Should I RAID 0 M4 128GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trackr

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an M4 128GB.

I'm wondering whether I should get another one and RAID 0 them..

Or sell it and get an M4 256GB.

Thanks.

You're more likely to have problems with two drives than one.

RAID adds complexity, extra latency and calculation for your computer in general.

Add a second drive and migrate part of your data to it with softlinks or other means might be a better solution than RAID.

Why not do a little research?

This is me doing research.

You're more likely to have problems with two drives than one.

RAID adds complexity, extra latency and calculation for your computer in general.

Add a second drive and migrate part of your data to it with softlinks or other means might be a better solution than RAID.

But what about the performance increase?

Also, I thought SSDs couldn't be R0'd without losing garbage collection or something like that..

Besides the cool wow factor of running SSD's in RAID0, there is really no real world, daily value you'll see compared to a newer drive of large capacity. While day to day use, games, media viewing will benefit with the faster access speed for loading, the real use I could see anyone using a RAID0 SSD setup would be for video editing. Unless you are using some expensive high end controller, I'd grab one of the newer (840 PRO) SSD's on the market now of a size that fits your need.

But yet again, this is a forum for hardware, go crazy! :D

I like your input, but perhaps you'll indulge me by fleshing it out?

I could, but you should first flesh-out your question. What will you use your computer for? What will you use the RAID0 volume for? What I/O patterns are most important for you to optimize? Are you going to pair a used SSD with a new SSD, or are you buying new drives? What kind of controller are you using? Which version of which OS? Or are you just doing it for bling? Or to study something? What's your budget? What's your goal?

Last edited:
If you were buying 2 at the same time, go raid 0. Same 'born on' date will help ensure fairly even wear leveling. Since one is well used, you could raid 0 if you really wanted to, but you'd get better performance and longevity out of a new larger drive.

Real world daily value in my case.. bought 3 ocz from directron when they were clearanced. 360GB ssd for less than $200 as a single drive letter. Value is up to the beholder.

I have a box with two Samsung 830's in Raid 0. Works perfectly fine and is fast fast fast.

I'm really confused.

When I asked about RAID 0 in regards to HDD's, all anyone ever said was "Yeah, you'll get twice the bandwidth. Go for it."

Whenever I ask about RAID 0 in regards to SSD's.. suddenly everyone has a billion questions.

What's the difference?

Well for one I believe that on most motherboards you lose TRIM while in Raid. Other than that I'm not sure what the hangup is.

Well for one I believe that on most motherboards you lose TRIM while in Raid. Other than that I'm not sure what the hangup is.

Right, TRIM. That's what I was referring to.

So.. if I R0 two M4's on a P67 I lose TRIM?

And.. is that important?

I'm really confused.

When I asked about RAID 0 in regards to HDD's, all anyone ever said was "Yeah, you'll get twice the bandwidth. Go for it."

Whenever I ask about RAID 0 in regards to SSD's.. suddenly everyone has a billion questions.

What's the difference?
The difference is that you asked different people about different technologies. "Everyone" is hyperbole and refers to different sets. Really, you should ask yourself the same questions about both mechanical drives and SSDs in RAID0. Bandwidth only matters for sustained transfers. Usually, drives aren't doing sustained transfers -- unless you've got some particular application where you are doing sustained transfers.
So.. if I R0 two M4's on a P67 I lose TRIM? And.. is that important?
The P67 chipset does support TRIM on RAID volumes, but the BIOS has to support it, too. You'll have to figure out if your BIOS does or not. (Searching and reading by yourself is doing research. Asking others for help is not.) TRIM is important if you write to your drives and consistent write performance is important to you. If you're reading always (or, at least, almost always) then you don't need to worry about it.

Last edited:
The difference is that you asked different people about different technologies. "Everyone" is hyperbole and refers to different sets. Really, you should ask yourself the same questions about both mechanical drives and SSDs in RAID0. Bandwidth only matters for sustained transfers. Usually, drives aren't doing sustained transfers -- unless you've got some particular application where you are doing sustained transfers.

Well, yeah, I do a lot of encoding and rendering. I don't think the SSD is a bottleneck, but who can argue with 500MB/s+ of write bandwidth?

Well, yeah, I do a lot of encoding and rendering. I don't think the SSD is a bottleneck, but who can argue with 500MB/s+ of write bandwidth?
Anyone who thinks the negative issues or risks outweigh the benefit realized for that advantage in their application.

Anyone who thinks the negative issues or risks outweigh the benefit realized for that advantage in their application.

