Should I put WinXP Pro on a Win7 Stater netbook?

Dosobye

Limp Gawd
Anyone have any experience doing this? What did you notice?
The net book is your standard N450 pine trail. Would I notice a decent increase in performance going to WinXP over this Starter crap?

Or hell even Win2000. Still have a copy of this from college software bundles lol

Win 7 Starter sucks. I'd go with a full version of XP any day of the week.

Starter sucks, put a real version of Windows 7 on there. Don't even bother with XP now.

If your only options are starter or xp, I would go xp. If you can do a fuller version of 7 though that would be best. I would definitely recommend an upgrade to 2GB Ram though.

On my netbook, Win 7 Professional ran much better than XP Home.
Mine had an 8GB SSD and 512MB Ram.
It now has a 16GB SSD and 2GB Ram and OSX 10.6

You guys really think that Win7 full version will run faster than win XP? I know winXP is old, but I am simply looking for the fastest performance. This is just a basic laptop for internet and word, I just want to maximize performance even if I have to sacrifice some features.
Lastly, what is it about Win7 starter that makes it slower than Win7 Pro?

If your only options are starter or xp, I would go xp. If you can do a fuller version of 7 though that would be best. I would definitely recommend an upgrade to 2GB Ram though.

This, unless you can get your hands on a copy of Windows 7 HP or higher. At least you have the ability to use multiple monitors, fast user switching, and change the desktop background without relying on 3rd party software in XP.

I wonder why Microsoft bothered with a Starter edition when the Home Basic edition (available only in emerging markets) could have sufficed nicely?

Back