Should I RMA my PG279Q?

Therein

n00b
Hi all!

I'll be honest: I registered only to ask for opinions on my monitor's backlight bleed. English is not even my second language, but I need feedback from a community as big as possible and I believe this may be the right place.

So, I bought an Asus PG279Q a few days ago and I'm probably paranoid, but as I spent a lot of money on it, I want it as perfect as it gets. Problem is that I come from a TN panel, never had an IPS and I cannot compare with any other previous experience, so I would like you to judge my panel's backlight bleed and if it is too severe and should be getting a replacement.

I took five pictures, with different brightness level. Please let me know if I should try with other settings as well (I usually have it at 40-60):

0 brightness: http://imgur.com/HlU5qPp
HlU5qPp.jpg

25 brightness: http://imgur.com/fX1OgwK
fX1OgwK.jpg

50 brightness: http://imgur.com/pqvnFbb
pqvnFbb.jpg

75 brightness: http://imgur.com/uJVLgcN
uJVLgcN.jpg

100 brightness: http://imgur.com/AgQSc3N
AgQSc3N.jpg

So what do you think? Is it too much? Is it the minimum expected? Should I ask for a replacement? Am I making too much of a fuss?

Thanks in advance!!

These regular IPS are trash, be it the Asus, Acer and ViewSonic Versions. They all use the same garbage panel. Send it back, save some more $$$, wait for FALD.

Send it back for a refund if you don't like it. You may get one even worse if you try to swap it.

If you're already used to TN panels then just stick with them or wait for the FALD IPS monitors. These garbage IPS panels are not worth the slight upgrade you get in colors over the more recent TN.

You won't even notice that while gaming. That's actually pretty good as far as bleeding is concerned, I've had worse. I'd keep it if I were you. You have other issues to worry about like dead/pixels, etc. You got a keeper.

These 27" 144Hz IPS panels are shit. I've bought a FreeSync version from Asus and backlight bleed was terrible. Replaced it...even worse. Replaced it again...still shit. Replaced it again...turd. Gave up and went with a larger 60 Hz panel until they get their shit together.

It's the same with all manufacturers that use that panel.

These regular IPS are trash, be it the Asus, Acer and ViewSonic Versions. They all use the same garbage panel. Send it back, save some more $$$, wait for FALD.

If you're already used to TN panels then just stick with them or wait for the FALD IPS monitors. These garbage IPS panels are not worth the slight upgrade you get in colors over the more recent TN.

And where are these FALD IPS monitors supposed to arrived? (Hope it is not those monitors I read about a few months ago that are going to launch at around 2000 euros though hahaha).

I don't want to go back to TN, though. I like the colors and viewing angles.

Send it back for a refund if you don't like it. You may get one even worse if you try to swap it.

Looks normal. The uniformity will even out the more you use it.

You won't even notice that while gaming. That's actually pretty good as far as bleeding is concerned, I've had worse. I'd keep it if I were you. You have other issues to worry about like dead/pixels, etc. You got a keeper.

These 27" 144Hz IPS panels are shit. I've bought a FreeSync version from Asus and backlight bleed was terrible. Replaced it...even worse. Replaced it again...still shit. Replaced it again...turd. Gave up and went with a larger 60 Hz panel until they get their shit together.

It's the same with all manufacturers that use that panel.

Well, now I know that at least seems that I was kinda lucky hahaha. Didn't know that the uniformity would even out with the use.

I don't actually notice it while gaming (didn't have too much time for it though, too much work and too little time) and all that, but for example, when writing this post, as the background is black, I notice it a bit on the right and left, as well as the other day watching Better Call Saul's latest season on some shots in the dark, but I don't really feel like it's "gamebreaking" :)

Oh well, I think I'm gonna keep it, as asking for a replacement may fire back and it is not as bad. Thank you very much for your help!!

Here is my MG279Q at 35 brightness, this looks 95% of what I see in person in a room that's all dark.

DSC02050.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02050.JPG
    DSC02050.JPG
    9.8 KB · Views: 24
And where are these FALD IPS monitors supposed to arrived? (Hope it is not those monitors I read about a few months ago that are going to launch at around 2000 euros though hahaha).

I don't want to go back to TN, though. I like the colors and viewing angles.
Q4 2017 is all we know right now.
Well, now I know that at least seems that I was kinda lucky hahaha. Didn't know that the uniformity would even out with the use.

