Should I pull the trigger on this MSI RTX 2080 card?

guitarguy6

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi guys, I used to be an avid PC gamer but about 4 years ago I started my own business and became a dad so I didn't have to much time to play. Now that my kids a bit older and I'm not working 60+ hours a week getting my business running I'm back into gaming. I currently have a GTX 1070, i7 4790k OC'd to 4.5GHz and 16GB DDR-3 ram. I mostly game on my Oculus Rift and would like to crank up the graphics higher than I can with my 1070. I also swapped out my monitors for a big 4k HDTV so I'd like to be able to game in 4k if I'm not in VR. Newegg has a sale that ends in 8 hours on the MSI RTX 2080 Ventus for $920 CAD. Would my cpu and ram bottleneck my system with an RTX 2080? Is there another card I should be looking at? Seems like an RTX 2070 wouldn't be a huge step up from my 1070. Are the RTX 2080's still having issues?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The RTX 2080 should be a good choice at 4K.

There may be a bottleneck, but I think you will still see a decent boost going from 1070 to 2080.

I was previously playing on a 4790K and Titan X Pascal (which should be in the same league as the 2080) and I was able to play 4K on a lot of games.

Granted, not necessarily on Ultra settings, but High, or Very High with some tweaks, totally possible.

Thanks for the input. I don't need ultra settings at 4k just mostly looking for a better VR experience. I have enough points on my visa card to deduct $600 from the 2080 and can probably get $300cad for my current GTX 1070 so I think I'll go for it. Just been out of the PC loop for so long I wasn't sure if my 4790k OC'd was still decent.

Back