Should I just get a 4070Ti?

It is hilarious that some of you can claim what others should care and not care about based on your situation. For me as well as many others having another 200 Watts dumped into a small room for similar performance seems stupid. It gets hot as hell here in the summertime so the extra heat is extremely unwelcome. But I guess I must be wrong since you clearly determined that gamers don't give a shit about stuff like that.

In germany-engand if you're work from home :

View attachment 551105

Over 3 years can cost you easily cost around $140 has a start between an xtx and a 4070ti, gaming 10 hours a week between a 3090Ti vs a 4070ti can be around $145

It is not that big obviously (and depends about the heating-ac situation) but over negligible, in the sense that could be enough that if you that to the price tag of the 3090Ti-6950xt the 4070Ti could look more interesting to some.

I'm not sure how you're calculating your numbers to get $140 over 3 years. Are you assuming 40 hours/week of multi-monitor power consumption and then an additional 10 hours a week gaming? I mean that seems very subjective. If someone goes to the office instead and games the same 10 hours a week, it would be essentially a negligible power difference when the difference is about ~100W under a gaming load between a 3090Ti and a 4070Ti. 10 hours a week is essentially an extra kWh a week @ $0.17-0.25 x 52 weeks = $13/year at the high end.

Obviously, if you're using the card to render full time or something and are running full out 24/7 then the difference adds up.

I mean wouldn't it cost more if you get the 4070ti for 4k gaming (Remember this is all about 4k gaming) after finding out your 4070ti is limited because of vram.....Then you go out to buy another card so you can game at 4k?

Just seems silly to me is all. I would rather save up and get a 4080 GTX over a 4070ti. But, both cards are terribly overpriced.

I hate to even say it. I would at that point get a 7900 XT over a 4070ti for 4k just because of vram for 4k gaming.......BUT thats a stretch because I would not recommend it.

Bottom line, save the money and get a 4080 GTX.

I'm not sure how you're calculating your numbers to get $140 over 3 years. Are you assuming 40 hours/week of multi-monitor power consumption and then an additional 10 hours a week gaming?
It is either (a 7900xtx vs 4070ti just 40 hours a week idle, you only work and do nothing else on that computer or 3090ti vs 4070ti you only play 10 hours a game), thus at a start between a 4070ti and a 7900xtx or 3090ti vs 4070ti because it is a minimum
power difference when the difference is about ~100W under a gaming load between a 3090Ti and a 4070Ti
could be your experience (maybe with vsync on ?)

but it seem to be more 200-250w according to reviews if you let the 3090ti go:
power-gaming.png

Not an issue in cold climate or where electricity is cheap enough, but in a lot of the EU that have either little AC or quite high electricity cost, it can make the used 3090TI with no tax looking cheaper, not really being cheaper.

17 cent look cheap for the EU, summer of 2022 in Sweden the op country average cost was .29 US, during the winter it went close to .5, in high demand hours .7, but obviously when it is cold your computer heat help you.

Ukraine war could stop early spring and the special amount of worry about energy pricing for EU buyer could go away, but if your are in England and some other region it would make sense if it is a close enough call to at least look at it.

XTX is an option, too. Would rather get that any day over a 4070ti.
As I would agree. I was trying to stay in the budget of a 4070ti. The TS plays in 4k, he needs to understand playing at that resolution changes the hardware needed to properly play at that resolution.

But you are right. I would rather get a 7900xtx over a 4070ti. But that is what almost $200 more? Why I recommended to get a 3090ti. They came down in price to around $750 or something recently?

Last edited:
ut that is what almost $200 more?
Cheapest xtx on pcpartpicker 14452.41 kronor, cheapest 70ti around 10499, that $380 usd more.

used 3090ti in that market seem to go for quite the fortune

Cheapest xtx on pcpartpicker 14452.41 kronor, cheapest 70ti around 10499, that $380 usd more.

Think we're focusing more on the US market.

*edit* Missed the little "I'm from EU" in op. Disregard lol.