I don't actually notice it while gaming (didn't have too much time for it though, too much work and too little time) and all that, but for example, when writing this post, as the background is black, I notice it a bit on the right and left, as well as the other day watching Better Call Saul's latest season on some shots in the dark, but I don't really feel like it's "gamebreaking" :)

Oh well, I think I'm gonna keep it, as asking for a replacement may fire back and it is not as bad. Thank you very much for your help!!
It will even out a little, so don't expect miracles. The 'X' pattern you're getting on full brightness will probably be the profile for the life of the panel. The brightness in the corners can be eased by loosening the frame carefully, but it's hard to do with these monitors using thin bezels without potentially damaging the LCD. Good news is you won't notice it while gaming except in really dark scenes if you use a reasonable brightness level like 25 for this monitor.

do you regularily view your monitor ina black room like this?

How about taking into considering some real world viewing?

I have one, it has backlight bleed similar to this. I considered RMA'ng it, but figured it was not worth the hassle, especially if i got another one with worse bleed. Glad I did not RMA in hindsight, the bkaclight bleed is almost never distracting.

Yours looks good. I am not seeing any "yellow" glow in your pics, which is a good thing compared to the far less distracting "silver" glow. Just check for dead pixels and any trapped specks of dirt.

Yes these monitors can be a pain, playing the panel lottery and such. But if you get a good one, they can't be beat for gaming. I don't see how anyone could go back to a 60Hz monitor after getting used to a high refresh VRR Predator or Swift.

IF you get a good one. It's hard to enjoy it with washed out patches over the screen. But for me, even with a perfect one regarding BLB, the prominent IPS glow on a 27" screen ruins any slightly darker content. Versions without strobing are also just marginally better regarding blur than 60 Hz screens so there is even less reason to get them.

Here is my MG279Q at 35 brightness, this looks 95% of what I see in person in a room that's all dark.

DSC02050.jpg
Well, yours looks way better than mine hahaha

Q4 2017 is all we know right now.

It will even out a little, so don't expect miracles. The 'X' pattern you're getting on full brightness will probably be the profile for the life of the panel. The brightness in the corners can be eased by loosening the frame carefully, but it's hard to do with these monitors using thin bezels without potentially damaging the LCD. Good news is you won't notice it while gaming except in really dark scenes if you use a reasonable brightness level like 25 for this monitor.
Well, I'm not going to mess with the bezels, just in case I break it or something haha

do you regularily view your monitor ina black room like this?

How about taking into considering some real world viewing?

I have one, it has backlight bleed similar to this. I considered RMA'ng it, but figured it was not worth the hassle, especially if i got another one with worse bleed. Glad I did not RMA in hindsight, the bkaclight bleed is almost never distracting.
Yep, I'm never in a dark room unless lights die and I have no replacements. I actually was thinking the same: On one hand, I paid a lot of money for a product, so I want it as perfect as it gets. On the other hand, as now I've been told that I have a good one when it comes to the IPS problems, not only is there a possibility of getting a worse one, but the hassle of talking with the vendor, setting this one back in the box, deal with the courier, etc feels like not being worthy. Or that I'm lazy as hell.

Yours looks good. I am not seeing any "yellow" glow in your pics, which is a good thing compared to the far less distracting "silver" glow. Just check for dead pixels and any trapped specks of dirt.

Yes these monitors can be a pain, playing the panel lottery and such. But if you get a good one, they can't be beat for gaming. I don't see how anyone could go back to a 60Hz monitor after getting used to a high refresh VRR Predator or Swift.
Yeah, I checked dead pixels as soon as I got it and there were none, so all good there. I agree on what you said about going back to 60hz. I personally rarely felt anything GREAT going from 30 to 60 FPS, but I did notice when reaching 100+ FPS. Everything seemed like flowing way way better than ever.

IF you get a good one. It's hard to enjoy it with washed out patches over the screen. But for me, even with a perfect one regarding BLB, the prominent IPS glow on a 27" screen ruins any slightly darker content. Versions without strobing are also just marginally better regarding blur than 60 Hz screens so there is even less reason to get them.
Yeah, this is one of my biggest concerns, but in the end, there's rarely very dark environments for long both on movies and games, so I can put up with some bleed or glow for 5 minutes in exchange of the beautiful colors the rest of the time.

Actually, this forum is one of the few places I notice the glow/bleed, but I guess I could change the template to a light one and solve it haha

Back