Should I replace the battery or just get a new UPS?

delerious

Weaksauce
I have a 4 year old UPS, and I just opened the battery cover to take a look at the battery, as it is probably time to replace the battery. It looks like some electrolyte is leaking around the edges of the battery. Since it is a sealed lead acid battery, that is probably sulfuric acid (and maybe even some lead?). Do you think it'd be safe to try to handle the battery and remove it, or should I just discard the UPS altogether and get a new one? Getting a new battery would cost only $30, but getting a new UPS with the same specs would cost around $170-$200.

Wear gloves, remove the battery, and seal it in something to prevent it from leaking all over the place. Take it to your local hazardous waste disposal location and get rid of it. Then purchase a new battery. As long as the UPS itself is still fine, there's no reason to throw the whole thing away.

If it's APC, open a support case. Last time one of their batteries leaked and even slightly corroded a single plug to the UPS unit, they sent me a repalcement battery and new UPS unit in exchange.

APC rocks. I'm glad to pay a little extra for this kind of service.

OK taking out the old battery wasn't so bad.

But I installed the new battery and the UPS (a Belkin one) has it's fault light on. The manual says that means either the UPS is bad or the battery is bad. Do I just need to wait a few hours for the battery to charge itself? And I hear a bubbling noise, along with an occasional chirping noise, coming from the battery. Is that normal? This is the first time I've replaced a UPS battery, the noises are a little scary.

Back