should i upgrade my hd 7950.

purple_haze

2[H]4U
i am thinking of building a new 7600k/7700k or ryzen varient system.

my current system is an old 2500k with a hd 7950. I have not really played many new computer games besides some overwatch and SC2. I don't know if an upgrade is worth it right now. I sadly game on my ps4 more than in front of my pc. IS the hd 7950 still a viable video card right now or should i try to sell it on ebay and get a better graphics card along with the computer build. I am having the itch to upgrade but it seems the graphics power is at a point that we don't have to upgrade very couple years as it was arms race as it was back then.

the 7950 is still quite good enough and with how little you play and the lack of decent upgrade options and those left with inflated prices, staying put may be the best bet for now at least. Now when you do upgrade and see what a newer card brings in higher settings and view then it will be worth it. Just not now with lack of options and the higher prices ( above MSRP).

The 7950 is pretty much a r9 280 FYI you might be able to flash it to a similar MFG and card bios' for a little bit of a boost. I have had success with the 7970 to 280x cards in the past. That being said these cards a worth a ton to crypto miners just check out fleabay. I think you would get similar class performance from a 4gb Rx 560 or a 1050 or 1050ti if you wanted a card making less noise or heat in the system. You might even come out ahead in $ if you wanted to bother.
As far as upgrades, since you don't really game much and the market is way jacked right now it is probably best to sit on the card if you don't want the hassel. Just my 2c.

If you are only playing SC2 and OW, then you should keep your machine until you play newer games.

Amazon delivers quickly enough.

Stick with your current card unless you're planning to sell it. Anything higher-end than a 1050ti won't be worth getting at current prices.

Yep. I'd wait a bit before deciding. There's apparently a bitcoin/cryptocurrency mining craze, or some such, going on at the moment. GPU supply is low and prices are very, very high.

Only you know if you arent happy with it.
Sounds like you dont really care.

my computer is gonna be looking kind of ridiculous
MSI 270 m5
Intel 7700k
16 gb of DDR4 and a radeon 7950
I would have never thought in a million years i would have a graphics card as a hold over from previous generation computer builds as it is usually just the computer case and speakers.

Im thinking of upgrading my card. I could give you my old one if youd like. Its faster than a 7950

Sorry didnt say it was a msi two fan 980 gtx. Thing is huge though. Measure the case

Anyway going to the microcenter. I live in atlanta and am lucky enough to have one near me. Once i can confirm my new ti works the 980 will be redundant. I'm not the best at this. I took a picture so they could tell if it will fit and cannot figure out how to put it on the forum.

Last edited:
I can tell you what I can still do with a 7950 , I have a x58 3 way SLi board and can run 3 cards of HD7990/7970/7950 or R-9 280/280X and with the Club 3D 1.2mini dp to 2.0 HDMI I can push 4K 60Hz which 2 x 7950 is 290x performance .. if you had a 6x 1.2mini dp 7970 then you should be able to push 6 x 4K 60Hz displays (with 6 Club 3D's) and If that card crossfires then back it up with a 7990x 2 which should yield nice performance , but I would love to get my hands on a 295x2 running a Club 3d on my 42" 4K 60Hz display.

Anyway going to the microcenter. I live in atlanta and am lucky enough to have one near me. Once i can confirm my new ti works the 980 will be redundant. I'm not the best at this. I took a picture so they could tell if it will fit and cannot figure out how to put it on the forum.

That would be awesome.

Yea it works just fine. I know you don't know me and all that so I'll let you decide where you want it shipped. Just send me a private message I guess. I think you'll love this card from a 7950. One thing you should know is this model's fans don't cut on until you get to a certain temp. So, don't think there is anything wrong with it. If you are going with 7700k, you'll be able to play at the higher end of 1080p for sure. Maybe you'll get back into pc gaming :)

Last edited:
That and he'll be able to sell his 7950 for a pretty penny still.

For sure, I just don't mess with selling gpus. Just not worth it to me, I like to give a home like a puppy. Anyway purple, I was lazy and just got around to getting my new Aorus 1080 ti this afternoon. I'll ship the 980 from work tomorrow. I'll send you the tracking via private. Let me know how it works out for you. I"m gonna send it priority so I can make up some time.

For sure, I just don't mess with selling gpus. Just not worth it to me, I like to give a home like a puppy. Anyway purple, I was lazy and just got around to getting my new Aorus 1080 ti this afternoon. I'll ship the 980 from work tomorrow. I'll send you the tracking via private. Let me know how it works out for you. I"m gonna send it priority so I can make up some time.

Got an Aorus 1080 ti a few weeks back. Awesome card. Definitely the best (and heftiest) air-cooling solution I've seen since maybe the 7900 x2. Just don't bother with Gigabyte's OC tool, it's really cludgy.

That 980 is going to be a huge step up for OP.

Unless you're in the market for a 1080Ti, this is the worst time to upgrade due to the mining craze. Mid-tier cards are hard to find and when you do find them they are over priced.

purple_haze Sell the 7950 while people mine... It might not be the most sought after card currently but the prices now are unbeatable... Take that money and put it into something newer if you have the funds. If not then its still plenty strong enough for most of what you do then keep it.

Ya, I'm finally sending that card today. Believe me, I won't be offended if you bundle up both cards and get a latest gen card.

You all were right about that Aurus. This is the first GPU upgrade that I've done in some time that I felt zero buyer's remorse over. Incredible boost to my gaming performance.

Back