Should Twitter Have a Seat in Court?

HardOCP News

[H] News
As long as you aren't a juror and it doesn't have an impact on the proceedings, I don't see what is wrong with tweeting from court. Do you?

The top judge in England and Wales ruled this week that there is no ban on observers in the courtroom using Twitter to communicate with the outside world. It is a good and important ruling, which recognizes the ways in which technology can be used to make legal proceedings more accessible. And it's one that the U.S. should follow in an effort to let technology play a greater role in opening up the justice system to the public.

just dont demand to have your court appearance recorded by the actual court reporter, or you might get up to 75 years in jail HERE in the grand ol USA http://reason.org/news/show/the-war-on-cameras

Well he was stupid for not knowing the right to record laws in his state. He is in a state where apparently both parties have to agree, if the recorder would have been off when the judge asked, he would still be a free man.

Most court proceedings in the United States are open to the public and you can just go in and sitdown and watch. Most judges, however, get really militant when they see someone just chilling in the back of the courtroom because people usually don't do that. However, there are very strict rules about recording, photographing, etc., that you do have to watch out for. Some places will not let you bring in a cellphone with a camera on it.

Anyway, most courtrooms these days use digital audio recorders throughout the court which are later transcribed, or sometimes transcribed on the fly with the reporter sitting there. You then get a transcript of the hearing. They have to be recorded for appellate purposes.

The laws against not photographing the police, however, are total bullshit and need to be stopped.

No we dont need twitter. Im not paying some kid to sit in a court room and twit about a court case.

NOT NEEDED

The UK is getting so asinine with their new regulating tech laws, it gives off the impression that everyone making the laws in the UK clearly don't know anything about advancing technology. The shit they are coming up with the past few months makes me never want to even think about going to the UK.

I don't even see a problem with a Juror Tweeting as long as they aren't tweeting about the case they are sitting on.

Its britain... like everything else over there lately.. you will see someone get arrested making threats on twitter about a court case they are viewing.. and then they get banned.. easy peasy... just like half the other bullshit stuff they have been passing over there after some random tip to alert police or MI6(Whom is usually running the specific op to change legislation)... watch.. you know it will happen... nothing like a good conspiracy to take away more liberties in the the United Kingdom of Slavery...

I don't even see a problem with a Juror Tweeting as long as they aren't tweeting about the case they are sitting on.

Because paying attention to the case is not important.... just agree with everyone else whom was paying attention, right? :D

How is this even debatable? Aren't cell phones banned in court rooms anyways? From my exp, the judge would have you arrested for calling or texting, or being a goof when you are supposed to be judging the case.

Yea really, last thing we need is jurors tweeting, checking facebook, or playing games in court.

The UK is getting so asinine with their new regulating tech laws, it gives off the impression that everyone making the laws in the UK clearly don't know anything about advancing technology. The shit they are coming up with the past few months makes me never want to even think about going to the UK.

Its britain... like everything else over there lately.. you will see someone get arrested making threats on twitter about a court case they are viewing.. and then they get banned..

You did read the article right? It clearly said there was no ban on using twitter in court.

Why stop there? Why not get 4chan to participate in the court rulings?

Yeah, like I'd want to rest the fate of my life by the minds (or lack of) of tweeters and 4chan'ers.

You did read the article right? It clearly said there was no ban on using twitter in court.

Yes, clearly that's what I wrote what I wrote... that's RUH-TAH-DID for them to allow. It should be banned by common sense, me thinks! :eek:

As long as your not INSIDE the courtroom, and your not part of the jury, and your not tweeting about things prudent to any case, you should be allowed to do as your wish.

just dont demand to have your court appearance recorded by the actual court reporter, or you might get up to 75 years in jail HERE in the grand ol USA http://reason.org/news/show/the-war-on-cameras

If you are going to make a statement that is completely contradicted by a link then don't post the link showing you are wrong lol. He did not get in trouble for demanding a court reporter in the courtroom.

I can't believe the judge claimed he had an expectation of privacy when ruling over something in a public courtroom... just seems absurd to me and I can't imagine a judge saying that.

Back