should i upgrade to the x800?

ockky

n00b
i've got a p4 2.7 with a gig of pc2700 and a 9700 pro. is my processor going to be fast enough to push the x800, or would i just be wasting my time. . .

someone needs to create a site that keeps comparisons on all of these cards . . .i'd do it, but i have a dog

thanks for the help and opinions

Well while you WOULD see gains in basically all of your games.....you won't be even close to pushing the video card to it's limits.....and neither would I with my 3.5GHz 2.8C.....it's a reality that we all have to face. There's some TRUELY hardcore folks over at XtremeSystems that are pushing their A64's over 3GHz.....and are STILL seeing significant gains in 3DMark03 as a result.....which means that the system is STILL trying to catch up to the card, and overclocking the rest of the system is enabling it to feed it that much more data and become that much less of a bottleneck.

So in short, the card would be a very nice upgrade.....but dont expect to be pulling some of the same numbers you've been seeing in reviews around the net. I dont' wanna get you down on it though, you'd still be quite pleased with the card. Don't feel bad that you wouldn't be getting the most out of the card if you upgraded.....'cus almost NONE of us would be. The potential of these cards is going to take a fair bit of time to realise.....and it'll most likely take 'till later this year or so (again, pure speculation) when the rest of the system isn't bottlenecking the card.

Do what YOU feel is right. You can only do so much with all the facts.....and sooner or later you'll have to make a decision. I've given you the facts truthfully, how they should be presented, and now you can do what you like with them.

cornelious0_0 said:
Well while you WOULD see gains in basically all of your games.....you won't be even close to pushing the video card to it's limits.....and neither would I with my 3.5GHz 2.8C.....it's a reality that we all have to face. There's some TRUELY hardcore folks over at XtremeSystems that are pushing their A64's over 3GHz.....and are STILL seeing significant gains in 3DMark03 as a result.....which means that the system is STILL trying to catch up to the card, and overclocking the rest of the system is enabling it to feed it that much more data and become that much less of a bottleneck.

So in short, the card would be a very nice upgrade.....but dont expect to be pulling some of the same numbers you've been seeing in reviews around the net. I dont' wanna get you down on it though, you'd still be quite pleased with the card. Don't feel bad that you wouldn't be getting the most out of the card if you upgraded.....'cus almost NONE of us would be. The potential of these cards is going to take a fair bit of time to realise.....and it'll most likely take 'till later this year or so (again, pure speculation) when the rest of the system isn't bottlenecking the card.

Do what YOU feel is right. You can only do so much with all the facts.....and sooner or later you'll have to make a decision. I've given you the facts truthfully, how they should be presented, and now you can do what you like with them.

Do you know if Fugger has gotten hold of an x800 to put under that 4.5 gigs EE?

MemoryInAGarden said:
Do you know if Fugger has gotten hold of an x800 to put under that 4.5 gigs EE?

Well with a Pentium 4 [email protected] I've been able to pull results very very close to what the review sites have been getting with 3.4EE based systems that have similar configuration to mine.

So I think if you can match the clock speeds of some of these machines on the net with an X800Pro and a similar system you'll get comparable results.

But right now it's hard to feed the video card enough CPU speed to really let the sucker perform. Which is actually nice. Because now after getting the video card you can concentrate your upgrades on the CPU side.

Even though your system might be throttling potential framerates, it won't be throttling the high-res shader, AA and AF goodness that you'll be getting.

Back