Should I just get a SSD 2.5 or a M.2 SDD, I heard the M.2/msata kinda overheat though ?

Subzerok11

Gawd
I'd like to go cable-less in my case but not at the threat of the M.2/msata overheating and then throttling back, from what I've read in a couple of places. I know I could up the speed of my fans in my case but again not at the expense of my case being noisier. This would be for a new Sklylake build by the way, also by the way was probably going to get a 1TB one. It seems by far though 2.5 SSD's are the most popular maybe I should just stick with that.

Also in a few years which direction is this going to go 2.5 or the PCI SSD ?

make sure you have direct airflow on M.2 and you are good to go. Whether that is GPU fan or another fan. Any direct air flow is sufficient.

I've been using a Samsung 850 EVO M.2 for some time and haven't had any issues with it. I run my OS off that drive as well as a handful of games that have annoying loading screens. I suppose it depends on how much you stress the drive as to whether overheating is a problem. For general use and some gaming I haven't had any issues with it.

A lot depends on the placement of the m.2 slot on your particular motherboard, especially in relation to other hot components on the motherboard. Some manufacturers have done a better job of this than others. I love my 950 Pro for what its worth.

Last edited:
A lot depends on the placement of the m.2 slot on your particular motherboard, especially in relation to other hot components on the motherboard. Some manufacturers have done a better job of this than others. I love my 950 Pro for what its worth.
Great truth to this. Direct airflow or not, when the/an m.2 slot is under the primary video card slot, that is an awful lot of direct HOT air blowing on the card. Also, unless you are specifically looking for a PCI-E or nVME drive, an m.2 SATA drive will just save a little space within the chassis. No real speed benefit when connecting as a SATA drive in that slot..

Great truth to this. Direct airflow or not, when the/an m.2 slot is under the primary video card slot, that is an awful lot of direct HOT air blowing on the card. Also, unless you are specifically looking for a PCI-E or nVME drive, an m.2 SATA drive will just save a little space within the chassis. No real speed benefit when connecting as a SATA drive in that slot..
false....directly under GPU is one of the best spots if you have a gigabyte/evga type aftermarket heatsink. the amount of airflow those blast on the drive is crazy as long as you use custom fan curve or turn the fans up on GPU.

hot air is irrelevant as lot of it diffuses heat. 20C air or 50C air is irrelevant as long as the drive is cool

false....directly under GPU is one of the best spots if you have a gigabyte/evga type aftermarket heatsink. the amount of airflow those blast on the drive is crazy as long as you use custom fan curve or turn the fans up on GPU.

hot air is irrelevant as lot of it diffuses heat. 20C air or 50C air is irrelevant as long as the drive is cool

True. Although it very much depends on the disparity in temperature between the ambient of the drive and the temp of the air blowing on it. My SM951 in an m.2 slot under the VGA card is an easy 10-20C warmer during a load on the video card than the PM951 in a PCI-E to m.2 adapter and 2 slots away. While you are correct that different video card heat sink designs may funnel air through different paths, I don't buy that cooling with 50+C or warmer air is effective.

True. Although it very much depends on the disparity in temperature between the ambient of the drive and the temp of the air blowing on it. My SM951 in an m.2 slot under the VGA card is an easy 10-20C warmer during a load on the video card than the PM951 in a PCI-E to m.2 adapter and 2 slots away. While you are correct that different video card heat sink designs may funnel air through different paths, I don't buy that cooling with 50+C or warmer air is effective.

my 980TI 1500mhz with max software voltage cools the 950 PRO just fine as long as the fans actually are spinning. the issue is when the fans are on auto they don't spin fast enough to actually cool the SSD due to the heatsink is so good a slow fan spin cools the GPU but metals the SSD. as long as fans at 50% or greater SSD is perfect its when the fans are funning at 20-30% which is plenty to good the GPU but fries the SSD

I have 2x 256gb Evo 950's in the rig in my sig, 1 for the OS and the other for storage, and have had zero issues with overheating. Both of the run at around 36-42C when I push them hard all day long (weekends mainly), under light loads they stay between 28-35C.....

However, I have gobs of airflow in my case, so thats a definite plus for me, and a worthy consideration for those with less airflow and/or smaller cases :)

I have 2 Samsung Evo 850 M.2's in an i7 Skull Canyon NUC which has very little airflow, if any, and I have had no temp throttling . Have not seen either drive over 50C during large file transfers or games. CPU runs much higher but not the drives/

If you are super concerned about the little buggers temps you could always add some tiny memory heat sinks to them if space permits. With that being said on my Asus z97 itx board the m.2 slot is on the back of the board and in my Evga Hardron case there is very little if zero airflow back there and I have had no noticeable troubles. I think the 950 pro might be a different story. Here is a page showing the heatsinks for the ssd's : [Official] Samsung 950 PRO Owners Club - Page 82

I thought I read that they got hot under abnormal conditions such as benchmarking, but they were fine under normal use. Laptop manufacturers have been cramming M.2 SSDs into laptops for a little while now so I don't think there's an issue. I've been running my Samsung 950 M.2 under my video card for 4 months now and have not had any issues, of course, I'm not doing huge reads/writes from it either, just everyday home use.

I thought I read that they got hot under abnormal conditions such as benchmarking, but they were fine under normal use. Laptop manufacturers have been cramming M.2 SSDs into laptops for a little while now so I don't think there's an issue. I've been running my Samsung 950 M.2 under my video card for 4 months now and have not had any issues, of course, I'm not doing huge reads/writes from it either, just everyday home use.
depends. mine melts when my GPU is running but fans are not spinning fast and the SSD is accessed. its fine if GPU fan is off and gpu has no load. GPU has massive heatsink and can radiate with slow fan...thats when the SSD melts.

if the laptop case gets how and it goes under heavy load it will melt.

If you are super concerned about the little buggers temps you could always add some tiny memory heat sinks to them if space permits. With that being said on my Asus z97 itx board the m.2 slot is on the back of the board and in my Evga Hardron case there is very little if zero airflow back there and I have had no noticeable troubles. I think the 950 pro might be a different story. Here is a page showing the heatsinks for the ssd's : [Official] Samsung 950 PRO Owners Club - Page 82

Or you could use a ridiculous overkill heatsink like I did
L36tceg.jpg

08G3ICA.png

Never goes above 42C even when I benchmark it over and over

i always liked the copper zalman spiky ones. Those were pretty good.

That works if not under PCIe stuff haha.

Everyone should buy a pack or two of those mini/ram heatsinks.

I've used them on lots of products, PVRs, routers, Slingboxes you name it. If I buy a product and it gets hot/warm I open it up and check the chips to find the hot one. They never have any heatsinks due to cost so I pop one of those little heatsinks on as long as it will fit.

The nice long ones that used to go on the likes of old GeForce 3 cards are great for sticking along VRMs or chokes on cheaper motherboards.

Back