Should I wait till summer for the GTX 1180 or get a 2070 or 2080 now ?

Throwing good money after bad is how bankrupt companies think.
Every dollar spent on R&D has no return on investment until the R&D is finished and the product comes to fruition. You often have to continue to invest in R&D over time to develop a product. All initial R&D investment can seen as bad money if you are only looking at the cost as a loss on your balance sheet before the product is made and sold.

I'm personally saving up for a bit of a rebuild. Thinking I'll keep my case, hard drives, PSU etc. but will likely move on from my cpu, mobo, ram and video card. I'm kind of just banking on Ryzen 3000 series cpus being good, and seeing if navi is worth a damn. Otherwise, I'll probably nab a 2070 or a vega 64. I dont see the 1180 being a thing, but a 2060/70 would be a nice hold over until nvidia has 7nm GPUs.

Maybe I'm just old but when I watch comparison videos of battlefield with RTX on and off I'm sitting there scratching my head as I have to look pretty damn hard to notice a difference. I got a used 1080 in Nov and that will tide me over. I'll get a ray tracing card when I can tell the difference

Reactions: Auer
like this
Maybe I'm just old but when I watch comparison videos of battlefield with RTX on and off I'm sitting there scratching my head as I have to look pretty damn hard to notice a difference. I got a used 1080 in Nov and that will tide me over. I'll get a ray tracing card when I can tell the difference

I know I am in the minority on [H], but I noticed a long time ago that a lot of extra graphic enhancement is largely irrelevant to me. Sure I can see it, subjectively and even objectively I can see that it is better.

But 5 minutes into playing a game, that is all forgotten.

I am playing Vanilla Fallout: New Vegas these days. It's ~10 years old, and I have no complaint about the graphics at all. I get totally immersed in the experience, and really enjoy the environment.

In my case I got the 2070 because it allows me to play the games I like in 4k and has a 3 year warranty.

Vega was seriously considered too.

RT and all that didn't factor in at this stage but I'll admit that power consumption did although usually I don't care too much about that.

Seemed like a decent deal for $500.

BFV is using ray tracing in a very limited sense (reflections only). Without RT, they still have reflections, but using older methods like screen space reflections, which can still look pretty good (but with some artifacts).

The difference is not huge, especially for the performance cost. You should check out Metro Exodus, they do the lighting with ray tracing and there is a noticeable improvement in realism.

The killer app for RT is global illumination, there is a significant difference, but the hardware is not up to the task yet to get multi sources and true realism in real tme. It will eventually be the standard though.

The killer app for RT is global illumination, there is a significant difference, but the hardware is not up to the task yet to get multi sources and true realism in real tme. It will eventually be the standard though.

IMO, it really won't take off until both NVidia and AMD have capable RT HW and they can do less work faking it.

5 years from now I predict Higher/Ultra settings in games will be RT lighting, and Lower/Mid settings will have worse lighting than today, since there won't be as much work put into faking high quality lighting and shadows when RT HW is commonplace.

Back