Should I throw my money on Galaxy S3 or wait for next generation iPhone or Lumia

maverick786us

2[H]4U
With my Nokia N900 ageing and lack of support for latest applications, I am looking for an immediate super smartphone. Although N900 is like a mini laptop so I will keep it.

I have 2 galaxy S2s in my house so there was a big big hype for galaxy s3. Specs and functionality Galaxy S3 promising. It has big screen as I always wanted. All the latest softwares that it supports

Example: Gusture detection, S-Voice, Zero Shutter lag in camera and ,many more automatic functions make GS-3 the king.

However there are 2 things that came with a big disappointment
1) Again CHEAP plastic instaed of Ceramic
2) The diesign isn't that great
3) Lack of Super Amoled + (although for me this isn't a big issue).

So taking these 3 things into condiseration. Should I buy a Galaxy S3 or should I wait for Next Generation iPhone or Next generation Lumia having PuraView technology and Windows 8 Apollo?

The best phone right now is the HTC One X. Samsung Galaxy SIII has only matched it if anything.

Better build quality
Better HD screen
Better processor if you get the XL
Less bloat and gimmick apps like s voice, use vlingo instead
And way better camera with a dedicated image processor

I am leaving my 4 month old HTC Titan for the One X. WP7's marketplace is severely lacking. A few off the top of my head are Pandora, Words with Friends and Draw Something. MS also limited the res of the 4.7" screen to 800x480 and a single core processor. The interface is kind of neat, but it also wastes a lot of space on a 4.7" screen. If I had the patience to wait for the S3 I'd probably still go for the One X. If I needed more than 16GB storage the G3 would be a clear winner.

One X is the best Android phone out there right now, S3 is not as good imho.

I use Lumia myself because it is the best WP7 phone and I prefer it over iOS and Android.

Well, you will have to propably wait few for next Lumia - WP8 release is fall, propably in late September. They might bring phones before October, as it's usuall date of iPhone release. On the other hand some gossip suggest that next iP will be launched in June.

Generally it's same as with computer hardware. New models are released every year, so it will always be "But if I wait another 4 months, I'll get something better".

Though, I'd wait for windows phone 8 handsets. You won't loose much - if WP8 rocks, you will get great phone and great OS, if it's a dud, you will get SG3 without novelty price :)

Well, you will have to propably wait few for next Lumia - WP8 release is fall, propably in late September. They might bring phones before October, as it's usuall date of iPhone release. On the other hand some gossip suggest that next iP will be launched in June.

Generally it's same as with computer hardware. New models are released every year, so it will always be "But if I wait another 4 months, I'll get something better".

Though, I'd wait for windows phone 8 handsets. You won't loose much - if WP8 rocks, you will get great phone and great OS, if it's a dud, you will get SG3 without novelty price :)

One more month wait and will see what Next Generation Lumia with WP8 and iPhone brings. For SGS3 Samsung created such great hype even years before. In that contrast Lumia and iPhone there is no announcement or rumor. I am frustrated with this long wait game

I am leaving my 4 month old HTC Titan for the One X. WP7's marketplace is severely lacking. A few off the top of my head are Pandora, Words with Friends and Draw Something. MS also limited the res of the 4.7" screen to 800x480 and a single core processor. The interface is kind of neat, but it also wastes a lot of space on a 4.7" screen. If I had the patience to wait for the S3 I'd probably still go for the One X. If I needed more than 16GB storage the G3 would be a clear winner.

There are multiple apps that support pandora.

The best phone right now is the HTC One X. Samsung Galaxy SIII has only matched it if anything.

Better build quality
Better HD screen

Have to disagree with you here. Many people actually find those apps useful so it'd be a pro for them. Not sure how the cpu is better since reports are the us gs3 will use s4's as well. I'd assume polycarbonate plastic would be better from a fall better as it flexes to absorb the impact. Also the XL doesn't have a sd card slot and removable battery which I know are important to some. Not taking any sides, just stating that it's not as clear cut as you made it sound.

Its amazing how the entire web is complaining about the 'cheap' plastic, yet plastic is lighter, more durable, and keeps your phone safer. People think plastic == not built well, and that glass/metal means a better phone, which is total nonsense.

