Should I Wait to Buy a 27in Gaming Monitor?

FRZ

2[H]4U
Since the 2080 ti no longer supports DVI, I figured it was a good time to upgrade my Overlord Tempest.

Tried the Alienware aw3418dw, but it's just too wide for me :/

Is there anything on the horizon I should wait for, or is there a 27in monitor out now I should consider?

Budget is around $600-800 and strongly prefer IPS.

If you can stretch your budget slightly, I'd recommend the Acer xb273k. If not the xv273k is the same monitor but is "Freesync" and doesn't have the Gsync tax (but is now "Gsync certified" or whatever nVidia is calling it).
I think the xb273k is worth the $1100 though for essentially a monitor that is capable of doing everything (albeit with only a low level of HDR).

If you can stretch your budget slightly, I'd recommend the Acer xb273k. If not the xv273k is the same monitor but is "Freesync" and doesn't have the Gsync tax (but is now "Gsync certified" or whatever nVidia is calling it).
I think the xb273k is worth the $1100 though for essentially a monitor that is capable of doing everything (albeit with only a low level of HDR).[/QUOTE

Wow those are some pricey screens. Are there any new revisions set to come out soon? Would hate to drop that much on a monitor only to have the new version released a few months later

They both just dropped in January. Acer tried to have them out into the world in 2018 (they were announced during the summer), but they didn't make it to the channel until this year. Basically they're lower cost versions of the X27 (using the same panel, the major difference is they don't have FALD). If you can afford an X27, then for sure go for that, but that thing costs more than most people's entire builds.

It's likely that AOC, LG, and Samsung will all produce more/other 4k 120Hz displays. However these monitors basically have the entire spec list. So even though there might be some cheaper alternatives coming soon, it isn't likely that we'll see supremely better ones for a while.

Lots of good options. You can wait but I never like waiting as there is always something new coming.

G-Sync / FreeSync is key. I would look for that (Nvidia supports some FreeSync monitors now, but not all so do some research first).

With a 2080 TI you can go to 4K if you want (60Hz) or do 1440p high refresh (e.g. 144Hz). Either choice should be good depending what you want.

Thanks for the input, really appreciate the advice.

The XB27K looks really nice, but I don't think I can stomach paying that much for the screen.

Is there anything with similar specs to the aw3418dw, but with a 27in screen size?

Just have ad27qd. Very nice quality and picture quality. The monitor is better than xv272up for sure.

Buuuut I have issues with dp interface. The monitor becomes unresponsive when I launch some hdr games and I cannot even turn it off

Just FYI the Nvidia 2080 ti FE cones with a display port to DVI adapter. I use it for my secondary monutor, it works fine. If you have another card that doesn't come with the adapter, you should be able to find an adapter that will do the trick....

Back