Should I upgrade to vista just for DX10?

lifanus

Gawd
Is it worth the upgrade? Anyone did the switch could tell me a little about your experience? I have xp pro now...

well for games like crysis, there is a patch to get dx10 effects, but then you don't use 4gb of ram..

I'd upgrade to vista.

If you really want DX 10 then I would suggest trying Server 2008. It's Vista stripped down. You can try it for free for like 200 days from MS and see if you like it.

Have it, hated it. No.

yea, ok.

Vista has been nothing but awesome to me. There are some annoying features (UAC) that are enabled by default; you can disable them pretty easily. Aside from that, it looks great, runs well, and is very snappy indeed. I would recommend it day in and day out.

Plus, since you have 4gb of ram; your 32bit OS can't utilize it all to any application; thus you would benefit from the Vista x64 edition. Plus, if Crysis showoff at Nvision 08 is any indication of the final product; it's memory usage may prove Vista x64 beneficial.

After moving to vista, I cant stand XP. For me, vista really is faster... it handles sleep/suspend modes better on my PC (had issues with XP - not the norm, but for me vista doesn't have those problems.) Also, when I upgraded I grabbed an extra 2gb of ram since x64 can allocate 4gigs properly.

If you are happy with XP, there is no reason to upgrade - but if XP isn't cutting it, vista might help.

DX10 is NOT enough to upgrade however. It's not used enough to justify anything... you could easily wait until you NEED to have it.

After moving to vista, I cant stand XP. For me, vista really is faster... it handles sleep/suspend modes better on my PC (had issues with XP - not the norm, but for me vista doesn't have those problems.) Also, when I upgraded I grabbed an extra 2gb of ram since x64 can allocate 4gigs properly.

If you are happy with XP, there is no reason to upgrade - but if XP isn't cutting it, vista might help.

DX10 is NOT enough to upgrade however. It's not used enough to justify anything... you could easily wait until you NEED to have it.

I agree on your DX10 point; but it may be worth it for some.
For example, LOTRO looks 10x better with Dynamic shadows that can only be enabled via DX10.

Is it worth the upgrade? Anyone did the switch could tell me a little about your experience? I have xp pro now...

Try it out.

90% of the people that complain and say it is buggy and doesn't run right have never tried it.

I went vista x64 last year and have never looked back.
There hasn't been 1 game or application that has gave me errors or failed to run in vista.
Every single program I ran in XP, work the same in Vista.

Even all my PC's at work are being converted over to Vista.

It is the future. I bet you in a year or two it is going to be the same thing with Windows 7 & Vista (in relation to Vista & XP)

Me too. I was a XP loyalist for years, win 2000 etc and Vista passes my approval. It's good when you know what you're doing with it. Very cool os.

I have it dual booted on my desktop with xp and when I bought my laptop 3 months ago it came with it. I had initial pains with the security features and I still don't get the whole file sharing thing. Seems to be more difficult getting my files shared on my network than using just xp. Could be a personal issue.

But,overall, I don't even notice the difference anymore. So use a kids report card and get the education version for $60. That way your not out that much if you hate it. ;)

You shouldn't upgrade to Vista, because of just DX10. You should upgrade to Vista, because it's a better OS. Not to say that XP isn't good, but I switched to Vista 64 about 2-3 months ago and the experience has been smooth. Smoother than my switch from Windows 2000 to XP. No problems whatsoever, games run flawlessly and it's very smooth with desktop applications. Obviously, I can't compare it directly with XP Pro 32 Bit, because the system I was running it, is significantly inferior to my current setup with Vista 64, but I really have no complaints against Vista 64.

Slight hijack. Any Vista tips on sharing my files on my home network? Seems like the only way I've been able to share files from my main rig is to create another user account. Then log in from my other pcs using that account. Of course after a couple days I forget what that account was and can't log in till I go fix it. God, it's like I'm at work :D. I'm just trying to connect with my laptop from another room not break into fort knoxx. :p I much prefer XPs way of right click share and its done.

Go for Vista 64-bit. It feels a lot faster than 32-bit. I ran 32-bit for a year and then went for the 64-bit install and it was night and day.

I recently decided to get Vista x64 based substantially on recommendations like this thread. "no problems" "great OS" "I can't imagine going back" "everything worked just fine".

I've only spent a certain amount of time with it so far, but I've found the following:

- a fresh Vista Ultimate install running Aero "feels" about as snappy as my 2 year old XP install. A fresh XP install is way snappier.

- I cannot get my DTP-94 hardware colorimeter and colour profiling software to work. All of the things that are supposed to work give an install error.

- I'm getting really cheesed off about Audigy2 sound, driver issues, Creative's planned obsolescence. I didn't expect to be facing such challenges with sound and I don't really feel like upgrading since the capabilities (crippled Vista drivers aside) of my Audigy 2ZS are just fine. Further I do use EAX sometimes but don't want to give Creative any more $$ after the Vista-related screwing we've received. Xonar DX, D2X and vapourware Auzentech PCIe Prelude are on my list.

