Should I pick up an Aorus 5700 XT or should i wait and save for big navi?

Leito360

Weaksauce
Hello.
Right now I have, practicaly, no video card. I paired a 3700X/32GB RAM with a XFX 8500GT. So no gaming for me.
I was considering picking up this card, but since MSI AB can't handle the fans and there are several issues with Wattman, I was wondering if I should wait for big navi, considering that the RDNA2 will introduce new features. I know it may take like a year to have big navi with AIB coolers, so... what do you people suggest me to do? (Of course, i'm aiming for 1440p gaming and a card to last for some years like 3 at least).

This question is always, do you want to game now? If yes buy now. Waiting will always get you a faster card, but for more money.
If it were me, I'd buy now. But only so I could game now.

Big Navi release is looking to be at least 6 months away (with good cards from AIBs later). Big Navi will not move the price/performance needle as much as some people purport: likely above $550.

Like the post says above, if you want to play games over the next 6 months, get a card now.

Buy now. You have a beast of a system with nothing to play it with. If you play at 1080p like I do a 100 buck rx580 would get you six months to big Navi

An 8500GT was a Debbie Downer of a card when it was brand new. I would not wait for Big Navi when you can get a card that would nuke it from orbit today. Hell, even a 4GB Radeon RX 570 would scrape the 8500GT off its shoe...

I used AB to monitor my MSI RX 5700 Mech OC as I leave it at default and run in auto which takes care of it's own profile really ..

I would buy now only for the free games as I got Ghost Recon Break Point with the card for $329 and each game to me does cut the cost down of the video card over all as games do outlast video cards and where the real value is at and made .

Last edited:
What did you build your new system for? If for gaming then you need a GPU that will meet what you desire for gaming. At 1440p my 5700 XT has zero issues maxing out my games with very high frame rates, max settings I want.

I predict a upcoming drought of video cards, take that as you may, could be wrong. Prices are going up, last week you could get RTX 2070's for under $400, good luck now. Most 5700 XT's are now over $400, some ridiculously high.

My advice is either a 5700XT or a 2070 Super KO, since most 5700 XT's are over $400 and the 2070 Super KO are $499 -> 2070 Super KO.

In before the Reference models are noisy and hot argument. :) These are great prices for these XT models and definitely worth it. I have a 5700 non XT Reference with a 5700XT bios flashed to it and it is stable and fast. The 2070 Super is good as well, if you are willing to spend the additional money.

In before the Reference models are noisy and hot argument. :) These are great prices for these XT models and definitely worth it. I have a 5700 non XT Reference with a 5700XT bios flashed to it and it is stable and fast. The 2070 Super is good as well, if you are willing to spend the additional money.
I wonder how folks drive a car or a motorcycle with all the noise that can happen or use a window A/C unit which is twice if not louder than the 5700 XT reference. Yeah some people do have very sensitive ears, I've spent years in engine rooms, manufacturing with big machines. Calling the 5700 XT ref loud for me I find funny. Yet I still have excellent hearing, what gives??? Those are the best deals I've seen for a 5700 XT. The Anniversary Edition has very good binned GPU's, mine will undervolt and hit 2100mhz (consistently) limited only by the cooler for top speed and then memory bandwidth. The memory does not OC that good -> 910mhz.

Nice deal in those. Decent now and cheap enough to add a water block as well and not be too pricey.

Considering the AE for giggles.

Reactions: noko
like this
I wonder how folks drive a car or a motorcycle with all the noise that can happen or use a window A/C unit which is twice if not louder than the 5700 XT reference. Yeah some people do have very sensitive ears, I've spent years in engine rooms, manufacturing with big machines. Calling the 5700 XT ref loud for me I find funny. Yet I still have excellent hearing, what gives??? Those are the best deals I've seen for a 5700 XT. The Anniversary Edition has very good binned GPU's, mine will undervolt and hit 2100mhz (consistently) limited only by the cooler for top speed and then memory bandwidth. The memory does not OC that good -> 910mhz.

The air filter in my computer room is louder than my reference 5700. And my window mount AC unit in the summer definitely is louder by a lot.

