should I upgrade from 8500AIW for photoshop?

darw_n

[H]ard|Gawd
a client of mine is currently getting really into photoshop for his buisness, and it is making things difficult because he is using a pretty average home media PC

to make things more difficult, he thought it would be a good idea to by some off brand 32'' widescreen LCD, not a high quality monitor.

with that being said, he is having bluring of type within photoshop, they have a kinda white ghosting behind each letter, and the color is horrible, garrish at best. Picture look very good though.

so my question is this, would it be an improvment to upgrade from his 8500dv all in wonder to something else. He understands that his monitor is far from a graffix monitor, BUT, he would like to squeeze the most out of it.
]
also, what is a good app for "tuning" the color for photoshop?

any words would be great, its been a while scence I researched cards, and I am quite outta the loop

BTW, he never plays games, so that is not to be an issue, graffix and video only

and again, the big LCD is an off brand, but with all the needed inputs,

thanks

Ghosting could be caused by the LCD. Could be becasue the LCD refreshs slow. Other than that I dont know about it.

Photoshop is 2D and isn't affected by the 3D functions of the GPU, so having an older generation card that is of the "Radeon" generation shouldn't be an issue.

Upgrading the montior will have more of an impact than the card, me thinks.

I've got a AIW 8500DV and a AIW 9700 and they both perform the exact same in photoshop. You could throw a Voodoo3 in there and it wouldn't really matter. Photoshop is more CPU, RAM, and HDD Speed dependant and these are the areas you should focus on when building a photoshop related computer. That being said, you could get a Maxtrox Parhelia card, that is fine tuned towards photoshop. I hear it has some true color plugins that PS can use, but other than that I don't know of any graphics card that will really benefit PS more than another.

There is a color calibration program that comes with Photoshop to adjust your monitor. It should be under your Control Panel -> Adobe Gamma.

Back