4080 have started dropping in price as well, some can be found below 15.000 swedish crows which is about €1350. I might actually wait a couple of months and see if Easter brings the prices even down. For about €1200-1250 4080 is a good buy for me. I paid that much for a 3080.

While searching for good deals on 4080/4070Ti, I came across PowerColor 7900 XTX Red Devil Limited Edition for about $1500. Yes I know some of you are going to raise your eyebrows, but we're talking EU prices where everything is +30% and in euros. This is cheap, especially for a rare card. It's cheaper than all 4080s I could find, both brand new and used.

Someone returned it though so I'm curious why. Heard these cards have coil whine so it might be it, but I also know coil whine does disappear and is often caused by high fps (I game at 4k/120hz so I might hear less of it). I like the removable backplate and I was thinking about painting it myself (I have a white build). Its RT seems to be +-15% of 4070Ti and I plan to keep this card for 3 years or so, until RX 9xxx / RTX 6xxx are out.

"I also know coil whine does disappear"

You say that as if it's some kind of actual fact. I've never seen coil whine disappear or even improve with time or use.

If it was about €1300 then sure, easy buy.

I’m a bit sad that Nvidia has done such a great job anchoring everyone to their insane pricing regime that it’s getting to the point where we see a 1300 Euro price tag and think to ourselves “oh yeah, that’s completely appropriate, take my money!”.

"I also know coil whine does disappear"

You say that as if it's some kind of actual fact. I've never seen coil whine disappear or even improve with time or use.
Coil whine is dependant on quite a few factors and I assume you know the reasons, but I also heard (haven't tested myself) that it disappears if you stress test the card for a long period of time. Now I did have coil whine on my older GPUs, either on 980Ti or 1080Ti and it did disappear after a while.

I’m a bit sad that Nvidia has done such a great job anchoring everyone to their insane pricing regime that it’s getting to the point where we see a 1300 Euro price tag and think to ourselves “oh yeah, that’s completely appropriate, take my money!”.

While your points are valid, I'm at a stage of life where I can afford 4090-priced card every 2nd year. I don't buy those as I find them to be ridiculous, although to be honest, €1500 4080 is more ridiculous than €2000 4090.
But when you look at performance you get for money, then it's kind of ok. You can run most games with 3080Ti at 4k and max details but I'd probably want to upgrade next gen. While Nvidia/AMD are still able to keep me "on leash", now I bark every 4th year instead of every 2nd year.

While your points are valid, I'm at a stage of life where I can afford 4090-priced card every 2nd year. I don't buy those as I find them to be ridiculous, although to be honest, €1500 4080 is more ridiculous than €2000 4090.
But when you look at performance you get for money, then it's kind of ok. You can run most games with 3080Ti at 4k and max details but I'd probably want to upgrade next gen. While Nvidia/AMD are still able to keep me "on leash", now I bark every 4th year instead of every 2nd year.

Oh I can “afford” it as well, but it certainly doesn’t feel “normal” or “justified” given past GPU pricing even with consideration for inflation. The fact that we’re now routinely seeing cards at this price and just shrugging our shoulders and saying “yeah, I guess that’s about right” is unfortunate.

This launch feels a lot like Turing to me, where Nvidia and AMD thought that maybe the market got used to the pricing, only to discover that nope, it hadn’t, and the next round was back roughly to normal. Hopefully that happens again.

Oh I can “afford” it as well, but it certainly doesn’t feel “normal” or “justified” given past GPU pricing even with consideration for inflation. The fact that we’re now routinely seeing cards at this price and just shrugging our shoulders and saying “yeah, I guess that’s about right” is unfortunate.

This launch feels a lot like Turing to me, where Nvidia and AMD thought that maybe the market got used to the pricing, only to discover that nope, it hadn’t, and the next round was back roughly to normal. Hopefully that happens again.
Yup. Some people lose the distinction between not being able to afford something, and not buying something out of principle.

