Should I take back this 3.0c????

Frank Castle

Weaksauce
I have a 3.0c that does 3.615 at 1.550 volts on a abit is7{which undervolts anywhere from 1.488 to 1.520}.I am using a spark 7 fan and heatsink.The processor will not do anymore with any kind of voltage and refuses to post at 1.70 or higher!It is completely stable for what I need it for at 3.615,should I take it back and try another,it is a 30 capper by the way?

Temps are at 44 idle and 56 full load,but on this board I hear they are exaggerated about 10c...

Thanks

no dont take it back...

if you download the latest bios release for the is7 it corrects the temps a little bit.

Frank Castle said:
I have a 3.0c that does 3.615 at 1.550 volts on a abit is7{which undervolts anywhere from 1.488 to 1.520}.I am using a spark 7 fan and heatsink.The processor will not do anymore with any kind of voltage and refuses to post at 1.70 or higher!It is completely stable for what I need it for at 3.615,should I take it back and try another,it is a 30 capper by the way?

Temps are at 44 idle and 56 full load,but on this board I hear they are exaggerated about 10c...

Thanks

Maybe I don't understand your post ... but what is the problem? :confused:
Why do you want to return it?

primea said:
Maybe I don't understand your post ... but what is the problem? :confused:
Why do you want to return it?

he wants to return his cpu because it doesnt overclock as far as he wants it to... :rolleyes:

acascianelli said:
he wants to return his cpu because it doesnt overclock as far as he wants it to... :rolleyes:

Oh .... OK ... everything in his post points to a good CPU, so I was confused ... forgive me, I'm an immigrant and English is not my native language ... :rolleyes:

i wasnt rolling my eyes at you primea, i was at the idea of returning a perfectly good working cpu.

acascianelli said:
i wasnt rolling my eyes at you primea, i was at the idea of returning a perfectly good working cpu.

Oh ... OK ... :D

I can't really believe how somebody will be disappointed with a 600MHZ increase from they paid for ...

acascianelli said:

yeh thats really lame. lets all hope he wises up and doesnt do that.

I'm really happy with my 3.0C. I don't overclock this one yet, but who really wants to when its coupled with a IC7-G Max3, and 2 512 sticks of Corsair XMS LL. It screams, and its fast enough for pretty much every game out there :D

BTW, thats some great temps for the overclock. 600mhz is a really good amount. Thats 20% more speed you're getting for free :)

well the fact that he specifically mentioned it was a 30cap shows that he thought that cpu was going to be a big overclocker.

Frank Castle said:

Thanks

do us a favor, dont buy anymore hardware please
:rolleyes:

No reason to be sarcastic people,I never said it was not a good cpu,its just I wanted opinions as to wether I should return it because mabe the 30 cappers do alot more,thats all..........sheesh

TRY gettin a mobile 2400 that barely does 3200 speeds(2.2 ghz) at 1.8 v....thats a real heartbreaker for me but im still gonna keep it

I would say that since you probably got that 3.0C for a good price, and at your highest stable oc on air it about matches the best intel has to offer with pretty good temps, that you should count your blessings and spend your time putting it to good use.

You paid for a working 3.0GHz P4. Did you not get a working 3.0GHz P4? If you want to get a new chip in hoping that it will overclock better, sell this one in the For Sale section.

I was absolutely downright PISSED OFF that my 2.8c didn't o/c a full 1Ghz. Instead, I had to settle for the measly 980Mhz o/c I got on the lousy thing. After much deliberation, I finally convinced myself to keep it though...

.....you got 600Mhz for free...you should be happy with it. I know quite a few people that their 3.0c's didn't even do 3.5Ghz stable. So your Bus speed isn't 1Ghz, it's 960 instead...it's not that big of a deal. Unless you're running benchmarks, you're probably not going to notice the difference between 3.6Ghz and 3.9Ghz on everyday apps.

keep the cpu, and focus on tweaking the rest of the system.

nst6563 said:
I was absolutely downright PISSED OFF that my 2.8c didn't o/c a full 1Ghz. Instead, I had to settle for the measly 980Mhz o/c I got on the lousy thing. After much deliberation, I finally convinced myself to keep it though...
I really hope you are kidding... :rolleyes:

OrionNT said:
I really hope you are kidding... :rolleyes:

yeah...I was. The computer I was posting from didn't allow the smilies for whatever reason.
:) I can type the codes in manually, but forgot the one for :p at that point.

i've done as high as 3.8 on my 3.0c but i settled at 3.7 because i want it to last longer than a year

Frank Castle said:
No reason to be sarcastic people,I never said it was not a good cpu,its just I wanted opinions as to wether I should return it because mabe the 30 cappers do alot more,thats all..........sheesh

You bought a CPU that works full and well KEEP it or BUY ANOTHER ONE dont go returning it because it doesnt go as high as YOU want it to...it never will...its people like you that cause the end user to pay out the ass for shit...and causes a hard time to get an RMA.

