Should i upgrade? i7 8700

Retrograde

n00b
A buddy of mine has a Ryzen 3900X he's looking to dump for $250. i found a decent board itx Asrock board for $125 and 32gb ddr3200 ram for $90 that i could get to go with it.

i mainly play games at 1080p and 1440p. my monitory is only 75hz. i play Warzone / MW2019 / Coldwar / Vanguard / PubG / Anno series / Surviving the Aftermath / Endzone: A World Apart. etc..
i do web, python, rust, and Go development in fedora linux so i run several VMs in QUEMU and also 3-4 docker containers.

i currently run:
i7 8700 non k
Asus Rog Strix B360-i gaming
T-force16Gb ddr 2400 kit
RX 6700XT ref.
Aperio mini open-air case.
650 Corsiar PSU
2tb samsun evo SSD - sata
128gb samsung SSD - nvme
480gb WD Blue SSD -sata

should i upgrade? Many Thanks!

it will only be a small improvement in most games. unless they use all the extra cores...
it should help a lot with vms though. not sure aboot the other stuff.

I'm going to guess that if you're running several VMs and 3-4 docker containers the extra cores are going to benefit you.

Gaming is probably a wash at 75Hz.

Gaming-wise there won't be any significant difference. These Coffe Lake processors were better at gaming than Ryzen 3xxx so it might actually hurt performance to do this change. Unless maybe you OC. These Ryzens you would be able to OC a little. Maybe tweak turbo multiplier or something.

Single core performance is similar. Slightly worse but almost the same.
Where you might see improvement is multi-threading due to additional cores.
If you often hit very high CPU usage then upgrade will help performance.

would 1950X be an upgrade? i can snag one of those for $200
Probably worse for gaming but better for VMs.
Most of these "upgrades" look like side grades to me.

I didn't see you describe any kind of pain point or issue that you want to improve.
Smoother fps, faster compute solutions, etc.

Maybe you just want to redo your build for fun - nothing wrong with that, but if you're really trying to "upgrade", take some time and focus on what kind of performance improvement you want and then people can better help you analyze which option makes sense.

In my opinion, those are all older parts it's rarely worth paying the nominal costs, efforts (and assuming the risks of issues or damage) to get something from the same era (unless, like in the case of a TR CPU, you have a specific use case)

My use case is Currently I’m fine with my FPS in the games I play. I do get sweaty in warzone and MW.
Honestly I would like to be able to run 6-10 vms. Those vm’s run a minified Ubuntu LTS server that I mainly use for building and training Neural networks that run for many hours. I sent light compilation tasks to them as well. I run all of databases, services and tools containerized as well.
Side note: I did see an i9 7900x for $175 as well.

Nope those will be ATX only
Have you thought about Getting separate rendering farm? Is it all CPU?

it's all CPU at the moment. i have a small form factor Dell Optiplex 7040M with i7 8 thread CPU, 16gb ram and a 1tb NVME in it running proxmox. i've got 4 LXC ubuntu servers running on it with 4gb ram and 2 threads on each that pass some of the jobs off to but it just can't keep up. that i guessi could be a server with that EPYC 24 core if i could find a board for it but they are so expensive.

it's all CPU at the moment. i have a small form factor Dell Optiplex 7040M with i7 8 thread CPU, 16gb ram and a 1tb NVME in it running proxmox. i've got 4 LXC ubuntu servers running on it with 4gb ram and 2 threads on each that pass some of the jobs off to but it just can't keep up. that i guessi could be a server with that EPYC 24 core if i could find a board for it but they are so expensive.

I think your at a crossroad. If it's all CPU bound you could run a new 7950x and virtualize the whole thing including passing a GPU directly to a VM and do VDI

Back