Should I step up to GTX 275?

I am stepping up to the gtx 275 from the 260 216 55nm for $40 total. I dont keep cards any longer than about 3 months tops.

I am stepping up to the gtx 275 from the 260 216 55nm for $40 total. I dont keep cards any longer than about 3 months tops.

How much was the shipping part? Looks like I would only have to pay an extra 10 bucks for the card itself.

A very good article here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-275,2266.html
It says: "If you were looking to step up to the GTX 275 from one of those boards, I’d hold off. " about the GTX 260, but it also assumes a larger price difference. It also shows the 275 beating the 285 in a L4D benchmark! (there was an argument above on this.) Either way, the 275 is close to the 285 and does not warrant the extra $50-$100. All-in-all, the GTX 275 seems like a sweet card, especially for the price.

This is my situation (I figured I'd tag along on this thread rather than start it up in another):

I bought a GTX 260 55nm on 4/6/2008 for $229.99 - $30 rebate. If I step-up, do I get to keep my rebate money? and do I get to collect on the rebate on the new board if it has one?

Original board (260): $229.99
New board (275): $249.99

$20 + S&H seems like a no-brainer to me...

I am thinking of the Step up as well, it will cost me $10 + $8 shipping. Really under $20 is prolly worth it for the added performance. Only thing is I sold my 8800gt spare so I'd be without a video card during the process....not sure if I could handle that although I could jack my son's rig in the meantime. So price is worth it, hassle of no computer.....not sure. lol.

I'm actually wondering about the 275, too, versus my 260 216 SSC (675/1453/1152), as I'd noted here (http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1411407). It's hard to try to figure out from reviews how the two compare to each other in terms of performance, although it would seem the 275 will cost me another 50W and probably run a good 15C or so hotter >.<

Well, I jusy got my new psu in, the TX650. So I am back on the drawing board again for the 275. Has another gotten it and what is your opinion of ti compare to the gtx 260. I only need to pay 28 buck plus shipping cost to get the 275.

I moved up to a 275. Seems like it missed the QC check. Didn't have the usual plastic wrap over the card and had an OC bios on it for whatever reason. Makes the obnoxious squeal of ear doom, and doesn't overclock nearly as well as what others are posting. So...I'm feeling a little underwhelmed at the moment >.<...well, at this specific card. I'll probably just RMA as otherwise it seems like a nice piece of hardware.

Of note, I'm not getting the ridiculously high temps I'm seeing in some benchmarks. It runs only a few degrees hotter than my 260 did.

Got my 275. Stock clocked came in at 11788 Vantage marks and Slightly OC'd it comes in @ 14793 (700/1552/1175).

How high can you push it while keeping it stable?
I'm going to redo the thermal "paste" with some MX-2. Let ya know, i don't think cooling is the issue but it threw a blue screen at me with a 1200 MHz Ram clock and a 725 Core.

725/1620/1296 on my evga gtx 275 here, it can go a notch higher at least, but i like to have it at least a notch below it's max.. quite satisfied with the o/c on it :)

725/1620/1296 on my evga gtx 275 here, it can go a notch higher at least, but i like to have it at least a notch below it's max.. quite satisfied with the o/c on it :)

Is that the stock, Superclocked, or FTW edition? What driverset are you using?

I decided to RMA my card. I'm hoping the next one isn't worse than the first :(. My overclocks weren't the worst, but they were kind of mediocre. It looks like the most I could do stable was 713/1548/1224...although it was unclear to me if it was really stable at that. The squealing was kind of a dealbreaker for me, though. I might have put up with it if I were getting your sort of overclocks...maybe.

Last edited:
I'm looking to build a new rig around a Core 2 Extreme QX6850.. would a 275 be a fitting card or should I move up to a 285? I only want to run 1 card and won't upgrade probably for another 2 years. To give perspective, I'm running a 7800GT still, which got me through Crysis pretty well @ 1280, but I'm looking to play at 1900 x * soon.

Blargh. So I decided to RMA my GTX 275, and ended up with another squealer. In fact, it not only squeals during loading screens, but makes some lower pitched buzzing sound in menus on games like GTA IV. Argh! The second card does overclock well, though. I managed to actually get it to run at 774MHz core, but had to keep the shaders down at 1548 to do it and memory only at 1224. I found 738/1584/1296 seemed to be the fastest combo. This is a lot better than what I managed on the previous card, obviously.

Argh, I don't know what to do at this point. It's even more annoying in its noisiness, but I'm worried if I RMA I'll get yet another squealer PLUS it will overclock like crap.

I got my step up today. I installed it and it is working well. Somehow they send me the FTW edition card since when I check precision it is already bios overclocked. In addition, since they didn't get my trade in card till may, I am eligible for the free game form evga as well.

Back