Sense has *zero* new features. You could maybe call Beats Audio a 'feature' if you knew nothing about audio. The new TouchWiz has tons of features, some of them may end being gimmicks but some look very useful. TW historically has also been a lighter skin than Sense. At least they made an effort to improve the user experience.

GS3 also made the sensible decision to keep the menu button. You can always open recent apps with a long press on home. I don't need a huge bar with a single menu button taking up my screen space in thousands of legacy apps.

Galaxy phones come with unlocked bootloaders and great dev support. Good luck trying to get root on your HTC phone, which are now locked down very tight. No S-OFF yet. Custom roms/kernels are very imp to me.

The screen may be Pentile, but its better and brighter than the one in the Nexus and it's not a factor. AMOLED does have its pros - better blacks and deeper colors.

For me the GS3 is a much better phone in all areas. And I love my Evo 4G, but I'm skipping the Ev 4G LTE/OneX.

It's not a "cheap plastic."

It's "Polycarbonate with a Hyperglaze coating". See? Even Samsung is jumping on the marketing bandwagon.

It's not a "cheap plastic."

It's "Polycarbonate with a Hyperglaze coating". See? Even Samsung is jumping on the marketing bandwagon.

To me that glossy plastic looks good in white color. But it is mostly user reviews in which they have used the term cheap glossy plastic finish giving it a look of cramped metal in case of blue color

I'm fine with plastic tbh as it's proven to be very durable to drops/impacts than many other materials so far. People forget to mention that the One X also uses plastic like the S3 but the S3 doesn't have issues with the "micro-arc oxided" coating chipping :p. The One X also has reported issues about the LCD discoloration when pressing on the screen. So much for "better build quality".

http://androidandme.com/2012/04/sma...periencing-design-problems-with-new-handsets/

A lot depends on the quality of plastic also. If you compared Galaxy S2 with Nokia N9. Both are plastic (polycarbonate is a form of plastic only). But the plastic used in Galaxy S2 looks way cheap compared to Nokia N9. I myself have 2 Galaxy S2s in my family. The original black one indeed looks cheap from the back side. The white on looks bit better because of glossy finish. Therefore I never consider plastic bad. But it depends on quality of plastic.

From what i read the battery on the htc sucks bad,s3 is much better. I think people who use the word cheap plastic care more about the way the phone looks,rather than durability,everyone wants a shiny glass iphone ...and everybody is comparing the "cheap" plastic to the glass iphone.

^^No... It is about how it feels. Galaxy S1 for example is just pathetic build quality wise compared to Lumia 800 for example and I can assure you that Lumia is more durable too. S3 build quality looks similar to S1.

Better build quality
Better HD screen

Don't forget, no SD card slot, smaller, non-removable battery, and restrictive bootloader unlocks with no S-OFF

^^No... It is about how it feels. Galaxy S1 for example is just pathetic build quality wise compared to Lumia 800 for example and I can assure you that Lumia is more durable too. S3 build quality looks similar to S1.

If you can "assure" us, I'm sure you've got great links to numerous examples of Galaxy S phones falling apart or otherwise physically failing? After all, "pathetic" build quality on the top selling android phone of all time should easily generate mountains of complaints and evidence.

As if the S3 will be unlocked when it hit stateside... The international Ones are unlocked. Just not the one on AT&T.

The biggest reason why HTC One XL is better is ImageSense. Second, the true HD 720p screen.

All the software that Samsung is bundling up with has free alternatives on the Play Store. Total gimmicks.

Removable battery. That's true, but I don't need to remove my battery.

microsd, good thing I'm on Sprint! The Evo LTE has a microsd. And a dedicated camera button on top of the superior ImageSense with dedicated image processor! Way more useful than being able to remove batteries in case you crash the phone for custom roms.

Samsung hasn't locked a single galaxy phone in the US, or anywhere, and even the international one X isn't s-off (unless I'm mistaken)

Samsung's software, I don't care for, and I do actually prefer Sense to Touchwiz by a mile, but the lack of SD on the GSM variants anyway, is a dealbreaker for me and many other people...

You're correct though, the Evo LTE on sprint looks fantastic, and it grinds my gears that they didn't throw in the SD slot for the GSM variants...

I really don't know what it is lately.... the CDMA guys have been getting the better superphones. First the 32GB Nexus is CDMA only, now the microSD One X is CDMA only....

grrr....

