Should I Upgrade from 6600 XT to 6750 XT?

djstarfox

Gawd
I want to play some older games at 4k 120Hz with medium detail. Currently, my 6600 XT is only getting 74 fps on the best days, and 40 fps on ultra detail. Would upgrading to 6750 XT, specifically the XFX Merc319 be enough of an upgrade? Looking to keep the price under $550, otherwise I would have to wait until xmas (to save more).

Specifically, I was optimizing for the TR games:
https://www.gpu-monkey.com/en/gpu_benchmark-shadow_of_the_tomb_raider-6

Granted this doesn't tell the entire story, looking at a healthy 50% bump on average at 4K.

1660234768945.png

Personally I'd spring for at least 60 fps in your favorite game/s. Also, I realize it's over budget, but the RX 6800 Red Dragon is currently within spitting distance of your budget at $580.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I agree with Spartan. If you could stretch the budget just a little the extra muscle the 6800 has will be quite noticeable over the 6750. Not trying to spend your money but it's good advice. The Red Dragon is a great choice as well. That being said, the jump from 6600XT to 6750XT will be quite noticeable. Just not the "whoa" that going to a 6800 would be.

I would wait just a bit longer. I agree 6800XT or bust.... Prices continue to fall

Hi all... I picked up a Red Dragon 6800 for $470 the other day (used). I see now the 6750 is $380... I like the card (it's a bit too big but I made it fit.), however the coil whine is CRAZY loud. I will search the forums to see if I can do anything about the noise.

Hi all... I picked up a Red Dragon 6800 for $470 the other day (used). I see now the 6750 is $380... I like the card (it's a bit too big but I made it fit.), however the coil whine is CRAZY loud. I will search the forums to see if I can do anything about the noise.
My 6700xt Red Devil has zero coil whine. I use the O/C bios and then just do my own voltage, fan speeds in wattman

My 6700xt Red Devil has zero coil whine. I use the O/C bios and then just do my own voltage, fan speeds in wattman
That's a good idea. I'll try the other BIOS setting. Right now, I'm only controlling the fan curve with CoreCtrl (Linux).

Can a weak power supply cause coil whine?

That's a good idea. I'll try the other BIOS setting. Right now, I'm only controlling the fan curve with CoreCtrl (Linux).

Can a weak power supply cause coil whine?
Yes if voltage is unstable. Coil happens under load, idle or both?

Hmm... Coil whine only happens under load, and the more intense the GPU usage, the louder it gets.

Bit late for this thread, but for anyone who cares, I upgraded my power supply and now the coil whine is much quieter. With vsync enabled (120Hz), it's almost silent.

Bit late for this thread, but for anyone who cares, I upgraded my power supply and now the coil whine is much quieter. With vsync enabled (120Hz), it's almost silent.

I had bad coil whine on my 6900XT with EVGA 850 Plat, moved to a Corsair RM1000x and it went away almost completely too.

I just picked up a 6750xt for my wife's machine to replace her 3060...for 400 at Microcenter. That was too good to pass up. Prices will fall but that was a solid win.

Back