Should I try WoW?

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
Well my vista RC1 copy expires in 9 days, looks like xp is going back on since my gaming has been a little limited, might invest in vista. Long story short is I played guild wars, have the original and factions, great game only thing I hate about it is how messed up the economy is, someone post a price change online and the value of something changes, there is also no auction house or anything like that, you must spend a good amount of time trying to sell some things. My boss go WoW, he let me try it, looks interesting, a little on the cartoonist side but it looks interesting, you can craft items, mine, fish and such. I am wondering should I even bother getting WoW?
I also did a beta test for the lord of the rings online, I think I should have gotten the prerelease lifetime membership.

No, don't do it. It is worse than crack. At first it seems cool and fun. Then 6 months later, you have no friends, you live in a pile of shit and you can't stop doing it. Then you resort to sucking dick to pay for it.

No, don't do it. It is worse than crack. At first it seems cool and fun. Then 6 months later, you have no friends, you live in a pile of shit and you can't stop doing it. Then you resort to sucking dick to pay for it.

For people that have absolutely no self control, yes I agree (which seems to be the norm for most people that play this game).

GTFO!

Seriously, the reports of people being addicted to it and it ruining there lives are greatly exaggerated. I have played for 2 years and I still have the same girlfriend I did when I started, I still am going to college and doing well, I still have the same job... People who are losers blame everything but themselves for their problems, and that is all it is

Don't even try WoW - not even for free.

Get a life (if u dont have one). Get g/f (or b/f) if you don't have one.

Embrace life and smell the rosses/coffee !!!

Life is so much more than grinding for that stupid piece of armor or weapon.

Please, for the love of god and yourself, walk away !!

Life is so much more than grinding for that stupid piece of armor or weapon.

Haha yea, I remember those days. Grinding aint as big now as it used to be pre-BC. Hell I do arena about 1-2 hours a week and have 3/5 of the Gladiator's set now (which will be about 3rd best when the patch comes out later today).

I think Blizz did a good job recently with the style. PvPers get the choice of 4 different battlegrounds and Arena for epic gear, while PvE people can do small 5-man instances (normal and heroic difficulty) and 25-man for the upper end. Still not as mind-boggling as the old 40-man instances tho. Overall its A LOT more friendly for casual players to get something worthwhile, without making it incredibly easy.

Go play DnD Online
Screw WoW or LoTR online
oh yea and stay the hell away from Evercrack 1 or 2

Haha yea, I remember those days. Grinding aint as big now as it used to be pre-BC. Hell I do arena about 1-2 hours a week and have 3/5 of the Gladiator's set now (which will be about 3rd best when the patch comes out later today).

grinding now is fun... i just got my 4th gladiator piece (4 piece set bonus, druid? 55% travel form :D ) and the game is addicting as ever.. I am grounded though in the fact that im taking summer classes and have a job... so those keep me away from it enough to be glued worse than i could be... (even though it is addicting as hell)

i think its better than wasting my spare time in front of the tv.. but at times i feel it takes up more time than i should let it...

So the reason i asked is because some of the annoyances of GW, it feels like most of the time you do mission with bots, and when you try to find a group for a mission is chaos. Having 10 slots for all your special skills can be a little limiting sometimes.
I have been gone from the GW for a while, I might be able to go back to it, due to RC1 I have technically dropped of a lot of things. If they found a way to expand the inventory then I think I will be going to play that again. The main question is will WoW really offer a lot more and is it worth the subscription fee? Only MMorpg I am really looking forward to is Fallout. About having a life I do have one and I don't really spend too much time at home.

grinding now is fun... i just got my 4th gladiator piece (4 piece set bonus, druid? 55% travel form :D ) and the game is addicting as ever.. I am grounded though in the fact that im taking summer classes and have a job... so those keep me away from it enough to be glued worse than i could be... (even though it is addicting as hell)

i think its better than wasting my spare time in front of the tv.. but at times i feel it takes up more time than i should let it...

It's technically not grinding, since you're not spending hours upon hours of repeating a process anymore :D. The decent quests with good rewards back in the day were a nightmare to complete. Cenarion Circle comes to mind. o_O;;

I'll have to say this now: I recommend WoW to people more than ever, simply because of how much easier it is to get high end gear, making it MUCH more casual-friendly. Sure you'll get it slower than the hardcore people, but at least youll get it. Back then, it was one of those "out of the question" things unless you were in a persistent 40-man raid following orders. Don't let the media fool you guys. They report BS about virtually everything in the country. The "WoW addiction" is no exception.

On a side note, I believe this next patch will buff virtually all the end-game armor sets, including tier 4, 5 and gladiators. Also, the epics from BGs are gonna be cheaper and receive a slight buff. The epic gems will also cost 10k-12k honor, which is an enormus cut. Casual players just got themselves another opportunity. :D

Fun game, can be addictive but not everybody gets addicted. If you have a measure of self-control go for it. If not then its probably a bad idea. As for fun? Hell yeah! If it wasn't fun people would not be getting addicted to it.

