Should I Upgrade to a Sapphire 7950 OC

Riddlemethisj

Limp Gawd
In my current setup I have xfire sapphire 6950s powering my Dell U2711. When playing games like bf3 at 2560 x 1440 those cards get a little to loud for my taste. I've been hearing how the 7950 is fairly quite and was wondering if I should switch over. My major concern is if a single 7950 will be playable at that resolution. One side note, I have 2 side monitors at 1280 x 1024 and I plan on using a 6450 I have lying around to power those to take some of the strain off my main card while gaming, is this feasible or should I just power these small monitors off my main card.

My first post go easy if I messed something up.

7950 will be more than playable at that resolution. That said, it is more of a side-grade than an upgrade and that's a lot of coin to spend on a side-grade, unless you're selling your 6950's and spending little to nothing for the 7950.

As far as the other monitors, unless you have video or something playing while you're gaming, they really aren't using any GPU power, just a small amount of vram.

Yeah I'm picking the 7950 up for $460 and hoping to sell the 6950s for $210 each. Since powering the other monitors won't tax the card to much I'll probably just give the 6450 to my brother as he doesn't have a card in his rig. Thanks for your help

Not now. Wait to see what HD7870 or NVIDIA Kepler offer. It wont be much longer.

I would wait for Kepler but I kind of want to jump on this deal. I haven't been into computers for too long so I don't know if there is a big price drop in amd cards when nvidia comes out with theirs.

Yeah I'm picking the 7950 up for $460 and hoping to sell the 6950s for $210 each. Since powering the other monitors won't tax the card to much I'll probably just give the 6450 to my brother as he doesn't have a card in his rig. Thanks for your help

After reading your post I got curious and installed a PCI GeForce 520 to power my 1280x1024 monitor. Memory usage was 83MB with a jpg wallpaper and 4 gadgets on the screen.

Not jinxing anything, but I am gonna laugh if it ends up being a let-down. :p

Not jinxing anything, but I am gonna laugh if it ends up being a let-down. :p

That would depend on what your expectations are. There's really no doubt that it's going to be competitive as far as performance is concerned. The 79xx series isn't THAT much faster than the 580 so there really shouldn't be a problem getting similar performance. The question is going to come down to pricing.

You guys talked me out of it ><. Also thanks Ramon for letting me know I don't need a secondary card for side monitors, my brother is enjoying it much more than I would have.

Back