Should I sidegrade my system and buy 3070?

xellos2099alpha

[H]ard|Gawd
This is my current system

I7-4790k running at 4 ghz
16 gig of ddr 3 ram
MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s
Samsung SSD 850 pro 256gb
Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Gaming Case
Consair 600 psu

I was considering doing a full upgrade but i am think my 4790k can still do 1440p 60 fps if i upgrade to 3070. Thus I am considering doing some kind of sidegrade to made my system more stable. Whenever I turn on my pc , it sometime refuse to boot to window unless i push reset. i was thinking of upgrading ssd to m2 but can my mobo take advantage since it is an older board even through it got m2 slot. Alsao is my mobo capable of using 3070-3080 without being held back by pci-e I used to overlock the cpu and it got unstable so i revert it back to stock. Also I have concern if my current case can fit a 3070.

I am wondering if a small upgrade/tune up of more ram, better ssd, better cpu cooler and oc will last me a a year or 2 more.

Refusing to boot to Windows has nothing to do with age, ya know.
Maybe it's shorting out, or just needs a reinstall.

For updates, it really comes down to your needs. For one, you can always just add a PCIe card that has an M.2 slot. Then you have NVMe capabilities.
For two, do you really NEED this 3070? Right now? If your CPU is midrange or so, at least compared to current CPUs, then why not stabilize your system and then buy a 3060 later? I'm on a 2060 and it's honestly pretty nice. Waiting for a 3060 would be even nicer, and at a nicer price.

I'm certainly planning on upgrading soon, but even I'm still on Gen 1 Intel Core series. You're on Gen 4, so you're already waaaay ahead of me.

The question you have to ask is this: What game or application do you want to run, and at what performance level?
Are you getting the performance you want? If yes, then stick with what you've got. If no, then find the minimum upgrade you need to achieve that score.

Some cheap upgrades you could look into could be upgrading to a used Xeon CPU, and a 3060 or 3070. With that, you'd be that much better off, and it'd be a lot cheaper than a new build.

Furthermore, don't forget that AMD is still on AM4, and will be changing that up soon. They got lucky with AM4, but Zen could have been a failure.
Now that they have funding and trust and a good platform, I bet AM5 will be simply GLORIOUS on a level that AM4 never was.

And to be honest, I do vote with my wallet, and I think Intel is getting pretty rotten on an ethical level. Even if Intel does release something nice, I'd still look at AMD first. Here's my plan:

AMD AM5 Gen 2 Chipset. I want to wait just a bit until they release their "Zen 3+" CPUs, and then buy. That'll give me one heckin' good system I bet.
But it's really up to you. Focus on stability and getting the performance you need in the applications you actually run. No need to impress anyone but yourself, right?

I am wondering if a small upgrade/tune up of more ram, better ssd, better cpu cooler and oc will last me a a year or 2 more.

System that old, you shouldn't do any upgrades that can't be moved to a new system later. So CPU and RAM are right out (16 GB is fine for gaming anyways).

I wouldn't worry about the PCIe version. Your mainboard's PCIe 3.0 may possibly hold back things slightly if you try to push a high resolution display at high detail, but I think you'd hit your CPU's limits before that.

We'll know better once OEM/non-reference cards start appearing, but it doesn't look like the RTX 3070 will be any bigger than prior comparable cards.

You don't indicate what GPU you'd be upgrading from.

For one, you can always just add a PCIe card that has an M.2 slot. Then you have NVMe capabilities.

Despite it's inclusion of a PCIe-capable m.2 slot, I don't believe this board supports NVMe natively. Like most systems of its era, it is probably PCIe-AHCI only. A NVMe SSD could be used for secondary storage, but would not be bootable.

Some cheap upgrades you could look into could be upgrading to a used Xeon CPU

There were no mainstream desktop CPUs faster or with more cores from the generation of OP's system (Haswell) than what they already have. Regardless, there's a good chance a Xeon E3 would not work in that mainboard anyways.

System that old, you shouldn't do any upgrades that can't be moved to a new system later. So CPU and RAM are right out (16 GB is fine for gaming anyways).

This is very true. Until you're ready for a full system upgrade, it's best to focus on smaller upgrades.

Despite it's inclusion of a PCIe-capable m.2 slot, I don't believe this board supports NVMe natively. Like most systems of its era, it is probably PCIe-AHCI only. A NVMe SSD could be used for secondary storage, but would not be bootable.

This is also true most likely, but even so, for older system like mine and his, it's true enough to say "once the system is booted, it doesn't matter how long it takes to boot." It's a sad thing to say, but it's true. Having an NVMe games drive is still valid though, and you can always repurpose it into your main drive later.

If you're like me, you've probably accumulated quite a few drives over the years. One more that's a tad more advanced than our systems can handle isn't so bad. Plus you can always use a boot manager like Plop to manually boot into NVMe. Maybe.

There were no mainstream desktop CPUs faster or with more cores from the generation of OP's system (Haswell) than what they already have. Regardless, there's a good chance a Xeon E3 would not work in that mainboard anyways.

If this is true, them it's time OP begins planning his Big full system update path. I certainly am. If you think Zen 2 is good, I can't wait to see what AMD does with its new prestige. I dearly hope they continue to have good prices for the sake of a glorious Zen 3 release. If they can just keep far away from greedy temptations and focus on good engineering at good prices, they might just be my chosen system in two years.

A full system upgrade should last at least five years, right? So save money until you're got enough for a truly glorious system build.
Until then, BlueLine is saying some smart stuff.

I am currently on 1070. My current desire is to run games on 1440p, 60 fps in high/ultra settling. I am conisdering smaller/cheaper upgrade but i am not sure what toi upgrade. Yes, I know 4790k is one of the highest processor my board can use beside some odd one like 5000k serie.

Check the settings in windows and the bios both allow you to customize the behavior of the power and reset buttons.

And if this is not an oem pc, check the connection of the wires to the jumper block on the motherboard.

As for the upgrade, it won't hurt to run the 3070 with your current stuff. Depending on what you are playing, it may be fine as is. You are not going to go too far wrong whatever you decide.

You can try, even though your CPU will bottleneck that RTX 3070 to some extent. When the time comes to upgrade your CPU's platform (a newer CPU, new motherboard and new RAM), the RTX 3070 can be carried over into the newer build.

Back