I played WoW for about a year and a half. Im married, graduated through college. Wow didnt make me a loser, though it does cause SOME relationship problems, I no longer play WoW, plus I only played for like..... 2 hours a week, so not worth me paying $15 a month. I play Rappelz now cause its free and your not being demanded to be on all the time.

Even if you don't become addicted, it's still stupid and pointless...

It's a game, just like any other. If you enjoy it it is not stupid and pointless. If you do not enjoy games then get out of the gaming forum.

Don't even try WoW - not even for free.
Get a life (if u dont have one). Get g/f (or b/f) if you don't have one.

And if he does have a life? If he does have a girlfriend? WoW is just a game, I see nothing that significantly distinguishes it from any other game (other than it is more fun than most). You DO NOT have to put in 40 hours a week to have fun, you do not have to quit your job or drop out of school or breakup with your significant other. People that do that are losers, and it is easier to blame a game than it is to blame themselves.

I find wow more rewarding than playing other video games. Takes FPS, you go in, shootem up and walk away no rewards for the time spent. Atleast wow if you sink your time you get some kind of reward (virtual or not)

I stopped playing wow because it became boring but I dont regret the 1 1/2 years I spent playing it. I held a steady job and my girfriend (who im now engaged to) with no problems balancing wow in there. I do agree though that if you want to be in one of those guilds that do the high end game raid your personal life will suffer somewhat.

But any person with half a brain and some self control can have a great time with this game and still have time for a real life.

I find wow more rewarding than playing other video games. Takes FPS, you go in, shootem up and walk away no rewards for the time spent. Atleast wow if you sink your time you get some kind of reward (virtual or not)
Not true. You get the satisfaction of knowing you f***ing pewed some guy's dome off before he even saw you. In some cases you may actually have rewards, like in BF2/2142, where you rank up and earn new weapon unlocks. And, almost every good FPS server has a ranking system. If you're high up there, it's good to have that number to flex your e-peen.

If they found a way to expand the inventory then I think I will be going to play that again. .

they recently expanded the inventory space in guild wars. the way it works is you get an extra page of storage per campaign you have. I think i have 4 pages now as an owner of factions and nightfall.

Not true...

It's his opinion, which I happen to share, you can't just dismiss it by saying "not true". What is "satisfying" is a personal thing. Maybe getting a headshot against the thousandth clone-enemy satisfies you. Maybe decimating a real life player in PvP thanks to your awesome gear that you spent hundreds of hours working for satisfies us.

It wont be worth it to start playing now IMO. becuase ounce you get to the 60 area you will miss out on alot of the end game content like Raids and such because alot of the major raiding guilds moved onto Outlands, you could possible find groups for some of the 5 man instances but not the 20 man raids

Not true. You get the satisfaction of knowing you f***ing pewed some guy's dome off before he even saw you. In some cases you may actually have rewards, like in BF2/2142, where you rank up and earn new weapon unlocks. And, almost every good FPS server has a ranking system. If you're high up there, it's good to have that number to flex your e-peen.

Hey dont get me wrong, I play BF2142 lots, its a very fun game, mainly because of its weapon unlocks. But I still find more satisfaction from games like world of warcraft. I get a different satisfaction from FPS rewards than I do from MMO rewards.

And to the guy saying not to get into it now, if his only goal is to do end game raiding then ya I can see your point but if he wants to be just a casual player then its a perfect time to join, still plently of people playing new characters and people signing up, as well he gets the benifit of a stable ingame economy which I wish I had when I started.

I love how the Wow Addicts come to defend themselves in every topic.

Is this what you do when not playing WoW? Defend yourselves on forums?

I mean honestly, I wouldn't be like this if you weren't so defensive ALL THE FUCKING TIME. If what people are saying is not true, then why not just ignore them? Unless it is true?

I mean honestly, I wouldn't be like this if you weren't so defensive ALL THE FUCKING TIME. If what people are saying is not true, then why not just ignore them? Unless it is true?

I love how the WoW haters come to bash it IN EVERY FUCKING TOPIC that it is mentioned in.

I love how the same tired arguments are used over and over again and basically break down into "I didn't kill him, the gun did".

I wouldn't be like this if posts like the one below didn't happen all the fucking time.

It's because all this bullshit is not true that I make arguments for the game, so that people don't miss out on one of the best games ever made because a handful of looser teenagers couldn't control themselves.

Well that post went too far, but honestly, if all of this is not true, why so defensive?

I've been called gay before, I just laughed at the person.

If you really weren't a crack addict, you wouldn't be so defensive. People so defensive over something usually have something to hide, or are ashamed.

wow lol, angry much? :p I havent played wow in about 3 months now. The game got boring but I enjoyed the 1 1/2 years I did play it. wow is a perfectly fun game and if you can't control your self on how much you play it then thats their problem. But plenty of people CAN handle this game and find it a very enjoyable expiernce.

Once again, if you people have no problem, why must you come in to say the same thing over and over:

'Not everyone has a problem man, but some do. But it's not me man, get off my tail! Stop bitching at me!'

