Should we have picture and username requirement in FS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFaWolf

[H]ard|Gawd
A couple of moderator accounts from other forum sites were compromised and the hacker posted high-end GPU for sale and below the MSRP for a quick scam (red flag 1). The post had pictures of the item but without the username (red flag 2), which was a requirement that triggered questions, and the compromised moderator account quickly banned people that questioned the sale. Payment was asked to be crypto or Venmo/Zelle type (red flag 3).

I am not saying moderator accounts at [H] can be hacked, but in general for any account, should we modify the FS forum to include pictures with username now? I understand a rule change like this can cause some threads to not be in compliance, but other members that are aware of it can gently nudge the OP, and moderators can go easy without quickly banning the OP. I also know that some items, such as software keys, cannot be pictured with username. But for physical items, should we add a new rule?

Perhaps this has been discussed before but I am not aware of it. I also know if the dumbass scammer had an empty box of even an actual GPU, and be able to post a picture with username, some people could actually fall for it. Also, I know, too good to be true and caveat emptor. But I am just wondering if there is a safer way for members to transact here without getting scammed, by adding one extra picture/username requirement?

A hacker who has a card take a photo off the card with their user name and date stamp. But to be honest what’s wrong with venmo/zelle? I know people claim it doesn’t have protection like paypal, but it dose, its called a chargeback and as a scammed buyer you have to prove you were scammed unlike paypal witch pretty much lets buyer scam their sellers with fake returns and NAD cases.

I have stated that already, but I think it could be a start, or help? Hopefully most scammers or hackers don't actually possess the item.

I'm not that concerned with it, honestly. Exhibit good judgment and everything seems to work out.

Say a long time member and trader and the account was hacked, and now asking for crypto or Zelle. How do you verify that?

I had somebody here send me a message on Heatware and have me respond to it through there to confirm I have access to that Heatware account. It seems less likely that both a Heatware account and a forum account would both be compromised than just one of them. Maybe that could be an option for high dollar items if somebody is concerned about it? I've done a lot of transactions through forums, though, and don't recall ever being scammed.

Another option would be just to insist on using Paypal goods and services, but throw in an extra ~3% to cover the fees. I've paid with Paypal G&S if the seller has low Heatware, but i just threw in a few percent extra as a courtesy to cover the fees. If they'll only take crypto maybe that is then the red flag to not proceed?

I'm just spitballing ideas, I wouldn't have an issue with a requirement to post a picture with username.

Say a long time member and trader and the account was hacked, and now asking for crypto or Zelle. How do you verify that?
We have very few traders here that seek crypto. Zelle, while more common, is very rarely asked for without also offering PayPal as an option.

If it is a significant transaction, I usually have some conversation with the seller or buyer before it occurs.

If it is a reservation that you have, I suppose it is something you can work out with a prospective buyer or seller as appropriate. However, I simply do not believe that it's a necessity for all transactions here.

Trust but always always verify, nothing is foolproof anyways. My biggest issue with PP G&S is that it affords no protection to the seller, nil, zilch, nada whatsoever. And no I do not want to be responsible for what happens to a product 6 months down the line (their ridiculous chargeback period).

Adding extra bs requirements that are just short of completely ineffectual are a waste of everyone's time and effort. Relying on extablished reputation and using payment methods other than crypto are about the best you can hope for when conducting private business in forums. There is virtually nothing you can actually do to verify the legitimacy of an FS post to a satisfactory-enough level that isn't going to be outright intrusive on that person's privacy, epecially if would-be scammers put any real effort into dressing up their posts. If you are that concerned about potentially being defrauded/scammed, stick to buying retail when it comes to high $$ items.

I'm not that concerned with it, honestly. Exhibit good judgment and everything seems to work out.
This. Check feedback, check post history, do your homework.

Many of us have traded here for years. Having this as a requirement just in case a moderators account would get hacked is… not needed imo.

This is exactly the reason why I would never ever take payment via paypal anymore, haf one to many buyers scam me. Chargebacks work perfectly fine and unlike paypal the buyer has to prove their case.
I’ve used PayPal for almost all sales for a decade. Haven’t had a single issue. But I also am very picky about who I do business with.

One more note on pp gs, the fees are non refundable in case of cancelation. Twice recently buyers on fleabay wanted to cancel something, since they thankfully moved to their own managed payments, all I lost was the $0.30 in each case, with paypal I would have been out $100 out of pocket between the two , no thank you.

Agreed. Creating new policies in reaction to a highly unlikely scam just seems like it could lead to unintended consequences. If you're buying a expensive product, the buyer can just ask for additional proof (using the various techniques already listed in this thread), but I don't think it should be a policy of the forum. I think it would be reasonable to revisit this if it becomes more of a problem in the future.

Just curious, do you know how the accounts were compromised? Was it an exploit and just a simple password leak?

Seems like a lot of extra effort on everyone's behalf for a one off occurrence. If people exercised proper restraint and judgement these things usually don't happen.

All sales and trades here you make at your own risk .., we will ban accounts that turn out to be scammers but we take no responsibility for anything that happens between 2 adults....
so you guys are free to make any rules you like between each other but we will not be instituting any more forum rules .

Another option would be just to insist on using Paypal goods and services, but throw in an extra ~3% to cover the fees. I've paid with Paypal G&S if the seller has low Heatware, but i just threw in a few percent extra as a courtesy to cover the fees.
I will just use https://www.salecalc.com/paypal and send them the exact amount for them to get what they're asking no-fee. Win-win since I get protection and seller gets the amount they want. A lot of times, it's just a small price to pay for that insurance.

Adding extra bs requirements that are just short of completely ineffectual are a waste of everyone's time and effort.
For frame of reference, of every other forum/community that has a FS section that I regularly check, this is the only one that allows posting without the name/picture thing.

That being said, it is a lot of extra effort on the part of a seller.

I think that is the right call Crosshairs . Use your judgement, deal with people you know and with good rep.

Also, the photo with your username thing never made sense to me. One, it's not hard to use Photoshop.

Second, a scammer could take a real picture of an empty box and say it's sealed, or take a legit picture of a video card, but sell that 1 card to 10 people. It doesn't solve anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back