Should I keep a Dead Toshiba Lap Top?

narsbars

2[H]4U
Laptop + Wine=Dead Laptop. I have a 6 month old Toshiba with a T6600 new 16 inch screen etc. Is there a chance in hell of finding a motherboard for a price worth paying? The lappy was $650.00 on sale and I don't want to pay $350.00 for a new mb.
Anyone have any ideas on a source or should I just pull the memory, the cpu, and trash the rest?

Strip out and save the LCD, (for a future mod maybe), strip out the ram, cpu, battery, and HD, then chunk the rest. It is really hard to find a replacement laptop mobo for for a reasonable price.

Spilling wine into a laptop voids most warranties that I have seen.
Most, but not all. Read all the fine print, then when it says you're screwed..........strip out the good parts and start a FS thread. ;)

That's the problem with a lot of electronics........most of the time the pricing makes it easier to replace it than fix it.

Most, but not all. Read all the fine print, then when it says you're screwed..........strip out the good parts and start a FS thread. ;)

That's the problem with a lot of electronics........most of the time the pricing makes it easier to replace it than fix it.

Tell me about it. That's part of the reason that the TV and electronics repairman has all but disappeared. Then, when an old $1500 VCR broke a belt, you paid $75 and had it fixed. Now, when a $50 VCR stops working, or just no longer matches your new entertainment center you toss it out and buy a new one.

We live in a disposable world.

You can always sell it with "water damage" on ebay and someone will buy it.

Part it out?

I wouldn't bother fixing it. Just figure out the model of the motherboard and search google or ebay, decide if it's worth it, profit?

Back