Should You Switch To Windows 10 Or A Mac?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I already know what the answer to this question is, I just wanted to post this so you guys could voice your opinions on the matter. :D

But what about those users for whom it's time to get a new machine? With the exception of some existing contracts or old inventory, you're pretty much faced with the choice of not only a new machine, but a new OS -- Windows 10. Given that you're going to make a big operating system jump, should you stick with Windows, or move over to the Mac?

People act like this OS is somehow fundamentally different than 7 or 8.1 was... it's not. It's still Windows. It still looks and works like Windows. Most of the control features are still there just like previous versions of Windows, plus a few new ones.

The largest actual change to the control panel is the requirement to initiate Windows Updates manually through the new Settings button rather than being able to do it in the control panel. But pretty much all other system tools are still accessible exactly the same.

Right clicking the start button also still brings up that awesome new context menu.

It's pretty much what people wanted out of Windows 8.1.

Would I be happy if the whole app thing just went away? Yep. Does it wreck my life or my ability to use my system? Nope.

Now that I've gotten Playonlinux to behave, Mint is working well for me. No need to worry about Windows 10 anymore.

In 2020, I'll be open to all options (Mac/Windows/Linux).

I just be running Windows 7 in the meantime.

Windows 10 has been working well for me. No gripes. Then again I'm on a new skylake system which was made with Windows 10 in mind.

As they noted, the jump from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is not that significant if you are buying a new system. Going to a Mac makes sense in only one of their examples (in my opinion) and that is where you are already so heavily leveraged in the Apple ecosystem (iTunes, iPhone, iPad, etc) that you can leverage that integration. Otherwise Windows is still the most ubiquitous and flexible computing platform there is for the widest range of activities. (Full Disclosure: I just upgraded to a new computer this weekend and I did go with 64 bit Windows 10 for my Z170/6700K system)

I've been using a Mac at work for the last 4 years, and I'm still not used to it. Why are there so many modifier keys? Why can't I maximize a windows / why does maximize not maximize? Why is there a traffic signal at the top right of every window? How come the menu bar is stuck on my primary monitor, even when I have windows on a secondary monitor? Why is Chrome still running when I closed all the windows? etc. Windows 10 has some weirdness too compared to 7, but it still mostly works the same.

I have been entertaining the idea of moving to the Mac but casual gaming is something that I would have to make sure would work on it.

@Advil, those people who don't want to move to Windows 10 are the same people who think that with Windows 10 Microsoft has a direct link to their hard drive to look at their personal data all day long. Those are the people who will never upgrade to Windows 10.

There's no convincing these people. You can throw facts at these people all day long including the fact that if Microsoft really was vacuuming up all your data like those people think that they are doing, someone would have found out about it by now. And since nobody has found Microsoft to be doing anything of the sort we can conclude that Microsoft ISN'T going through all your personal data. But, you can't convince these people and they will forever say that Windows 10 is the tool of the NSA, FBI, or whatever favorite three-letter government agency is the nasty person of the week.

People act like this OS is somehow fundamentally different than 7 or 8.1 was... it's not. It's still Windows. It still looks and works like Windows. Most of the control features are still there just like previous versions of Windows, plus a few new ones.

It's a regression in functionality from both 7 (on the desktop) and 8 (on touch devices), it's unacceptably intrusive, and they still haven't fixed much of the UI stupidity left over from 8. Why do you need separate 'settings' and 'control panel' menus, for example? Why can't I change update settings on Home edition (especially now that users are the beta testers)? Why am I forced to install drivers? What do you really gain from 'upgrading' to this crap? Siritana and slightly faster boot times? All for the low, low price of your privacy.

The situation with Windows 8/10 reminds me of shrinking products at the grocery store with "New and Improved!" on the packaging. Consumers lap that BS up.

I use Win10 for gaming, linux for servers and anything internet related and OSX for content creation / office work. Best of all worlds at use.

Windows is by far the best supported x86 desktop OS there is currently because of its market share. If one doesn't want or need that kind of support then there are alternatives.

It's a regression in functionality from both 7 (on the desktop) and 8 (on touch devices), it's unacceptably intrusive, and they still haven't fixed much of the UI stupidity left over from 8. Why do you need separate 'settings' and 'control panel' menus, for example? Why can't I change update settings on Home edition (especially now that users are the beta testers)? Why am I forced to install drivers? What do you really gain from 'upgrading' to this crap? Siritana and slightly faster boot times? All for the low, low price of your privacy.

The situation with Windows 8/10 reminds me of shrinking products at the grocery store with "New and Improved!" on the packaging. Consumers lap that BS up.
But its a shiny turd?!

I use windows 7 for most computers and 8.1 for my main with classic shell installed.
Windows 8/8.1/10 do not bring anything to the table(more like mess it up). Maybe when games are using DX12?

to me, if Microsoft goes crazy. if they return to metro in the next windows, its bye bye pc for me. I'll save some money and buy an expensive mac mini.

