Should I sell my Radeon RX 480?

Holy poo....I had no idea! I grabbed a RX580 from MSI a month ago for $250 - can't believe that it's worth more now.

The person who snagged about 30 RX480s on the forums here a month or two back for $125-$150 each comes to mind...lucky bstrd.

Yes, sell it and get an EVGA GTX 10 series. EVGA warranty/technical support is excellent, other major MFG's ... not so much (if at all really)

yeah i just found out there are shipments coming as well.. trickling :D... or theyre screwed. at this point, they are going to supply to miners and miners alone i would think?? with vega looming?

almost makes me think that stores have been told to restrict stock, let it trickle..... until vega.

i dont know if you read any of my other replies on this general subject but.. i glanced at a computer from a major retailer.... the rep was trying to explain to me that they had none left in the warehouse but..... it was clear.... there were 30+ cards of most of the skus available............... i played stupid...

There are indeed shipments coming in. You can disagree, and I'm fine with that. As to the rest, I'm not saying but I still do mine.

Difficulty of ETH mining has gone up such that what would mine you about .75 ETH per month a month ago will now mine you about .45 a month. Definitely a massive amount of new mining gear has come online.

Just my 2c, but assuming electricity is cheap try to mine and make some money from your cards while you can. They are still just as good after the fact, I mean unless you are pushing your cards to the limit and breaking stuff why not? The fun fact about Nvidia cards is the value plummets when the new architecture comes out. Psss... Volta

Just my 2c and bitter about dumping 2 290xs after the last craze for a 980ti ... Just a hint ... We're on sale last week for $200 from evga. Granted doubled price paid for the rigs from the coins and utilities.

I'd almost argue that nVidia plummeting in value over time to be a good thing rather than a bad thing.

EG right now. You can get 980ti (which is still good performer) for peanuts but you can't even get a 480 without paying through your nose for it, and 480 can't touch 980ti in performance.

Bear in mind though I keep my cards, I CBA selling them so value plummeting quickly never factors into my decision to buy a GPU, only who can offer me what I want when I want it, and if I were in that market now, that person definitely is NOT AMD right now, though it's more due to the mining craze than anything else.

Even in Taiwan where high end gear is often plentiful, all 580/570/480/470 are completely sold out.

GN found some 500s in Taipei...

That video was taken 2 weeks ago, just before Computex (28th May).

No idea if they are still buyable right now, but all online shops and even our ebay/amazon equivalent have all run out of stock, so I honestly don't think it's likely that Guan Hua would still have them.

But I am not going to spend my precious weekend and US$50 round trip to find out.

Every time I think about getting into mining, I look through a getting started guide, promptly close that tab and play a game instead.

I did the same a few times. But it's truly pretty easy. Instead of reading a guide watch YouTube video. Like mining ether guide. It took me 10 mins to start mining and zcash was just as easy. Mining ether on 1080ti. I was like $6.50 a day. Mining zcash I am $10.50 a day. I might mine ether with a second AMD GPU. Have a $80 Newegg gift card, just saw a rx570 come back in stock tonight but for $270 lol. Even Newegg is making extra $70 right now. I didn't pull the trigger.

I have a Sapphire 280x is there a demand for this card also? If so how much have you guys seen them go for?

That's the retail price though.

Geforce GTX 1070 regularly goes on sale for $330 and has even gone as low as $310.

I bought mine shortly after launch for $330 open box from Micro Center. Like new... I guess someone wanted a 1080 instead.

I just looked on Micro Center's site and they are cleaned out. What, are people snatching up 1070's now too? Maybe I need to sell mine for $450 and put it towards a 1080ti...

edit - $670 for founders edition 1080ti's ? bleh

There's an open box MSI 1080 for $520 after MIR. And another Gigabyte one for $485 after MIR

Broke down and just sold my son's MSI 290X Gaming for $315. Bought it 2/5/2015 for $270 (Maybe even less as it had a rebate I cut the UPC off for). Not to shabby! Picked him up a Asus Strix ROG 1070 to replace it for $370 (AR).

Last edited:
I bought mine shortly after launch for $330 open box from Micro Center. Like new... I guess someone wanted a 1080 instead.

I just looked on Micro Center's site and they are cleaned out. What, are people snatching up 1070's now too? Maybe I need to sell mine for $450 and put it towards a 1080ti...

edit - $670 for founders edition 1080ti's ? bleh

There's an open box MSI 1080 for $520 after MIR. And another Gigabyte one for $485 after MIR

A lot of people are selling there old Radeon RX 480/580 and buying Geforce GTX 1070.

yeah right now nvidia has mad rebates on pretty much all current models...

sold my 290 (non X) 4 GB TRI X for $330 canadian plus shipping. whats that? 200USD?

EDIT: Miners are now going after 1070's.

Back