Seriously, over defensiveness is a sign.

lol, I understand what your saying, I was more trying to make an argument to help the OP decide to get this game(since that is what this thread is about). Theres nights where I stayed up way to late playing WOW or ran home just to play it, it is an addictive game im not arguing you on that. Im just trying to get the point accross that most people are able to handle it.

lol :p Point is this game is fun, if you got past expierences with substance abuse problems, please consult your doctor before trying wow :D

You should at least try it for the 10 free days. It can be a fun and worthy experience, and not that much is demanded from you, as some might say. There's no need to be seated all day long to enjoy playing, just try it on your own terms.

Hi, my name is Mike and my problem is addiction. Whether is games, drugs, computers or whatever else is in my head, I can't get my mind off of them. Do they make me happy? Maybe for the short time being in "that moment" but if anything it just makes me more sad and more depressed overall. I can't get any motivation or will-power to do anything else besides what im addicted to. I wish I could change how I am, but I havent come across anything to help me overcome my problem.

If your like me, MMO type games can be horrible for yourself and only make your problems and life worse. I've eventually developed social anxiety and set myself apart from society and become a solo loner in life.

It really hurts to read comments that degrade people like me as a "Teenage Looser".
Im 22 years old and have done things I regret in the past that screwed me up today. If I could go back and change it all, id do it without a doubt. But since I cant, I just have to deal with who I am and the problems that I have, and accept ignorant comments from stuck up close-minded individuals.

I have a different problem, My GF is addicted to Wow and wants me to become an addict too. I played the trial but then they asked for money and theat kinda broke my addiction. Since I have alot of hobbies, I'm not sure this is the game for me. Especialy with someone wanting you to play all the time. As it is when she comes over the first thing she does is turn on my PC and log in...

I'm thinking to buy C&C3 instead.

or maybe boot up BF2 since I bougth all the expansions and never played any of them due to my crappy old job...

Once again, if you people have no problem, why must you come in to say the same thing over and over:

'Not everyone has a problem man, but some do. But it's not me man, get off my tail! Stop bitching at me!'

Seriously, over defensiveness is a sign.

Over-defensiveness is typical in the most of ANY popular of game out there, WoW included. I think people tend to defend games like these in such a way because they strongly believe that it's a game that shouldn't be bashed so easily. I mean, if you've played the game thoroughly, and understand it as well as the addict next to you and still thought it was trash, I would put value in your arguments. Other than that, both sides would just be talking past each other.

One of my friends absolutely refuses to play WoW at any cost, even when the rest of us are having a good time on there. No hardcore addictive gameplay going on, we just made a guild with just us in it to hang out. He gives me no real reasons, but from what I can gather, it may be either because of its sheer popularity, or the BS the mass media feeds the masses. I believe there are just as many people that over-defend WoW as there are who over-attack it. Well not just as many, but quite a few from both sides.

WoW Is currently, in my humble opinion, cream of the traditional fantasy MMORPG crop. Contrary to what you might hear, it is the most casual friendly of any MMORPG. You can solo from 0-70 if you want, without even grinding (by grinding I mean killing enemies for the sake of XP. There is ALWAYS a quest to be done somewhere, so you never feel like you're just killing boars for the hell of it).

RP and PVP servers have different rulesets for those who enjoy them, so if you are interested in either of those, give them a try. However, I highly suggest you start on a "normal" server your first time instead of PVP, as it will be much harder to level and understand the game when having to worry about players killing you without "flagging" your consent. RP servers are a great place if you enjoy roleplaying, but if you don't please choose another as you may not find the community to your liking, and they will feel you are breaking immersion.

There's always something different to do in WoW. You can learn up to two primary professions, such as Alchemy, Blacksmithing, Leatherworking, Tailoring, Enchanting (the aformentioned Production professions) Herbalism, Skinning, Mining (Gathering professions). You can also learn all three secondary professions of Cooking, First aid, and Fishing if you choose. Go on quests in an outdoor zone, join a 5 man group and head to a dungeon, PVP in battlegrounds (on any server), all sorts of things.

If you have an addictive personality, I would say avoid it and any other MMOs, as they are designed to always have something to do in the game world and that you are never quite finished. Aside from that, you can have a fine time just playing at your own pace. Start playing with a friend and/or join a guild. Being in a guild means you typically have friends to group with you and help you out. You can make progress playing solo just an hour or two, which is something that cannot be said for almost any other MMO on the market right now.

So give it a try. Hell, I met my lovely girlfriend on WoW. That by itself has to speak to the community this game can draw. Yes fellows, there are girls on the internet. And many of them play WoW! :D

It really hurts to read comments that degrade people like me as a "Teenage Looser". Im 22 years old and have done things I regret in the past that screwed me up today. If I could go back and change it all, id do it without a doubt. But since I cant, I just have to deal with who I am and the problems that I have, and accept ignorant comments from stuck up close-minded individuals.

You don't blame your problems on a video game, hence I wasn't talking about you

Back