Should I re-paste the GPU in my Dell Precision M6600?

Dajinn

Weaksauce
Hey guys, just got a M6600 with the FirePro M8900. I installed the Catalyst drivers to get it recognized as the 6970M and all is fine. Overclocked to 800/1100 no issues. Just wondering though, when playing FFXIV @ 1080p my GPU temp sits at a steady 79-82c and fluctuates around those values. Should I bother repasting the GPU or is that temperature range completely acceptable under 100% load?

I also just remembered that the M6600 is a laptop from mid-2011 so the paste/padding is probably relatively old. I dunno if that even makes a difference but it's worth considering I guess?

Last edited:
Personally, I think it's acceptable under 100% load, especially when OC'd.

I probably would, personally, though I wouldn't say it's important to. I think that it could help a little if you use good paste.

re-paste it, I learned alot about the magic of re-pasting a GPU with my old 7970. Temps were greatly improved with the new paste. This is doubly true when the paste has dried and cracked.

If you have to disassemble most of the computer to get to the heatsink, I wouldn't bother. If it's easy to get to and repaste...do it.

In one of my older work Dells, the GPU cooler's pad on the heatpipe wasn't even touching it. They had TIM filling the gap, but it was a huge gap. I ended up taking the whole assembly out and bending it down a bit so it actually made decent contact with it.

If you don't mind taking it apart, check it out. It might be worse than just not-quite-perfect TIM application.

Back