hey dude
try H2O cooling
i m sure u can achieve higher then what u having now
no point changing it since its not the root of the problem
i got mine 3.0c @ 3.9ghz on H20
u will never achieve this on air
i had tried coolermaster hyper6 before
the best it can achieve is 3.8ghz

amd and intel dont except chips back cause they dont overclock well. i wont even say it cause its been said already.
overclocking is not a right but a bonus on a cpu you buy.

pathetic

Well, obviously you can take advantage of a store's no-questions-asked return policy. But I think what most people are saying is that you really aren't going to get anything out of doing that. You have a hella good cpu that will oc more than most. Spend your time/money optimizing other things and perhaps jumping on the vid card bandwagon that will give you a better return.

think of all the people who have it worse than you and bought 2.4c's hoping for super overclockers and some couldnt break 3.0, even some m0's (30 cap). work with what you got.

I agree ehzn,thanks for the opinion with no sarcasm,which this thread is most of!I am going to go water cooling on the 3.2 I just picked up.Hopefully I can get 3.8 out of it.And for the people that say 3 is enough and 3.6 is more then enough,of course it is,but this is a hobby and most oc's do it for fun and ego,I am no different!

Frank, heres the problem and the reason many folks are upset i believe.

By overclocking AT ALL you void your warranty and cannot legally return your chip to the manufacturer. Many folks do anyway. This action is wrong, even if you kill the chip. You have NO warranty as soon as the chip is OCed even if only for a moment. This is one of the risks of the hobby. The chip manufacturers use this as justification for higher prices.

By returning it to a store with a "no questions" return policy that doesnt apply to you. BUT Im afraid you have a misunderstanding of Fry's Policy. Tell them you overclocked it and see if they'll return it. They wont accept it if they know the stores official policy. Odds are they dont and you wont have any problems but if they do you will not get your return. Returns are (or at least were when i was there) a HUGE issue at frys.

Ex Frys Electronic's manager
Phoenix AZ
Cletus

Frank Castle said:
I agree ehzn,thanks for the opinion with no sarcasm,which this thread is most of!I am going to go water cooling on the 3.2 I just picked up.Hopefully I can get 3.8 out of it.And for the people that say 3 is enough and 3.6 is more then enough,of course it is,but this is a hobby and most oc's do it for fun and ego,I am no different!

Fair enough, I agree. Good luck with the watercooling.

Usually I oc for bragging rights, but right now I am oc'ing just to keep my rig up to speed for the next 6 months before I replace it.

I O/C because that's what the voices told me to. I always do what they ask. They know best. SHHHH!! I'm trying to post!

My 3.0c is as high as it can go with Air I can go up to 1.75 and 4.1 but it gets hot fast I am happy with my 750mhz OC My old PC was 733mhz p3. This moves faster than I will probably need for a while.

Great,I just hope with this 3.2c I am getting and hydrocool water cooling setup I can at least get 3.8!It is a we and a 30 capper as well as mo d1

cletus said:
By overclocking AT ALL you void your warranty and cannot legally return your chip to the manufacturer.
And how, short of an admission, exactly does a vendor prove that someone overclocked a CPU?

cletus said:
By returning it to a store with a "no questions" return policy that doesnt apply to you. BUT Im afraid you have a misunderstanding of Fry's Policy. Tell them you overclocked it and see if they'll return it. They wont accept it if they know the stores official policy.

Cletus,

Policy, schmolicy. What does it say on the back of the Fry's receipt? It doesn't say anything about overclocking, so by law they have to take it back. They might bristle about it, but if they don't want to be open to a breach action in small claims court, they'd have to take it back.

Yes, I am sure Fry's has issues with returns. But that's (one reason) why Fry's charges a little extra than other stores, and it's a huge, huge selling point.

Frank Castle said:
Runemage,I live in vegas also,we should hookup if you want to...........

If that's not an invitation for a date then I don't know what is.... ;)

Why would you take it back? It works at stock, right? That's all they guarantee. You'd be lying if you RMA it.

lopoetve said:
Why would you take it back? It works at stock, right? That's all they guarantee. You'd be lying if you RMA it.

who cares?
I know Im gonna RMA my AXP mobile because it only doesn 2.6ghz and not 2.7 like some others.... :rolleyes:

*for those who cant tell...im being a smart ass

Visable-assassin said:
who cares?
I know Im gonna RMA my AXP mobile because it only doesn 2.6ghz and not 2.7 like some others.... :rolleyes:

And what are you going to use as the reason for the RMA? It works perfectly fine, as described, so you would be lying if you said differently.

Lying doesn't bother you?

Visable-assassin said:
who cares?

please dont ever buy computer parts from any place i shop. you are the reason that companies offer less and less services to consumers and why a lot of tech companies do not like overclokers/enthusiests.

lopoetve said:
And what are you going to use as the reason for the RMA? It works perfectly fine, as described, so you would be lying if you said differently.

Lying doesn't bother you?

kronchev said:
please dont ever buy computer parts from any place i shop. you are the reason that companies offer less and less services to consumers and why a lot of tech companies do not like overclokers/enthusiests.

I think you both missed the whole rolling eyes being sarcastic part.
Besides if you read my previous posts youd see Im fully against RMAing shit for no reason...come on I have higher standards than that you two !

Visable-assassin said:
I think you both missed the whole rolling eyes being sarcastic part.
Besides if you read my previous posts youd see Im fully against RMAing shit for no reason...come on I have higher standards than that you two !

BAH! This reading thing... it is highly overrated!

:p

Sorry...

lopoetve said:
BAH! This reading thing... it is highly overrated!

:p

Sorry...

no need to appologize man....I take the RMA shit very seriously...Ive NEVER rmaed a damn thing I broke....and yes I can prove it :)

Visable-assassin said:
no need to appologize man....I take the RMA shit very seriously...Ive NEVER rmaed a damn thing I broke....and yes I can prove it :)

Same... even video cards I overclock.

If it breaks, it's just the part giving you the ok on an upgrade!

lopoetve said:
Same... even video cards I overclock.

If it breaks, it's just the part giving you the ok on an upgrade!

Exactly ... I have parts here that were used once, I never RMAd them because I feel it's my fault for not researching it properly ... my mistake ... ex: Zalman VGA heatpipe cooler clone (Blue one). Never worked properly ... my bad for not buying the real thing ... :p

No questions asked returns are very good when buying something that does not worked as advertised in your application: ex: 9600Pro CH3 won't work with Albatron KX800 ProII ... tried two and will not boot if installed, although they work on other motherboards, and the mobo will run with other brand of 9600 PRO. NewEgg accepted my return and did not even charged me with a fee for returning a non-defective product ...

Well people,I recieved the corsair hydrocool water cooling unit and hooked it up to my 3.2c,it runs at 1.65 at 3.75 and is idle at 29.5c and at 36c full load.

Thanks,I am going to get a good power supply,right now I have a linkworld 430 watter,I heard I need a good stable line power supply for good overclock.......true?

A good, stable power supply will help your oc some by providing a dependable and correctly volted supply to the cpu, RAM, mobo, etc. and increase stability. When it comes to power, it never hurts to overdo it and have a better psu than you need. Especially with newer and more power hungry stuff like vid cards and cpu's.

But don't expect a miracle. ;)

Yeah,it did not do alot,but it did stop the occasional reboots and now my chip is stable at 3.73,I need the antec 550 I just got for the 4 drive raptor raid I will be getting next week anyways!

Back