Should I keep an old Ivy Bridge rig?

muzicman82

Weaksauce
I have an old Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI build that has a Intel Core i5-3570K and 16GB RAM. I just replaced it with a Z490 / Core i9-10900 build. Besides getting hyperthreading, I don't think there's much or any benefit trying to upgrade it to an i7.

Functionally, there wasn't anything wrong with the 3rd Gen build for casual non-gaming use. Hell, I ran AutoCAD on it just fine.

I doubt I could sell it for much, but am wondering what to do with it... I already have two laptops and a Intel NUC for HTPC...

I had it once set up as a Hackintosh as the Gigabyte boards were friendly for this. I could go back to that just for having a macOS test system.. but unsure if it would run newer versions of macOS.

The build is listed here.

I guess the more general questions are - does anyone see any value in this (to possibly sell) or should I just maybe recycle the board/cpu/RAM and turn it into a new Mini ITX build? The BitFenix Prodigy case is pretty nice.

It's still a fine system for the basics (web, office, light gaming, etc.). You're probably right in that it won't sell for much. Know any friends/family that could use an upgrade?

Or maybe turn it into some kind of server/NAS.

Sell it to someone that needs a PC. Probably get a couple hundred for it. I sold a 2500k PC I was given for building a friend his Ryzen 2600X setup for $235.

IMG_5605.JPG

I sold some Ivy bridge systems a few months ago. Just cpu/mobo and 8gb of memory each and both pulled in $150 each. You would be surprised.

They were both i5's.

Despite it's age a machine like that compares favorably to a lot of cheap new machines. I'd sell it, give it to someone you know, or donate it. Someone can use it and will be quite happy with a machine like that.

If you have an HTPC you could consider make a media server (and all around) on it, with your own dropbox service and so on
Actually, I originally built this to be a HTPC, but it got too hot in the credenza, so I replaced it with a NUC5.

Thanks for the thoughts all.

I think I'm probably going to keep it around maybe make it a Ubuntu box. I may actually dual boot Ubuntu and macOS. As a life long Windows pro, I really need to get back into Linux. I may also use it as a web server box for the very little development that I do.

I know macOS inside and out but occasionally need a test setup for AV things.

I did just move the GeForce 750 Ti to my wife's 4th Gen i5 rig.

It might be worth more than you think. There weren't a lot of mITX Z77 boards out there.

I've been running a hex Ivy-E for a number of years now. No issues gaming at 1080p at all.

nah dont keep it. throw it out.
I'll show you my trashcan. Best way to throw it out. please put it down gently though ;)
That is a nice tv computer as well

I got a 3770 and a 4790 cpu/mb/ram sitting in boxes. I keep telling myself to do something with them but I never have time.

Back