To the OP's question, if we knew when Big Navi was launching, we would have a better idea how to answer you.

like this
The air filter in my computer room is louder than my reference 5700. And my window mount AC unit in the summer definitely is louder by a lot.

To the OP's question, if we knew when Big Navi was launching, we would have a better idea how to answer you.
I think some folks just want to find something to complain about, now if the computer was in a library, bedroom etc. (except I also have a window unit in my room that runs at night, sleep like a baby, cut my electric bill down almost $200 over the central air system) then buy what is appropriate, if one has the volume turned up, headphones etc. At least for me it is a non-issue.

I’m getting picky about loud PCs these days but that is in idle or light use. Once the gaming starts it’s temps /performance above all else and good headphones. That or a killer sound setup and go without a headset. Better yet both options!

I’m getting picky about loud PCs these days but that is in idle or light use. Once the gaming starts it’s temps /performance above all else and good headphones. That or a killer sound setup and go without a headset. Better yet both options!
At idle, the reference 5700XT is quiet, with default fan curves gaming I would say reasonble, you will most likely hear it but it is not an irritating sound. At above 60% it gets much louder. Of course your mileage may vary. When I am gaming, I don t notice it unless I pay attention to it. With headphones, it doesn't matter if at 100% fan speed.

At the price of the 5700 XT ref linked above you could water block it as Jay2Cents did a review on it and was in the 2007Mhz range .. which to me is dam fast for an AMD gpu ..

like this
Comparing 5700 XT to 2070 Super, at 1440p 7% difference. Also include DLSS tests for the games tested that supported DLSS well. For $349 or $369 / vs $499+, a great deal from Dell.

Hello.
Right now I have, practicaly, no video card. I paired a 3700X/32GB RAM with a XFX 8500GT. So no gaming for me.
I was considering picking up this card, but since MSI AB can't handle the fans and there are several issues with Wattman, I was wondering if I should wait for big navi, considering that the RDNA2 will introduce new features. I know it may take like a year to have big navi with AIB coolers, so... what do you people suggest me to do? (Of course, i'm aiming for 1440p gaming and a card to last for some years like 3 at least).

It looks like you only upgrade your GPU every few years. In your case I would say wait for the next round of Navi cards. The current AMD cards don't support Ray Tracing and won't support most of the features of DX12 ultimate.

I would pay the extra for the 2070 super than buy a 5700 today.

Comparing 5700 XT to 2070 Super, at 1440p 7% difference. Also include DLSS tests for the games tested that supported DLSS well. For $349 or $369 / vs $499+, a great deal from Dell.

I think the 5700xt is a great card, but if I had to buy a card now for the next 3/4 years then I would either wait for the next round or buy a 2070 Super.

Right now I wouldn't buy an AMD card unless its super cheap.

If you dont want nvidia then you should wait for big Navy. Otherwise I'd get a RTX2070 super

Sorry I wasn't here to reply to all the messages... Thank you all for your replies.
I decided to wait for Big Navi. I had, until recently, an RX480 that kicked ass for like 3+ years, the 8500GT is like my backup card... I may be buy a middle ground card or a pre-owned one.
For some moments I will really regret not buying the 5700XT, but when Big Navi launches I certainly will think that it worth the wait, also, i'm going to have better FPS in 1440p for sure. I think it's time for me to play all of the Jedi Knight series :D:D:D:D:D

Hello.

Sorry I wasn't here to reply to all the messages... Thank you all for your replies.
I decided to wait for Big Navi. I had, until recently, an RX480 that kicked ass for like 3+ years, the 8500GT is like my backup card... I may be buy a middle ground card or a pre-owned one.
For some moments I will really regret not buying the 5700XT, but when Big Navi launches I certainly will think that it worth the wait, also, i'm going to have better FPS in 1440p for sure. I think it's time for me to play all of the Jedi Knight series :D:D:D:D:D

I am also waiting for Big Navi, and am looking to get a used Vega 56 to tide me over (current GPU is a MSI GTX 1070 Sea Hawk X, but I want to build a Ryzentosh).

it's only "worth the wait" if gaming is enjoyable on the current setup.

