Should I return my Galaxy Nexus for a...?

Teh Lurv

Weaksauce
Hey everyone, I signed up for a 2 year contract with Sprint a week ago. When I signed up, I decided to pick up a Galaxy Nexus. I didn't care for the Motorola UI of my old phone and wanted to try pure Android. I love the UI and like the phone hardware (except no sd slot), but I'm finding the battery life not too impressive. Battery life isn't a problem yet during my regular work-day, but I can see situations (like at PAX East, etc) where it'll wilt.

I'm about half-way through my 14 day return period and I'm currently mulling whether I should return it for a different phone. So far, I'm considering:

LG Optimus G
Galaxy SIII
HTC EVO 4G

I ruled out Galaxy Note II. A bit too large and I don't feel like dropping $300.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Yes, you bought a phone on contract that normally goes for $150 probably now. No reason for you to sign a contract for a Galaxy Nexus now (or before since the GSM models cost $350 from google).

Any of those 3 you mentioned are fine.

I wouldn't take a HTC evo 4g over nexus no way. Out of those go for the lg IMO. SIII is not that impressive over a nexus IMO.

I say the S3 because it at least has a guaranteed update coming up.

LG is sketchy and that Evo won't get crap.

You have a few options. Obviously, you need something within 7 days, so waiting on the S4 isn't going to work. You also said that you like the stock UI. Based on that, get the S3 and use Nova/Apex/Holo launcher. Due to Samsung using Holo for the background UI, these launchers give you the feel of stock throughout the UI on Samsung's Touchwiz, unlike HTC Sense where you still have Sense menus and the notification bar behind the launcher. The Evo 4G LTE is the better phone, IMO, but if stock UI matters, go with the S3.

Or, you can consider dumping the contract while you still can, getting a Nexus 4, and going to a GSM carrier :)

Well, if you absolutely want to change phone, I'd personally go with SGS3. The battery capacity on it isn't that much more than Galaxy Nexus though. Have you considered getting the extended battery for the GNex?

Also if you are interested in having the latest Android without rooting, GNex/Nexus 4 will guarantee you with much quicker updates than any of the other phones you've suggested.

Consider getting the extended battery for the GNex instead. None of the other phones have that impressive battery life either.

The evo and lg phones are both very nice. The galaxy nexus; sadly; was quite a lemon. Only the s3 support and external battery (evo and lg are sealed). The evo has ok battery life and kick ass screen but i personally decided not to buy another phone with sealed battery that is less than 3000. Hum. Not sure which you should trade for but I would definitely dump the nexus and quickly.

How in the world is the galaxy nexus a lemon? we are the only ones running 4.2.2 besides N4, n7 and n10 and is probably one of the better "aging" phones after almost 18 months I have no reason what so ever to upgrade. The dev community is huge also. LOL people are clueless

however if getting a phone now there's no reason to get a galaxy nexus especially when you can get an Optimus or SIII I would get the LG personally.

I would have to agree that the Galaxy Nexus (for being so old) is still a badass.

I will have had mine for 2 years at the end of this year and have experimented with a variety of Roms to find what I like in terms of performance/features/battery life.

Sprint seems to always lag behind when it comes to phones and or features (i left them to go to Verizon where I got my Galaxy Nexus)

Running 4.2.2 right now -- and yes battery life isn't the best - but there are options to fix that. I have my phone modded for wireless inductive charging with the stock battery - pretty sweet to just set it on my desk and see it light up :)

How in the world is the galaxy nexus a lemon? we are the only ones running 4.2.2 besides N4, n7 and n10 and is probably one of the better "aging" phones after almost 18 months I have no reason what so ever to upgrade. The dev community is huge also. LOL people are clueless

The Verizon/Sprint versions seem to have slightly worse battery life, and they are many months behind on firmware updates. The Galaxy Nexus is not a lemon, but the CDMA versions can be construed as one, if you bought it thinking that it was an actual Nexus (as most did).

True, I own the Google gnex so things are different. I kind of live in the no carrier phone world now and forget not everyone does. Can never go back though !

I had the GN on Verizon & it was a complete dud. Bad radios & multi-touch issues just to name a couple. If I were the OP, I would go in this order;

1. HTC One (coming very soon) - Newest & best hardware spec.
2. Galaxy Note 2 - I have it. Big screen & great battery life. It's badass.
3. Galaxy S3 - My daughter has it. Battery life is questionable. Decent otherwise.
4. Optimus Pro G - It's decent. That's about it.

Hey everyone, so yesterday I went back to the Sprint store and picked up a S3. Alas I'm already regretting it. :( My home is in a small low coverage zone so both the Nexus and S3 go in and out of cell roaming. I discovered last night while setting up the phone that when it is plugged in to charge, the S3 goes to No Service. I googled my problem and according to the Sprint forums it is a common issue with the S3 when roaming. Since I need my phone to take work on-calls, this phone isn't going to work for me.

I may just go back tonight and grab another Nexus and workaround the battery life when necessary.

The s3 has a great 4g signal but average 3g; the nexus was similar. The note 2 has very good reception (3g and 4g). No clue about the evo and optimisu pro but i've heard good things bout the non-sprint evo.
-
Sorry about the issue you are having with the s3; I was more familiar with the verizon version where 4g is a 'big' deal. I should have mentioned that the s3 had only ok 3g reception given that you are on sprint. Mind you from what I've read the s3 is better nexus.
-
Btw before you return the s3 you might want to check on xda; the s3 is unlocked and their are alternative roms which might resolve the issue. I'm not strongly suggesting this route. THe other thing you can do is tell sprint you have signal issues. Not always but in some cases they are known to send (what is that device called) that acts as a relay station.
-
Anyways don't know what to suggest. I think overall the s3 is a better phone than the nexus but for your specific situation it might not be the right solution.

I am sorry you went with Sprint, they blow. I left them last year for Straight Talk-AT&T, couldn't be happier, and my bill was cut in half, and have much better coverage, and faster service. And no contract, no commitment.

Sprint has the worst network in the U.S. in my opinion, of the big four. So happy to be gone.

Could not be happier with the Nexus 4 on Straight Talk.

Yeah, I'm thinking I may cancel my Sprint contract before the 14-day grace is up due to that reception issue in my house.

I've been with Sprint since the EVO 4G was announce @ google i/o. Just left them last month for pre-paid :) Too many broken promises with Sprint. Their Data speed is worse than dialup, VERY SPOTTY 4G. Very happy with my Nexus 4 on T-mobile's monthly 4G 30/month plan ;). I avg 5-10Mbps down, 1-4Mbps up.

I live in the twin cities here in MN btw

I've been with Sprint since the EVO 4G was announce @ google i/o. Just left them last month for pre-paid :) Too many broken promises with Sprint. Their Data speed is worse than dialup, VERY SPOTTY 4G. Very happy with my Nexus 4 on T-mobile's monthly 4G 30/month plan ;). I avg 5-10Mbps down, 1-4Mbps up.

I live in the twin cities here in MN btw

Smart move. I also left Sprint, now have the Nexus 4 running Straight Talk AT&T, my bill was cut in half, actually more than half in savings per month. My speeds are actually faster, and network more reliable, rarely dropped calls, Sprint I had dropped calls daily. And best of all, no contract anymore.

Yeah, I'm thinking I may cancel my Sprint contract before the 14-day grace is up due to that reception issue in my house.

That's what I'd do if I were you. A ST AT&T sim card can be had on ebay for $60-70. Yes, you're paying some jackass $50 more than they retailed for, but over time you make up the difference.

Back