Are you going to keep me guessing for what those negative issues are risks are?

I've had two 256GB M4's in RAID0 since last summer.
Before that I ran two 120GB Vertex 3's....
Before that two Intel 80GB G2's....

The speed difference between a single SSD and two in RAID0 is definitely tangable despite what some people would have you believe.

Yes, without TRIM you could see WRITE performance degradation over a LONG period of time - but if it ever got too bad a quick ATA 'SECURITY_ERASE' command on each drive and you've got brand new performance again. Or if you have a Z77 or newer chipset TRIM in RAID works perfectly and the whole TRIM argument is moot.

If you've got an older Intel chipset like the Z68 that doesn't support TRIM in RAID, you can add a modified Intel RAID OROM to your BIOS that enables TRIM in RAID just like on the Z77 boards. I did it with my Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3 and couldn't be happier.

SO fucking sick of hearing the 'There's no reason to RAID0 SSDs, you won't notice the performance difference' argument from people who have never done it in the first place.

SO fucking sick of hearing the 'There's no reason to RAID0 SSDs, you won't notice the performance difference' argument from people who have never done it in the first place.

Two words: Confirmation bias

aka: there is *zero* need to do RAID0 SSDs unless you need uber bandwidth for something that may need it like video editing.

virtually all new SSD will do at least 500MB/sec reads, that's nearly saturating SATA3 speeds. that's plenty for your average consumer situation.

Is OP serious with this?

The "RAID 0" + "SSD" question gets asked at LEAST once a week, and the OP has enough nerve to complain when others don't jump at the bit to answer this for the 1000th time this year alone? It's called the search button, use it.

Oh, and just in case:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=raid+0+ssd

Two words: Confirmation bias

aka: there is *zero* need to do RAID0 SSDs unless you need uber bandwidth for something that may need it like video editing.

virtually all new SSD will do at least 500MB/sec reads, that's nearly saturating SATA3 speeds. that's plenty for your average consumer situation.

Eh I doubt anyone NEEDS an SSD for video editing. Need is such a strong word!!! I do video editing on a old 160GB laptop hard drive. Is it fast enough to play raw video in realtime? No. Does it need to be? No.

Since I don't know, I would have to guess.
Or, you could try researching it. Some of the answers are already here in this thread.

The negatives include higher latency, lower reliability, less stable performance, and less longevity.

I have an M4 128GB.

I'm wondering whether I should get another one and RAID 0 them..

Or sell it and get an M4 256GB.

Thanks.
RAID 0 128GB will give you more sequential read and write speed, and better queued depth performance. 1 256GB will give you better latency, boot and application load speed.

Is OP serious with this?

The "RAID 0" + "SSD" question gets asked at LEAST once a week, and the OP has enough nerve to complain when others don't jump at the bit to answer this for the 1000th time this year alone? It's called the search button, use it.

Oh, and just in case:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=raid+0+ssd

Dude, if a question is asked once a week, wouldn't that make you that much better at answering it?

By now, you should be able to condense it down into one sentence.

Kinda like this guy:

RAID 0 128GB will give you more sequential read and write speed, and better queued depth performance. 1 256GB will give you better latency, boot and application load speed.

Except.. what about TRIM?

Except.. what about TRIM?
If you have a 7 series or newer Intel chipset (Intel OPROM 11.2), and you create the array with the Intel chipset, then SSD's will be TRIM'd under a RAID configuration. If you are using an add-on controller for RAID, then you will need to look at their documentation on whether or not the TRIM command is passed along.

If you have a 7 series or newer Intel chipset (Intel OPROM 11.2), and you create the array with the Intel chipset, then SSD's will be TRIM'd under a RAID configuration. If you are using an add-on controller for RAID, then you will need to look at their documentation on whether or not the TRIM command is passed along.

I'm using P67. Bummer.

If you use them for an OS drive, it might run slightly slower because it needs to load the RAID controller as well.

If you use them for an OS drive, it might run slightly slower because it needs to load the RAID controller as well.

Yes, the trade off is seek time but you get higher bandwidth, if I'm understanding it correct.

No, that would be you. As it's been pointed out many times in this thread you failed to even do a search for a very commonly asked question. The fact that you seem to think that we're lazy for not keeping pre-written answers for when people like you who are too lazy to search for them speaks, well I'll just say poorly of you so as to try to stay within forum rules. Additionally examples have been given in this thread as to why RAID-0 would not benefit your situation much but you were apparently too busy calling everybody else lazy to read them.

Stop being a dick and spend some time with that link at the top labeled "Search".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back