If you don't want to buy something out of principle, then you don't need it. A computer isn't vital for your survival.
But if you really want it, can afford it yet don't buy it because of a principle, then you're a bit naive.
I wish 4080 was a €500 card, but it isn't. Do I like it? Absolutely not, but I can't change the price. I can however change how often I buy the product.
I actually complain to tech reviewers (as much as insignificant me can) and urge them to include Intel A750/770, A380 etc in ALL their GPU reviews because even though Intel is evil, they should get a wider support on their GPU side because we could really use a 3rd player in the GPU race.

If you don't want to buy something out of principle, then you don't need it. A computer isn't vital for your survival.
But if you really want it, can afford it yet don't buy it because of a principle, then you're a bit naive.
I wish 4080 was a €500 card, but it isn't. Do I like it? Absolutely not, but I can't change the price. I can however change how often I buy the product.
I actually complain to tech reviewers (as much as insignificant me can) and urge them to include Intel A750/770, A380 etc in ALL their GPU reviews because even though Intel is evil, they should get a wider support on their GPU side because we could really use a 3rd player in the GPU race.

Well:

1) This isn’t a question of principle, it’s a question of fulfilling a need at an appropriate price. If the market price of a 4080 is declared to be $1600 by Nvidia, then I’m not participating in that market, because it’s not worth $1600 to me. I don’t understand how that would make me “naive” to be honest, particularly given the definition of the word “naive”.

2) If enough people decide not to buy it, they CAN change the price, because that’s how markets work, and that’s how they did work after Turing. During the mining boom, enough people were making money that the GPU became a tool for mining and not for gaming, so of course people were willing to pay a higher price. Once again, that condition has changed, once again, Nvidia and AMD were hoping that gamers were anchored to that price so they kept them there, and once again, they’re discovering that the market is largely assessing it as too high, hence why inventory movement has slowed down. They won’t maintain the prices at this level if that trend continues.

I'm a RT snob and if that is important in 4K I would go for the 4090.
I have a 4080, with RT maxed out and I play at 3440x1440.

If you (OP) plan on turning down the RT settings then a 4080 is the better choice.

2) If enough people decide not to buy it, they CAN change the price, because that’s how markets work, and that’s how they did work after Turing.
Yup. Too many people just shrug and say "Oh well, that's the market". Consumers are their own worst enemy. Consumer spending doesn't always set the market, but when Nvidia and AMD are looking for 60%+ margins, then yes, consumer spending can shift the market. Look at the 7900XT, can already be found below msrp.

I got 7900 XTX Red Devil today and initially I did not like it, but after tuning a bit it's pretty epic. Seems to go above 2900mhz in most games although I'm annoyed I can't break that 3ghz barrier.

I'm a casual gamer, but I game at 4k/120hz. I found out my PS5 gets more gaming use than PC but there are games that I prefer to play on PC, like upcoming Diablo 4 and many MMORPGs. And it just happens that those games are usually not very demanding.

I could probably try and find 3090 for about the same price, but I want a white card and that automatically makes it a lot rarer second hand (I'm from EU).
I'm not anti DLSS(3) and I think Ray Tracing performance is important so this is the reason I'm considering 4070Ti instead of 3090/Ti or AMD. I think AMD will just fall behind in performance as more and more games start implementing RT. AMD really messed up this gen.
For 4k/120, you probably should be looking for 3090Ti, 4080, or 4090.

Since the EU prices are so nuts, is it possible to import it from the USA and be cheaper? Or is it the euro to dollar conversion that makes it more? :/

You could make a 4070ti work, but might need to turn down some settings. Using DLSS it would be rending in a lower res then upscaling, so the memory system throughput might have less impact, but I haven't researched that at all to know for certain.

Edit: If you got that 7900xtx in white, I think you are all set.

For 4k/120, you probably should be looking for 3090Ti, 4080, or 4090.

Since the EU prices are so nuts, is it possible to import it from the USA and be cheaper? Or is it the euro to dollar conversion that makes it more? :/

You could make a 4070ti work, but might need to turn down some settings. Using DLSS it would be rending in a lower res then upscaling, so the memory system throughput might have less impact, but I haven't researched that at all to know for certain.

Edit: If you got that 7900xtx in white, I think you are all set.