One thing for sure, I wish that the Evo LTE is a world phone with GSM hspa+ and CDMA. In fact, I think Sprint would get more customers if they asked that every Evo be international. And not just the Evo Design...

words by post > words with friends

Wait a couple more months and see what is announced/released over the summer.

I'd wait for the specs/news on the new iPhone. Sony is supposed to be releasing their new line of phones in the US soon. I know the Sony Xperia ION is supposed to hit AT&T this summer.

Wait a couple more months and see what is announced/released over the summer.

I'd wait for the specs/news on the new iPhone. Sony is supposed to be releasing their new line of phones in the US soon. I know the Sony Xperia ION is supposed to hit AT&T this summer.
we pretty much already known what's in the new iphone.

A 4.3" screen from Sharp, A5x quad-core clocked at 800MHz from Samsung, separate LTE/VoLTE chip from Qualcomm, under 1 GB of ram, 16GB/32GB/64GB of internal memory, and a slick new thinner more reliable form factor although meaningless compared how horrible that double glass design of the iPhone 4 cause just about everything breaks less than that.

Basically... Already outdated by HTC One X and Samsung Galaxy SIII.

The only advantage the OneX has over the SGSIII in the camera department is in low light, the faster lens (f/2.0 vs f/2.4(?)) makes a pretty big difference. In good light the SGSIII seems better. Don't forget the SGSII had a great camera, so even a small bump keeps it in the front of the pack. The One series had to have a huge jump, their cameras have sucked for a long time.

Take a look at this article http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iii_vs_htc_one_x-review-759.php

Last edited:
The only advantage the OneX has over the SGSIII in the camera department is in low light, the faster lens (f/2.0 vs f/2.4(?)) makes a pretty big difference. In good light the SGSIII seems better. Don't forget the SGSII had a great camera, so even a small bump keeps it in the front of the pack. The One series had to have a huge jump, their cameras have sucked for a long time.
not to mention dedicated image processor... Image comparison so far shows a huge difference. But the SIII images came from a pre-release device. So Samsung could improve (maybe).

Couple of days back I came across this artical. Although Windows Phone is still eveoving but any user who reads it will be terrified. Now will microsoft fix all these 101 issues with Apollo?

Couple of days back I came across this artical. Although Windows Phone is still eveoving but any user who reads it will be terrified. Now will microsoft fix all these 101 issues with Apollo?

that list is a load of garbage many of the items listed arnt even true

its a complete lie for many of the items and a exageration or twisting of words for many others.

Any other windows phone user who has had one for awhile would tell you the same thing

that list is a load of garbage many of the items listed arnt even true

its a complete lie for many of the items and a exageration or twisting of words for many others.

Any other windows phone user who has had one for awhile would tell you the same thing

Agree. I myself went to a nokia showroom and had a look at meganta Lumia 800. In that the music player does have the option of closing (as opposed to what that artical mentions about just the pause part)

I am a huge Android nerd, had all three of the Nexus phones, the Galaxy S2 and EVO 4G. And to be honest, the new Galaxy S3 does nothing for me. I am not excited one bit for the S3.

Not sure why, but it doesn't seem to bring anything radically new to the table that hasn't be done already. The Galaxy Nexus was awesome because it was the first with Android 4.0 ICS, and the first 720p Pentile display. The HTC One X is cool, for being first with Quad Cores, and bringing the LCD-2 tech, and unique and cool design. TouchWizz just blows too, I love pure stock vanilla Android UI, if I wanted a non stock phone, I think HTC's Sense does a good job, and way better than TouchWizz. And the shell/design of the Galaxy S3 just looks plain and boring. And the screen is old tech from last year's Nexus.

At this point you are way better just waiting a few months for the MAJOR releases of the year; Nexus-Four...iPhone5...Windows-8

Don't forget, no SD card slot, smaller, non-removable battery, and restrictive bootloader unlocks with no S-OFF

If you can "assure" us, I'm sure you've got great links to numerous examples of Galaxy S phones falling apart or otherwise physically failing? After all, "pathetic" build quality on the top selling android phone of all time should easily generate mountains of complaints and evidence.

I have GS. It was my first phone to get harware failure and I never even dropped this thing. Back of the phone is cheap too.

I like the One X more, HTC build quality and software seems more reliable from my experience.

Back