Ive said it once and was quoted on it....if you return that chip
You sir should be castrated with a wooden spoon.

:mad: :mad:

return it,with a top 3 heatsink it should beable to hit 4ghz+ highest ive seen on air 4.5ghz stable,30cap that is

Ballz2TheWallz said:
return it,with a top 3 heatsink it should beable to hit 4ghz+ highest ive seen on air 4.5ghz stable,30cap that is

yeah lets not do that :rolleyes: ...buy another damn chip and sell your old one.

Visable-assassin said:
yeah lets not do that :rolleyes: ...buy another damn chip and sell your old one.

I agree. And to get a 3.0c to go 4Ghz is not a common thing. I've seen it happen plenty of times, but almost NONE of those instances were using air cooling. It was either chilled water or VPC cooling. Not every 3.0c will oc to 4Ghz. Hell, most of them are lucky to do 3.5 stable. Simple fact is, if you want to take the chance on another 3.0c then buy one and sell yours. I'm sure there are plenty of people around that would love a 3.0c that will do 3.6 at below 1.6v. Otherwise, get a 2.8c or 2.4c to o/c. They seem to have better results but again it's all still luck.

I wonder if he buys a 6-pack of beer and then returns it when he finds out it doesn't have 8 bottles of beer in it... :)

Damn,some of these guys in here are just brutal,they dont let you breath!I ALREADY explained what I meant,I just wanted opinions not insulting comments,its like a chain reaction in here..........

I am getting the hydrocool water cooler and will see what my 3.2 or 3.0 will do.

Ballz2TheWallz said:
MOST 3.0c P4s will NOT do 4ghz STABLE on AIR, 4.5ghz is just straight unheard of on air. Returning a cpu just because it doesnt OC as fast as you want is just wrong. Suck it up and sell it to a friend and try again. It is a gamble, therefore you cant win them all.

I dont think returning something to a store within the time period of THEIR return policy is wrong at all!If they say return within 15 days for any reason whatsoever then it is my right as a customer to do so!I guess you can nitpick this apart if wanted to,but the answer is still the same.

Frank Castle said:
I dont think returning something to a store within the time period of THEIR return policy is wrong at all!If they say return within 15 days for any reason whatsoever then it is my right as a customer to do so!I guess you can nitpick this apart if wanted to,but the answer is still the same.
Where do they say return for "whatsoever"?

Fry's return policy is you have 15 days on cpu's and hardrives to be returned for full refund for any reason.Most places are like that.People change there mind you know or have money problems that changes there life style for reasons and what not.

Frank Castle said:
Fry's return policy is you have 15 days on cpu's and hardrives to be returned for full refund for any reason.Most places are like that.People change there mind you know or have money problems that changes there life style for reasons and what not.
I have been hearing way too much about Frys lately. They need to expand to the Midwest. :)

Yeah,there awesome.My favorite store,if I could rent out part of it to live I would{dont think my wife would like that though}...lol.Just image a super walmart and a half of electronics!

Well, Fry's does have a great return policy, but that is built into the price, as is their huge retail inventory and staff. Outpost has a retail 3.0C for $219, whereas my local Fry's was like $248. :eek:

So yes, for an extra $30, I think I'd return a processor that I wasn't totally satisfied with. ;)

Oh, and Outpost won't take back retail box processors (have to go through Intel, and who knows what their polcies are).

That is not true about not taking back box processors.
I accidenly got a 2.8C though I would live with it,
It wouldn't overclock any at all. I took it back and got my
2.8C both of which were retail boxed processors.
They gave me no problem at all, but maybe someone
messed up here in Las Vegas where I live, go figure.

Frank Castle said:

remind me never to hand you a firearm.....

nst6563 said:
.....you got 600Mhz for free...you should be happy with it. I know quite a few people that their 3.0c's didn't even do 3.5Ghz stable. So your Bus speed isn't 1Ghz, it's 960 instead...it's not that big of a deal. Unless you're running benchmarks, you're probably not going to notice the difference between 3.6Ghz and 3.9Ghz on everyday apps.

Hell, in 'everyday apps,' (think FireFox, Excel, another instance of Excel, and the standard loadout of proprietary software you might find in any office, Trillian, Winamp...) my P3 1.0 at work is just as effective as this 2300mhz AXP.

Don't you dare RMA that CPU. People like you drive prices up by creating an overstock. You bought a 3.0. It does 3.0ghz. That's what you paid for, and you've got no right to return it at the expense of the retailer, the consumer, and the manufacturer.

I've seen so many of these threads. It's a shame there isn't punishment for such irresponsible behavior.

i know its awesome to OC and i see how far you can go.....but seriouisly.......what can you do at 3.6ghz that you cant do at 3??? i have a athalon xp 3000+ at stock setting and so far its handled EVERYTHING extremely well........i have yet to even use its full potential and thats at 2.1ghz..... just keep the one you have and DO something with it........sure keep it overclocked and try differnet things to make it faster but whats the point of overclocking it if your not even gonna use it......... :rolleyes:

Back