way too flat. I went and got some felt that I use for speakers and stuck a couple strips on the bottom so it raised it up a cm or 2 and its much better now. The LCD is coming in handy. I use the Core Temp applet to keep an eye on my CPU temp while gaming.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
But I use the calculator on my computer nearly once a day. I pay all my bills, do all my banking and stuff like that and am always whipping it out and add stuff up and not having to use the number keys above the letters would drive me crazy.

But I use the calculator on my computer nearly once a day. I pay all my bills, do all my banking and stuff like that and am always whipping it out and add stuff up and not having to use the number keys above the letters would drive me crazy.
I love my Filco tenkeyless. For the times I need one, I bought a wireless Logitech keypad for $15 on eBay. Wired USB keypads can be had for as little as a few bucks.

IMAG0008-1.jpg

Agreed, this thing is growing on me. Ive got a couple gripes like the keys being too small and they seem a little too close together so Im having to get used to it. Plus while I want some macro keys for a few games, I dont necessarily want 18 of them! Having this many makes it kinda hard to reach over in the heat of combat and hit the right one. Also, the feet are way too short and this thing lays way too flat. I went and got some felt that I use for speakers and stuck a couple strips on the bottom so it raised it up a cm or 2 and its much better now. The LCD is coming in handy. I use the Core Temp applet to keep an eye on my CPU temp while gaming.

That being the case you could always try the G15 rev2. My roomie has it and loves it. Same awesome logitech quality, same lcd, but the keys are slightly bigger and spread a wee bit more, and it sits at a little higher angle. And it only has 1 row of maro keys, might better suit your needs. :D

Razer mice have sub par build quality but their keyboards are just garbage.

Thats said im too hooked on my naga to use anything else.

Great ideas, poor quality.

Two filco's and a razer blackwidow. I like the "sound" of the BW blue's over the filco. But that's just me.

Agreed. I've owned a ton of Razer equipment in the past and am currently using a BW and DeathAdder (been using the BW for a few months and the DeathAdder for over a year) without any problems whatsoever.

To each their own, I guess.

I have a Black Widow Ultimate, Steelseries 6Gv2 and G19
The logitech is the worst..... YMMV

Same thing here.

My brand new Black Widow Ultimate start gaving me ''No keyboard detected'' message at boot after only 3 weeks. So I sent it back to Newegg for a full refund, and got 2 Leopold, one with Browns and the other with Blues. Perfectly happy with those now.

My 2 months DeathAdder just died for no reason. One morning, it was gone, nothing. Not working, no lights, nothing. :( Still waiting for my RMA to come back. Sigh.

So I'm now using my trusty 5 years old Logitech G5 gen 1.

I had a key stick on my Black Widow Ultimate for a few days after I bought it but it eventually got worn in and it hasn't done it in 6 months.

Razer mice have sub par build quality but their keyboards are just garbage.

Thats said im too hooked on my naga to use anything else.

Great ideas, poor quality.

Razer doesn't even make the BW line, so your assumption is just plain wrong.

I had a key stick on my Black Widow Ultimate for a few days after I bought it but it eventually got worn in and it hasn't done it in 6 months.

My issue wasn't the key itself physically sticking. It would pop up and down just like normal only I would be strafing off in one direction regardless and it only did it in games cause I could never duplicate it in typing. Plus the issue with the up arrow sometimes not working in text boxes but only in IE9. My diagnosis was the firmware or driver was the culprit.

Razer doesn't even make the BW line, so your assumption is just plain wrong.

Awesome reasoning. I dont care who makes it they slap their name all over it and its shit just like the others.

So I post about being a happy new Razer fanboy after buying and loving a Deathadder a couple weeks ago, a Carcharias headset a few months ago then last week a Black Widow Ultimate. Immediately, there was a rampage of hate...or so I thought.

After 2 days the strafing keys started sticking. Not physically sticking, as the key would still bounce up and down but youd be strafing to one side like a madman. Then the up arrow stopped working when I would be in a text box. Last straw was when it froze up my computer and when I shut it down and booted back up it wouldnt power up or be recognized. So I had to unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work.

I had updated to the latest firmware as it was obviously a software issue but it never got any better.

So I took it back and swapped it for my old trusted brand of Logitech for a G510.

It sucks cause that was a cool ass keyboard and I liked the mechanical feel and its the first keyboard Ive ever bought that was defective. I just hope my Deathadder doesnt crap out cause its still the most comfortable mouse Ive ever used. Ive got my old G9 as a backup if it does tho.

Oh well. Hurts the pride but let the "Told you so's" begin. I deserve them. :(

Really, just go grab a filco or a Das Keyboard with the blues...if you like the feel of the keyboard, just grab a real one. Else, take a look at the Logitech Iluminated keybaord - also has a fairly good feel to it.

My first razer mouse ( diamondback 3g ) broke within the first year, and I've always treated my stuff with care...so - shrug -

I got another razer mouse though - and this time I got the abyssus. If it breaks again within a year, I'm never going to buy razer products in the future. >_>

I have had a few Razer products and yeah they are cheap. The worst one I had and still have is the baracuda sound card. As other said the issue is often drivers. The drivers on this thing suck they constantly turn on garbage I do not want, and it leaves a shell of the program open on my desktop every time I play a game. They have not bothered to update the software to fix anything ever since I got it many years ago. It would not be so bad but it seems to always turn on a padded room effect and that muffles sound which kills positioning in games. To bad I already swore off creative I have nothing to buy.

ok now my blackwidow is getting a little annoying. physically, it still works fine. however when i put my computter on sleep and press a key a couple of times to wake it up and then click on something like a google search bar and start typing, they key that i pressed to wake it up keeps repeating itself, and doesnt stop for a couple of seconds, doesnt do it all the time, but its still very annoying

I have yet to have a single issue with my BW that I got on sale for ~65. Switching to a 6Gv2 though cause I constantly bottom out these keys. The mice however quickly went downhill. My copperhead from years ago was one of my favorite mice and worked perfectly through all the abuse I threw at it (easily 6-9 hours a day, 5-7 days a week of counter-strike). I haven't seen any of their recent mice hold up as well so I switched back to Logitech for mice.

I had a simliar issue with waking up from sleep mode in that it wouldn't. Half the time I'd have to press several keys several times and move my mouse around to get it to wake. With the G510, I press 1 key as I'm pulling out my chair and by the time I sit down , its on.

As for bottoming out, I did that with every keystroke. As this was my first mechanical, I thought I just hadn't got used to it yet. Glad to hear that's not a typical characteristic of mechanical keyboards cause it was kinda annoying.

Back