- I've had a number of strange periods where the OS simply hangs for 30 seconds, a few frustrating crashes. I don't even really have any software installed yet, just trying to sort out drivers, settings, anti-virus, firefox. My system is rock solid under XPSP2. I've installed Vista twice now, test driving, checking drivers, getting things messy and re-installing with lessons learned.

- I'm a little concerned about my webcam (Fusion), mouse (MX510), other gaming input controllers (Formula Force, Force feedback joystick) working OK. Everything doesn't seem to be 100% like with XP, and some manufacturers are simply thumbing their nose at you for not replacing everything just to run Vista.

- I find that some of the side panels and "helpful" layout is not designed as well as it could be. Uniform fonts, lack of bolding, insufficient whitespace etc... make some of the "quick" side panels in requestors and folders less helpful than they'd seem. It's just a huge unsorted list of a bunch of context-sensitive features. Eventually one would get accustomed to exactly what functions and features are located where but something just "isn't right" for a new user right out of the box - hard to put my finger on.

- Vista looks pretty, and does make XP *look* old, but I still boot XP as my main OS.

E6400, 4GB RAM, P5B-E, 8800GTS 512, Audigy 2ZS, Sony GDM-F520

My install is a few months old and it feels about as fast as the core2s (e6400) at school running fresh (NOTHING on these machines at all) XP installs. Around this point my XP installs would be dragging ass but Vista doesn't seem to slowdown much at all after long usage.

DirectX 10 alone is not a good reason to switch to Vista. Switch because it is a much better OS than XP.

Vista hate is still rampant because people have not used it and heard bad things about it. This kid in my class got a laptop and it has vista and he says "It's a ram hog and I want XP back," but after explaining how Vista uses ram and only using 20% of your ram all the time is a total waste he just said, "Well it's stupid and XP is better." His girlfriend is fat, don't be like him.

Thank you for all your valuable comments. I ordered vista home basic 64bit because i can't handle other multimedia bloatware that's in vista's other higher level editions and I really don't need the added business security programs. I use dedicated applications for every task I do..

It's cheap enough to buy and try and not to lose anything, plus I still have my xp pro on hand if the experience turns out to be negative :) So we'll see how it goes... I'm also getting 4 more gig of ram maybe that'll help vista the memory hog

Maybe those Vista naysayers should try out this new MS OS called Mohave. I've heard it's so much better!

not to mention nuclear bombs in crysis.

lol nuclear bombs in Crysis are a fucking joke , seriously they made me laugh, you think with all that graphical horsepower they could create a simple mushroom cloud. Instead its a red glow with some shitty wind effects.

If you want Bomb effects in DX10 play some World in Conflict.

i wouldnt upgrade to vista JUST for dx10.. I would upgrade to vista for a whole slew of other reasons.

64-bit support is nonexistent on XP, along with usage of full 4GB was the winner in my books. Plus, I had NO compatibility issues the number of times I've had to reinstall it just for fun..

Well here we are approaching nearly two years with DX10 and it’s STILL hard to recommend going to Vista just for its capabilities. It’s not hard to see why either considering the performance hits for most games aren’t worth it. I would look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_10_support and see if there any games out or coming out soon that even use it.

In the end I went to Vista x64 because I was already using XP x64 and wanted to stay up on the new OS. I’d highly recommend you do the same and with RAM prices so cheap getting 4 GIGs+ in your system shouldn’t be too much of a stretch.

Try it out.

90% of the people that complain and say it is buggy and doesn't run right have never tried it.

I went vista x64 last year and have never looked back.
There hasn't been 1 game or application that has gave me errors or failed to run in vista.
Every single program I ran in XP, work the same in Vista.

Even all my PC's at work are being converted over to Vista.

It is the future. I bet you in a year or two it is going to be the same thing with Windows 7 & Vista (in relation to Vista & XP)

Have x64 home premium, CS Source, COD4, LFS and Race 07 all crashed randomly. I have four gigs of ram, and a q6600. The visual aspects of it are pleasing, the rest is well... not.

I went back to XP, installed the vista visuals and haven't had a problem (Before today).

ntldr error this afternoon for no reason. Not quite sure why, though I think it was the boot.ini or mbr messed up. Reinstalling now.

lol nuclear bombs in Crysis are a fucking joke , seriously they made me laugh, you think with all that graphical horsepower they could create a simple mushroom cloud. Instead its a red glow with some shitty wind effects.

If you want Bomb effects in DX10 play some World in Conflict.

I don't know which crysis you're playing but DX10 enabled Crysis servers have spectacular mushroom cloud effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzfQX228XDk

Back