Should we even think about the possibility of dedicated servers for MW2?

You what, when I saw that I thought the same thing. They just wanted to get the zero week sales out of the way and get as many pirates as possible to buy it and then drop down the server support.

Would be cool if it happened. But nah,,,,

Robert 402 Bowling is a lying sack of shit, and has repeatedly lied to interviewers about the true state of the game for the past year. Just a few weeks ago he was BSing his way through interviews, saying that the PC version will have the exact same multiplayer system as MW1, that it's unchanged in anyway etc, even though he and everyone at IW knew it to be a blatant lie.

Any form of credibility he had is lost, and anyone who takes his word to mean anything other than PR-speak-bullshit is an idiot. Lots of times he has posted "notified the devs about _____" on his forums or twitter, and NOTHING ever comes out of it. It's just horseshit, and all the lying they do is just more reason for PC gamers to dislike IW and Activision. Hell a quarter of a million people signed the dedicated server petition and all that IW could say is that "it's just whining and they are ignoring it".

As for the state of the game I now encounter a blatant hacker in about 1 of every 3-4 matches. And the icing on the cake is the cheater boasts about being a hacker and there is absolutely nothing anyone on the server can do about it. Though I don't get angry as I predicted this would be the state of the game eventually - though I do feel sorry for true fans of the CoD series who were originally looking forward to this title.

The only "announcement" that they can make at this point to save the horrendous fuck-up of a multiplayer experience is to announce that they will be patching in support for dedicated servers. Anything else is just a band-aid to which will slow the death of the game instead of fix it.

TeknoGods is working on a mod for Dedicated Servers for PC. Check out their blog @ http://www.teknogods.com/
This has been known for a while now, and while I'm very impressed with their efforts unfortunately these workarounds also allow pirated copies to play as they have no way of checking if it's legit or not, meaning that they tend to attract cheaters en masse who now have nothing to lose. Cracked servers in any other game, like MW1 for example, attract cheaters like flies to honey - even when there's admins around there are still those who cheat and hide it well, simply because they know there's no risk.

..unfortunately these workarounds also allow pirated copies to play as they have no way of checking if it's legit or not...

The workaround is made for pirated copies. Do you think there is any chance they are going to risk a VAC ban by running a mod which entails hooking a .dll into the executable? The creators might be doing it for the challenge or whatever, but there is no way that they don't know that the audience for the mod are pirates.

Back on topic, anyone who is expecting dedicated servers to be announced is setting himself up for disappointment. It's extremely unlikely that they will put them in.

Pretty much, if you have to hack the game to run a proper server, then the game environment is already compromised as far as hacking goes.

They made their half-billion+ off of the game already, the vast majority of which came from console sales.

It would be silly to expect them to support PC gaming more than they are now.

The workaround is made for pirated copies. Do you think there is any chance they are going to risk a VAC ban by running a mod which entails hooking a .dll into the executable? The creators might be doing it for the challenge or whatever, but there is no way that they don't know that the audience for the mod are pirates.

Bashandslash had Reaver (one of the guys working on the teknogods loader) on one of their podcasts, and he's said they are putting in a check and you will need a legit copy in order to use the loader. Now whether or not that's true or if someone will just go in and bypass it remains to be seen.

Bashandslash had Reaver (one of the guys working on the teknogods loader) on one of their podcasts, and he's said they are putting in a check and you will need a legit copy in order to use the loader. Now whether or not that's true or if someone will just go in and bypass it remains to be seen.

That's an interesting piece of information. That the legit copy check will get bypassed is a foregone conclusion... but I do wonder whether the Teknogod people will trying to hide the hack from VAC detection. If they do, well, it's pretty much the same kind of programming process that is used by people who create aimbots and wallhacks for games right? (even though their aim is different). And if they don't bypass VAC, well... it's back to being a mod for pirates only.

VAC won't be used. They haven't said if they are using Steam or not, but the loader would be completely off of iwnet/VAC. Honestly I'd rather have the ability to kick/ban myself rather than rely on VAC so not having VAC doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Reading this tweet from one of the developers you would think that something like dedicated servers are coming in this so called "big patch" but i am afraid they are referring to taking notes about the console versions.

http://twitter.com/fourzerotwo/statuses/6257412374

what do you think?

I think they are being purposely ambiguous about what's in the "big patch" so they get as many people to buy the game as possible. I'm sure they're happy that some people think their "big patch" might include dedicated servers, but the cold reality is that they would never implement dedicated servers because they've invested so much into IW.net.

If they give you dedicated servers, IW.net becomes useless. They will never do it. IW is all talk and there are plenty of suckers who are sucking on their tit believing that something is actually coming out. The people who buy/bought this game are straight up suckers.

Couldent some one just make a mw2 mod for cod4? Like maps guns and perks? Graphics are bout same anyway.

money-man-laughing.jpg

Has anybody tried the private server option? At least you could control who you let in. I know you don't get XP but it would probably be worth it to keep the hackers out. What I don't understad is why it has a password option if it is private.