I have been entertaining the idea of moving to the Mac but casual gaming is something that I would have to make sure would work on it.

@Advil, those people who don't want to move to Windows 10 are the same people who think that with Windows 10 Microsoft has a direct link to their hard drive to look at their personal data all day long. Those are the people who will never upgrade to Windows 10.

There's no convincing these people. You can throw facts at these people all day long including the fact that if Microsoft really was vacuuming up all your data like those people think that they are doing, someone would have found out about it by now. And since nobody has found Microsoft to be doing anything of the sort we can conclude that Microsoft ISN'T going through all your personal data. But, you can't convince these people and they will forever say that Windows 10 is the tool of the NSA, FBI, or whatever favorite three-letter government agency is the nasty person of the week.

I guess you were under a rock when all of the reports of Windows 10 transferring data? And Microshaft sending an update which, in the background without telling you, resets all of the telemetry and sharing options back to enabled?
If Microsocks isn't getting any money for Windows 10... how are they just giving it away for free? They are making money somewhere on it. Nothing is free.

For me to answer the original post question... I would have to ask which gives up your privacy less? It's tough for me because I'm a gamer with a HTPC. I guess I would have to say neither and just skip over Windows 10 like I did Windows 95 and ME, and for the most part Vista.

Depends on what you are use to, what programs you run and what you really need.

An OS is like a tool. If you are trying to hang a picture a hammer is a good choice, trying to use a saw to put a nail into the wall will work but it is a horrible way to do it.

If you are using Windows, all of your programs are for windows and that is what you are use to using then personally I would say stay with Windows. If you only use it for basics (checking email, surfing the internet, streaming movies...) and don't use any additional software then select whatever you want.

I guess you were under a rock when all of the reports of Windows 10 transferring data? And Microshaft sending an update which, in the background without telling you, resets all of the telemetry and sharing options back to enabled?
If Microsocks isn't getting any money for Windows 10... how are they just giving it away for free? They are making money somewhere on it. Nothing is free.

For me to answer the original post question... I would have to ask which gives up your privacy less? It's tough for me because I'm a gamer with a HTPC. I guess I would have to say neither and just skip over Windows 10 like I did Windows 95 and ME, and for the most part Vista.

When the product is free, you are the product.

to me, if Microsoft goes crazy. if they return to metro in the next windows, its bye bye pc for me. I'll save some money and buy an expensive mac mini.

At this point that can't happen. There's too many Windows tablets and 2 in 1s to simply drop new UI and Store and there a some pretty major store apps that are getting widespread use on traditional devices like Netflix. Whatever would supposedly be gained from what you propose would have more than offsetting losses.

I use Win10 for gaming, linux for servers and anything internet related and OSX for content creation / office work. Best of all worlds at use.

I use Windows 10 for gaming, servers/internet and content creation/office work.

Best of all worlds :p

Honestly though, I have a pretty nice MacBook Pro, and I run Windows 10 in a VM. (not for gaming of course) but it seriously gets the job done, and is both physically and operationally stable. SSD, no moving parts, metal build, and two OSes to work with.

Now that I've gotten Playonlinux to behave, Mint is working well for me. No need to worry about Windows 10 anymore.

Still not DX11 support from Wine. I blame Gaben.

There's no reason to use OSX for content creation. You just wasted money on a Apple product.

Where does the myth that Apple computers are better for content creation come from, anyway? Marketing? It may have been true 15 years ago, but with all the free and premium programs available for both Windows and Apple OS these days I find it hard to pick one over the other.

There's no reason to use OSX for content creation. You just wasted money on a Apple product.

If you want a laptop that's built like a tank, (and still actually portable) and don't mind a step below the latest performance, there's not much else out there. I've never had a laptop as nice as my MacBook Pro. I do circuit design in the Windows 10 VM, do browsing and other non-critical stuff (light games, etc.) in OSX. It's absolutely FLAWLESS. Perfect for travelling too. I also have a couple of Latitudes that actually are faster / higher specced, but they're bulky, plasticy, worse displays, and generally less pleasant to use.

I'm no Apple fan (in fact I got the MBP for free) however, there isn't another laptop that is nearly as nicely built.

For entertainment use though a Windows desktop / GHTPC is the only way to go currently. You'll get my desktops and GHTPCs away from me only after killing me.

If you want a laptop that's built like a tank, (and still actually portable) and don't mind a step below the latest performance, there's not much else out there. I've never had a laptop as nice as my MacBook Pro. I do circuit design in the Windows 10 VM, do browsing and other non-critical stuff (light games, etc.) in OSX. It's absolutely FLAWLESS. Perfect for travelling too. I also have a couple of Latitudes that actually are faster / higher specced, but they're bulky, plasticy, worse displays, and generally less pleasant to use.

I'm no Apple fan (in fact I got the MBP for free) however, there isn't another laptop that is nearly as nicely built.

For entertainment use though a Windows desktop / GHTPC is the only way to go currently. You'll get my desktops and GHTPCs away from me only after killing me.