Well, that's true too. If the last few years have taught us anything, waiting isn't always the best policy. People were waiting for the 1080Ti to drop in price then the mining craze hit, then they were waiting for Turing, but those cards were priced super high and the 1080ti prices stayed high. On the AMD side things haven't been much better, Polaris was supposed to be cheap, but was over $200 apart from a few limited cards, then Vega which was $599 and $699 for the Vega 64 and liquid cooled models, apart from the limited numbers at launch offer prices of $499 and $599.

So who knows what will happen with prices when the next generation cards arrive.

I'm in the same boat, but possibly trying to game 1080p med settings now to be able to have more money for big navi/ampere something that'll be a 4k gaming later

get another rx480/r9 390 for like $75 in fs/ft, will play pretty much everything at 1080 medium to high settings. You'll likely be able to recoup the majority of the $75 when you sell when you pick up a big navi.

Last edited:
right now the 5700 non x is probably the best price/performance card in the last 4 years. If you're into overclocking, and either want to put it under water, or just crank up the fan, you can easily powerplay table mod them for a significant boost in performance, in many cases higher than the 5700xt stock. It really comes down to the silicon, cooling, and type of stock or custom power delivery layout you get from the vendor. Most people try the powerplay table mod for a day or two and then just settle in on something slightly under max volts and clocks to get that comfy heat/performance balance under 80c for extended gaming. While it won't give you 4k60 in the newest games, it will deliver an experience comparable to what you're going to get from the ps5/nextbox. I just upgraded the media box in my living room from a 970 gtx to a 5700xt and honestly it has way outperformed my expectations from a sub $400 card. When you find games like Doom Eternal that have been designed to take advantage of AMD hardware, it's quite a remarkable little card. The real factor for most gamers today is do you want 4k60 or do you prefer hi fps at 1080/1440. If you need 4k60, Nvidia knows that they hold the trump card right now in that class and decidedly charge a significant premium for it. While a 2080 super has made it more approachable, the custom 2080ti cards have really distanced themselves from the pack in the last year or so.

On a side note, what games would you be playing? Often times most gamers really only pump their time into 2-3 main titles a year and then maybe a few ancillary pleasures. That should really be the deciding factor in the type of card you're looking for.

right now the 5700 non x is probably the best price/performance card in the last 4 years. If you're into overclocking, and either want to put it under water, or just crank up the fan, you can easily powerplay table mod them for a significant boost in performance, in many cases higher than the 5700xt stock. It really comes down to the silicon, cooling, and type of stock or custom power delivery layout you get from the vendor. Most people try the powerplay table mod for a day or two and then just settle in on something slightly under max volts and clocks to get that comfy heat/performance balance under 80c for extended gaming. While it won't give you 4k60 in the newest games, it will deliver an experience comparable to what you're going to get from the ps5/nextbox. I just upgraded the media box in my living room from a 970 gtx to a 5700xt and honestly it has way outperformed my expectations from a sub $400 card. When you find games like Doom Eternal that have been designed to take advantage of AMD hardware, it's quite a remarkable little card. The real factor for most gamers today is do you want 4k60 or do you prefer hi fps at 1080/1440. If you need 4k60, Nvidia knows that they hold the trump card right now in that class and decidedly charge a significant premium for it. While a 2080 super has made it more approachable, the custom 2080ti cards have really distanced themselves from the pack in the last year or so.

On a side note, what games would you be playing? Often times most gamers really only pump their time into 2-3 main titles a year and then maybe a few ancillary pleasures. That should really be the deciding factor in the type of card you're looking for.

I decided to buy a RX550 for now, the drivers of the 8500GT are all over the place. I will be playing some light stuff at 1080p for now. THe idea of having Big Navi is to run 1440p at high framerates (I know it's going to be a 4k capable card), by that time i'll have my 1440p @144Hz monitor around, and then, enjoy gaming for some years without worrying if something is going to run fine or not.
As i'm getting older I have less and less time for gaming, so all of this is mostly a hobby, but when I play, i like to play with very few compromises.
The iddea of the RX550 is to keep it as a backup card, if this situation shows up again... or maybe to have it in another setup to put it to good use.

Back