Couldent some one just make a mw2 mod for cod4? Like maps guns and perks? Graphics are bout same anyway.

This is what I was thought as well. It may take a bit more time, but you could easily get all the assets in there such that you'd basically have "MW2Mod" servers for MW. It would certainly work better than having to hack MW2. Besides, weren't people complaining that you can't mod MW2? Wouldn't making a MW2 mod for MW solve that problem?

Indeed Battlefield Bad Company 2 here we come :cool:

You ain't fucking kidding about that. I've been a pub nub and a competition player of the CoD series since it first came out, and I'm done with the series after this debacle. I waited all year for this game, and then no dedi server, no console, and no lean. That is such bullshit. PC gamers made the CoD series what it is, and IW just gave the shit over to the console players...

How do you figure? Sales have been higher on console since CoD2.

The original concept was one built for the PC and was sucessful because lots of PC gamers went out and bought the game and then the expansion. Like many other much loved series/franchises that started on the PC the consoles have come along for their slice of the pie and the multiplatform sequels have sucked compared to the original.

The original concept was one built for the PC and was sucessful because lots of PC gamers went out and bought the game and then the expansion. Like many other much loved series/franchises that started on the PC the consoles have come along for their slice of the pie and the multiplatform sequels have sucked compared to the original.

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean that the first one "made" the series. From my view, CoD4 made the series what it is today.

Perhaps, but that doesn't mean that the first one "made" the series. From my view, CoD4 made the series what it is today.

CoD4 gave the series a big boost in popularity no doubt but it would have never been made had the series not initially taken off. It just irks me that developers create these great ideas for games on the PC and then the development studio basically sacrafices a lot of what makes the game good to make it appeal to the masses to make more money, consolitis at work :(

Yeah the matchmaking kinda sucks in this game. I dont really think they try for the intelligent design they talked about. I keep getting put in with lvl 70 prestige players. When im only lvl 16 and not that good of a player.

CoD4 gave the series a big boost in popularity no doubt but it would have never been made had the series not initially taken off. It just irks me that developers create these great ideas for games on the PC and then the development studio basically sacrafices a lot of what makes the game good to make it appeal to the masses to make more money, consolitis at work :(

I think it is good business practice at work, not consolitis. Regardless of whether or not piracy actually affects these companies' bottom lines the way they claim it does, they are behaving as if it does. Their perception is that the PC is a den of piracy, so they act accordingly. PC gaming will probably never disappear altogether, but the fact is that the PC and console games are being homogenized. You just don't need the relative horsepower that you used to need to play the top PC games. Hell, the most popular PC games being played are ancient (WoW, CS, CS:S) and don't require much to play.

Is PC gaming dying? No. Is it healthy? No. You have piracy to blame for that, whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

Draconian DRM schemes didn't work because there was too much bad press. So now, instead of limiting the user, they are limiting the games by not advancing the state of the art with the pace of PC development anymore.

Consolitis is a self-inflicted disease.

I think cod is dead on pc after bfbc2 gets released no one is gonna look back at iwnet bullshit. I see so many hackers on mw2 its crazy i never seen this kind of rampant hacking in cod4 cause the noobs would get banned from teh servers.

I can not wait till bc2 comes out i will switch and never look back. Not that im foolish enough to think iw cares as there main concern is consoles and that fine let EA make teh pc gamers money.

I heard IW is coming out with a new patch that will allow dedicated servers but it will cost $20.
/s

Yeah the matchmaking kinda sucks in this game. I dont really think they try for the intelligent design they talked about. I keep getting put in with lvl 70 prestige players. When im only lvl 16 and not that good of a player.

I think this is my second biggest problem with this game. The matchmaking is fucked to say the least.

I'm at lvl 70 and the other day I was in a lobby that was fairly evenly split between stars (50+) or multiple prestige players on the one hand and stripes (30 and below) on the other. The stars and multi-prestige folks were all on one team.

I don't really think there is any matchmaking function in this game based on some of the lobbies I've played in.

There wouldn't have been a CoD4 if PC gamers hadn't supported CoD, CoD United Offensive, and CoD2.

There wouldn't have been a CoD4 if PC gamers hadn't supported CoD, CoD United Offensive, and CoD2.

Winner winner chicken dinner!! IW is like all large companies though there just seeing what they can get away with. I just hope that if bc2 is good all pc gamers buy the game legit and make a statment.

Is PC gaming dying? No. Is it healthy? No. You have piracy to blame for that, whether anyone wants to admit it or not.

I would have to argue that point. Producers of copyable content have ALWAYS complained of copyright infringement and piracy. Guess what? Music is still selling, book are still selling, movies are still selling (and making a HUGE profit, BTW), and so are games.

The big console push is not about piracy, even though the companies will spew this as if it were truth. Consoles are a known quantity. Easy to develop for (relative to the hardware nightmare that is PC gaming), and a larger market.

Basically it makes economic sense to develop on a console VS a PC, if the consoles have the horsepower to run the game. And they do now.

PC gaming will not die, but it's heyday is over.

Back