I think the situation with laptops has changed a great deal over the last couple of years. There are a number of Windows laptops that compete very well with MacBooks these days. Apple however has a great deal of brand loyalty plus a good brick and mortar store presence for customer service that Windows OEMs don't have.

Where does the myth that Apple computers are better for content creation come from, anyway? Marketing? It may have been true 15 years ago, but with all the free and premium programs available for both Windows and Apple OS these days I find it hard to pick one over the other.

That's just it. Most of that stuff was initially Mac only, but as you mentioned it was years ago. People who got started in that field around that time, probably just kept chugging along on Macs and are perfectly happy to do so. Also, for audio production, Logic is still considered to be one of the best. (Pro Tools also was initially Mac Only.) There's also absolutely nothing wrong with using a Mac for this type of thing either. It's just that you CAN in fact do the same things on the Windows PC now, and in a few cases better.

Also, if I remember correctly, SolidWorks was once Mac only. That's a pretty big one. (it's not anymore of course...)

I'm sorry if you think it's uncool to use a Mac, and in a few very specific ways, I guess it is (like if you use it as a status symbol.) The fact is though, they are very well-built machines, and in the right context are quite invaluable. If you're "too cool" to give one a try, then by all means, stay cool.

One is a free upgrade and kind of a no brainer for anyone running 7 or 8. The other costs a fortune. In conclusion, this article is retarded.

It is not a myth, it was true and less than 15 years ago. Apple had amazing audio and video software and hardware in the 2000's. It was during the iPhone development, release and then annual marketing hype and pumping that Apple's attention turned from their less profitable high end professional hardware/software to their amazingly profitable iPhone.

Still they ran Final Cut and the iMac Pro till about 2010 before pulling that plug.

Good points. I'm thinking about it but after purchasing mu first Apple tablet I was expecting a bit more.

I think the situation with laptops has changed a great deal over the last couple of years. There are a number of Windows laptops that compete very well with MacBooks these days. Apple however has a great deal of brand loyalty plus a good brick and mortar store presence for customer service that Windows OEMs don't have.

Oh, I agree, there are quite a few impressive Windows laptops coming out now. If I'm honest, I'm even quite impressed with the Pixel C purely from a hardware perspective. The new Surface Book is very cool too (though I'm a little skeptical of the hinge...) I'm not saying that there is nothing else out there in the same class as a MacBook. Just that people shouldn't rule them out because they don't like Apple. If you look at any large corporation you're going to see parallels to Apple. There's a stigma associated with Apple users too, and a lot of it is based in fact. However, they do make a good piece of hardware, and to hate it just to hate Apple is silly.

It is not a myth, it was true and less than 15 years ago. Apple had amazing audio and video software and hardware in the 2000's. It was during the iPhone development, release and then annual marketing hype and pumping that Apple's attention turned from their less profitable high end professional hardware/software to their amazingly profitable iPhone.

Still they ran Final Cut and the iMac Pro till about 2010 before pulling that plug.

It was the Mac Pro (not iMac) and they made it till 2012, but really lost the software edge in the late 2009's. The new Mac Pro is a joke of a professional system.

The new Mac Pro is a joke of a professional system.

I will agree with this in some ways. I still prefer to build my own for gaming and professional systems. However, if I was going to buy off the shelf, the Dell Precision workstations are pretty hard to beat. They're nicely built, have TONs of possible configurations. However, they are a little overpriced as far as per-component costs and upgrades above base-spec go. I'd still use one over a lot of what's out there though for simplicity's sake, and especially in a corporate environment. We have a ton of them for our engineers where I work, and have pretty close to zero problems with them. Plus, get 20 cores in there over 2 sockets, and that's a lot of power.

I use Windows 10 for gaming, servers/internet and content creation/office work.

Best of all worlds :p

Good luck using hardware RAID when you get a bunch of hard drives.

I switched off Windows and onto a Mac for my home server because I can put ZFS on a Mac. Windows only allows NTFS or trying out ReFS.

Good luck using hardware RAID when you get a bunch of hard drives.

I switched off Windows and onto a Mac for my home server because I can put ZFS on a Mac. Windows only allows NTFS or trying out ReFS.

Then it's time for a NAS or SAN perhaps. (provided the network infrastructure is in place) The most I typically do in a workstation is a mirrored set. I prefer bulk storage to be off of the local workstation.

I used to rely on the phrase "Windows just works" because even with 8.1 it did just that... it worked. Day or night. Rain or shine. It just worked. Battery backup to keep brown outs at bay. External Hard drive for system images once a quarter only hooked up during the image. Cloud drive for documents.

The launch of Windows 10 tested that phrase to it limits because it stopped just working. I'll try 10 again here in a month or two after I file my taxes but not before.

Then it's time for a NAS or SAN perhaps. (provided the network infrastructure is in place) The most I typically do in a workstation is a mirrored set. I prefer bulk storage to be off of the local workstation.

That's just me of course, but I think it makes some degree of sense.

Back