Should I wait for new batch of Chromebooks?

Randominal

Limp Gawd
I'm tempted to buy an Acer c720 (sadly can only get the 2GB version as I'm in the UK) and stick Ubuntu on it as a replacement for my clunky 2008 era Dell Vostro.

I've found a refurb unit for £140 which I would love to stick a 128GB SSD into. However I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for the new batch of Chromebooks with Baytrail CPUs that might come in August.

Do you reckon the better performance would be worth waiting for?

I will mostly be using the laptop for web-browsing, but would love to be able to play a bit of Dota2 (minimum settings are fine).

If the 2GB C720 can handle Dota (I've seen people mention it runs on the 4GB version) then I will probably just buy that.

Bay Trail will improve on weight, battery life, or both. Don't expect higher performance compared to the Haswell Celerons. Do note that Dota 2 lists 4 GB RAM in their system requirements, so the game might not run optimally on a 2 GB laptop.

The only Chromebook I would consider worth waiting for is the RK3288 based one, but it probably won't run Dota 2. ;)

Hmm good point on the system requirements. But presumably a swap partition should help that?

You can set up swap or (preferably) zram, but if the game actually uses 4 GB RAM it can become rather slow and possibly unplayable. Maybe you can find reports in their support forums from users who try to run it with 2 GB.

If you have access to another Linux system that is otherwise capable of running Dota 2, you can boot it with mem=2048M kernel parameter and then try to start the game.

Back