Should I sign arbitration agreement with law firm for LG G4 bootloop?

biggles

2[H]4U
Law firm is Girard and Gibbs. They sent an email asking for this. My LG G4 bootlooped around October last year. It was replaced by Verizon, but I did lose some customer data. Estimated the business loss at $500.

Given how lame class action settlements are, would it be wise to contact LG and ask them for a discount on the LG G6? The way I see it that might yield a better deal. Half price on an unlocked LG G6 would be nice.

Girard & Gibbs is the law firm that filed the class action so if they've contacted you by email that means you probably went to their G4 bootloop class action and filled out the info needed to become a part of it. I filed myself recently because of a G4 that I owned (an AT&T variant H810) that I had to send in for a bootloop repair in late 2016 just a few weeks before the warranty technically would have expired and it was returned in about 10 days (weekends don't count to them) but I myself haven't received any such arbitration email so far. They may be doing that to get approval for people that have applied to be participants as a way to get our or your authorization to arbitrate with LG on our/your behalf, I don't know for sure at this point.

I would say contact the law firm itself and ask them to directly clarify what they're asking for in the arbitration agreement before you commit to anything, and if you have any friends that might have some legal experience or be lawyers it wouldn't hurt to ask if they could give that the once over.

I don't want to see LG get totally screwed over this but it wasn't a single instance thing with just one phone, it happened on 4 devices over a 2-3 year period of time (the G3, the G4, the V10, and the G5) and right now we don't really know if the V20 or the G6 could potentially have such problems unfortunately. I could understand one situation with it being a bad production run in particular but this really did become a big hassle with so many devices over such a long period of time so I know LG already understands they're gonna be coughing up some cash or giving people brand new more current devices to appease them.

The law firm of course isn't going to go for replacement/new devices, they're going to want a big cash settlement 'cause they can't stay in business with a bunch of smartphones. :D

But don't contact LG directly, doing so could show a pattern they could use against you later on to flat out dismiss any potential claims that you yourself might have towards being compensated in whatever manner for the loss of data that in your case did apparently have an actual dollar value aka business data. Check with the law firm and get the clarification on what they're doing and expecting at this point in time and if that's not to your liking then give LG a shout out and see what they might offer.

I don't want to see LG get totally screwed over this but it wasn't a single instance thing with just one phone, it happened on 4 devices over a 2-3 year period of time (the G3, the G4, the V10, and the G5)

You missed one: The Nexus 5x, also made by LG, almost identical hardware to the G4 with the same bootloop problem.

True, the Nexus 5x is a device being considered in the class action and I now see they're including the V20 as well which I myself haven't heard or seen any reports of suffering from the same damned issue.

Gotta wonder what the hell was going on in the factory or fab plants when all those devices were being produced that could have such a long lasting effect on so many product lines, it's crazy to think this has gone on for anywhere near as long as it has.

True, the Nexus 5x is a device being considered in the class action and I now see they're including the V20 as well which I myself haven't heard or seen any reports of suffering from the same damned issue.

Gotta wonder what the hell was going on in the factory or fab plants when all those devices were being produced that could have such a long lasting effect on so many product lines, it's crazy to think this has gone on for anywhere near as long as it has.
Take a look at /r/nexus5x on reddit, it's turned into the bootloop whine subreddit.

Ugh... Reddit. :) But damn, I had no idea things had taken such a turn with the Nexus 5x of late, wow.

As an addition, I did get the arbitration form earlier today (wonder what took 'em so long since I signed up for the class action almost within an hour of it even being announced) and I read over it myself, didn't see anything that jumps out at me as a problem (disclaimer: I am not a lawyer or anything even remotely close) so I decided to sign it and send it back. At this point I don't even own a G4 anymore, the last one I did have did develop the bootloop but was under warranty (sent it back in Nov 2016, warranty was good through Dec 2016 so just under the wire) and it was returned in about 12 days and I sold it in February of this year.

I noted all that in the survey request they provided me when I signed onto the lawsuit but they still consider me "worthy" to participate in it. Yes they're going to get a shitload of fees and the obligatory 33% of the final judgment but at this point I'm not really caring about it all that much, if I get a few bucks great but it's not like I'm going to be getting enough to go out and buy a G6. ;)

If you think you can contact LG and they'll work a deal with you on some other device, either free as a replacement or a big discount on something newer then go for it. If not and you really want to keep the G4 then cough up the $100 and get the replacement device and see how it goes. Even if you do decide to pay the $100 for the replacement you're still entitled to join on with the class action lawsuit anyway so, take advantage of it if you want or pass on it and that's pretty much that.

Update: the law firm now says they are adding other device owners to the suit. 5x, V10, G5, G4, and G20 are now eligible.

Unless you plan on bringing LG to court on your own.. Yes.

Hell I had the g4, 2x g5's & v20 & never had an issue at all with any of them. I might as well sign up though & get my 3 dollar check.

Honestly if you haven't suffered from the bootloop on any of the LG devices that you've owned in the past that would disqualify you from the class action, you do realize that, right? :D

If you can't show any physical proof of a bootloop claim (warranty service, repair, whatever) then the law firm will most likely just tell you thanks but you're not eligible to participate. I've got plenty of records now printed out, LG has this stuff on file, I've got info on my LG account for it, the packing slips and RMA numbers from when I sent in the last G4 I owned to have it fixed, etc so I personally do have some ground to stand on.

No sense mucking things up if you never had one die on ya.

You're absolutely right, it says you should contact them and after you provide the info about not having had any issues with a bootlooped device that's covered under the class action nor can you provide any evidence of having a bootlooped device covered by the class action suit (repair paperwork, shipping invoices, RMA numbers, etc) they would more than likely simply tell you that you're not eligible. So, give 'em a call or sign onto the class action and see what happens.

My point is that by your own admission you haven't had a device that's suffered from the issue the class action is all about so even though it would probably only take one of their paralegals a few moments to look over your information and potentially the survey they'd send you (if you get that far) which would basically be a small waste of their time to go through the info and then discover you're not eligible under the terms of the class action itself.

If you've owned a device that suffered from the bootloop and you can offer proof of it as well as the claim to LG to have it repaired, you qualify to be a part of the class action, if you haven't had a device that suffered and you can't provide proof of a claim to LG to have it repaired, you don't. Does that clarify things?

It clarifies that you like to type long walls of text..

Because ya know what.. I didn't suffer an injury from my red bull not giving me wings either..

I didn't sign up for any class action suit or anything, but I did do a chat with Google today about my Day 1 Nexus 5X with the bootloop issue. They approved a free warranty replacement even though it is several months out of warranty.

My wife's LG G4 bootlooped last week. I contacted LG, there were no questions asked about warranty and/or registration on their website (phone was purchased Nov. 2015). They are fixing the phone for free, without making me jump through ridiculous hoops. The phone could not have physical damage or water damaged, and could not have been purchased 2nd hand. That was it.

Back