Keep 3070 FHR or Step up to 3080 LHR

• Keep 3070 FHR

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Step up to 3080 LHR

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

kirbyrj

Fully [H]
I just got my EVGA step up notice that my original purchase of a 3070 XC3 is eligible for a Step up to a 3080 FTW3. Obviously, they don't have any FHR cards, so I'd be getting a LHR. They both should hash about the same give or take. But obviously, the gaming performance should be better. It would cost me $400 to do it.

Should I keep the 3070 or step up to the 3080?

Last edited:
Depends whether you actually use it for gaming and how often given you already have a 3080ti.

Is there still a question hanging over EVGA card quality?

I've seen WTTF posts where folks will trade you up from a lower FHR to higher LHR card, I imagine for much less than the $400 EVGA is asking for. It's a decent step-up for gaming IMO, but a lame deal at that price.
I "traded up" a Radeon 5700 XT to a LHR 3060 Ti and ended up with net +$180 in my pocket. Just sayin'.

From the mining perspective, I'm not losing anything with ETH mining (other than a higher power draw), but I'm gaining significant higher hash rates with other alt-coins. I would think ETH will eventually move to POS within 6 months. This particular card is in my brother's computer who only games at 1080p. I wouldn't be replacing my 3080Ti at this time. Essentially, I buy him a new GPU every year and he mines for me when not gaming to recover the cost.

Depends whether you actually use it for gaming and how often given you already have a 3080ti.

Is there still a question hanging over EVGA card quality?

From what I've seen, that was mostly the 3090s that suffered (or at least showed symptoms) from the solder issue that New World demonstrated. I haven't had any issues with my EVGA 3090 (when I had it), 3080 Tis, 3070Ti, or 3070.

I'd go with the 3080 with the additional information. I don't know if you pay for the power or not.

Ask your brother as well?

You are basically valuing FHR 3070 the same as LHR 3070 (since EVGA doesn't care). Doesn't make sense unless the difference just doesn't mean anything to you.

Hmm well considering the difference in "actual msrp" between the two SKUs in theory should only be $200, I would say no. How long do you have to decide? If 12GB RTX 3080 Supers launch in November (presumably for somewhere between 3080/Ti msrp--$899?), will you still be able to step up then or will it be too late?

Hmm well considering the difference in "actual msrp" between the two SKUs in theory should only be $200, I would say no. How long do you have to decide? If 12GB RTX 3080 Supers launch in November (presumably for somewhere between 3080/Ti msrp--$899?), will you still be able to step up then or will it be too late?

It's long past the time when I can change the step up. I put in for this step up in December 2020. I have until maybe Wed to decide.

In their minds, the 3070 is $559 and the 3080 is $909+tax, etc.

From the mining perspective, I'm not losing anything with ETH mining (other than a higher power draw), but I'm gaining significant higher hash rates with other alt-coins. I would think ETH will eventually move to POS within 6 months. This particular card is in my brother's computer who only games at 1080p. I wouldn't be replacing my 3080Ti at this time. Essentially, I buy him a new GPU every year and he mines for me when not gaming to recover the cost.
Wish you were my brother. My brother would wait till I'm out of the house, remove the card and sell it to support his drug habits. Then make up an excuse like: " Well, you sure you put the card in the machine?"

He pays for the power. The difference is probably about 80W.
If I was the recipient, I'd go for it. If I was the buyer (aka you) I'd probably still go for it. As long as I'm making a profit on my brother's pc, I probably wouldn't care all that much.

Wish you were my brother. My brother would wait till I'm out of the house, remove the card and sell it to support his drug habits. Then make up an excuse like: " Well, you sure you put the card in the machine?"
Better than my little brother. At least yours is still around. Be glad about that. Mine killed himself in 2004. He was involved in an accident and ended up in the hospital for a couple weeks with a brain injury. He was never right after that. He didn't turn into an evil psycho bastard, but something wasn't right with his head after that.

If my bro were still around and being about like he was before he went bye bye I'd upgrade it just to see his next feat of superhuman gaming. He was a really hardcore completionist even before he got hurt. If he were still around I wouldn't put it past him to collect every achievement in Skyrim. He'd play through the whole thing again just to get the last one. OTOH at this point I probably wouldn't have to buy him anything. He was in pharmacy school when he died in 2004. I pretty much took care of his rig when I was working and he was still in school, but if he hadn't gotten messed up he'd have been making 6 figures easy for over a decade by now.

I just got my EVGA step up notice that my original purchase of a 3070 XC3 is eligible for a Step up to a 3080 FTW3. Obviously, they don't have any FHR cards, so I'd be getting a LHR. They both should hash about the same give or take. But obviously, the gaming performance should be better. It would cost me $400 to do it.

Should I keep the 3070 or step up to the 3080?
I was in the same boat sort of. I was in step up queue for the 3080 FTW3 Ultra from an XC3 Ultra FHR. I know it’s just a model difference but it’s the card my kid wanted. eVGA wants $240 or so for the step up.

So I ordered the 3080 Ti FTW3 they sent me a notify for and plan on selling the 3080 XC3 Ultra when it comes in.

Guess it’s not the same boat, but for $400 it’s not worth it unless you need the upgrade for gaming on the rig it’s in or whatever.

Back