It's black, but I think it fits, especially since I plan to paint the magnetic backplate with some white details.
These new GPUs are insanely big. I got this 2814/3000 Limited Edition for some €100 cheaper than the brand new price as it was an open box. Probably because it has coil whine, something I've noticed but it's not bothersome to me. It actually whined a lot when I started it up and I was going to return it. Now it seems to be a lot quieter, not sure why. But I don't even hear coil whine anymore.

It looks better in reality.

Attachments

• 20230302_214101.jpg
    20230302_214101.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 0
OP, which white PCB 4070 Ti are you aiming at?

Not really much to choose from. There's only GIgabyte Aero which isn't really white in my opinion.
4080 has Strix White which is waaaaaaay overpriced as it's only €50 cheaper than the cheapest 4090, lol. MSI Trio White isn't available in Sweden yet.

Good choice and the RT isn't terrible like last gen AMD if your into that.

Well, I was hoping the card would hit more than 2.9ghz in games. Some games it hits 2.8ghz. Some 7900 XTX hit 3.2ghz and Red Devil Limited Edition should be a higher binned 7900 XTX.
And also I've been getting really low 3d Mark scores. Like 22k Time Spy.
Maybe I'm just not doing the OC right (although I did read guides online). I will try MSI Afterburner this weekend.

Well, I was hoping the card would hit more than 2.9ghz in games. Some games it hits 2.8ghz. Some 7900 XTX hit 3.2ghz and Red Devil Limited Edition should be a higher binned 7900 XTX.
And also I've been getting really low 3d Mark scores. Like 22k Time Spy.
Maybe I'm just not doing the OC right (although I did read guides online). I will try MSI Afterburner this weekend.
from what I remember. Overclocking the memory too high can dramatically lower performance. So, something to keep an eye on. It seems overclocking the GPU only is the best practice?

No, it has shit memory at 12gb. I would not get any card under 16gb of memory.
A card that isn't doing 4K gaming doesnt need more.. barely any games use a ton of vram anyways.. Only those OPTIONAL HD Texture packs and maybe some titles at 4K maxed settings.. But a 4080 or 4090 is for those. 4070 Ti is a kick ass card esp for a casual gamer..

A card that isn't doing 4K gaming doesnt need more.. barely any games use a ton of vram anyways.. Only those OPTIONAL HD Texture packs and maybe some titles at 4K maxed settings.. But a 4080 or 4090 is for those. 4070 Ti is a kick ass card esp for a casual gamer..
Lmao. $800+ card. "Casual gamer". The state of pc hardware....

The casual gamers are just going to go buy a console at that rate and tell Nvidia/AMD to shove it.

Doesn't forespoken and hogwarts already use more than 10 @ 1440p? How long until you think 12 will be maxed out? I wouldn't buy a card with less than 16 @ 1440 these days.

I never said the 4070ti was a crap card. What I said it was a terrible 4k card and the price was terrible.

Great card otherwise.

I never said the 4070ti was a crap card. What I said it was a terrible 4k card and the price was terrible.

Great card otherwise.
It's faster than a 3090, and costs a lot less msrp to msrp. Your description is completely wrong.

It's faster than a 3090, and costs a lot less msrp to msrp. Your description is completely wrong.
Since the 3090 cannot be found anymore for MSRP and is EOL, It is a good description.

The 4070ti is an overpriced card that should be around $600-650, specially since its only a 12gb card.

Doesn't forespoken and hogwarts already use more than 10 @ 1440p? How long until you think 12 will be maxed out? I wouldn't buy a card with less than 16 @ 1440 these days.
If Hogwarts does, it does not seem to be an issue:

Ultra_1440p-color-p.webp

Usually the 11gig 2080TI get ahead of the 3070 if having just 8gig of vram is an issue, here the 1% low are higher with a 3070, does not seem to show a difference appearing at 4k ultra quality TAA high between the 12 gig 3080 and 10 gig 3080 either
https://www.techspot.com/review/2627-hogwarts-legacy-benchmark/

No what he said is fairly accurate as it's gap drops off at 4K over the cards that have more bandwidth. Even right there in the techpowerup review it clearly says that 4K scaling is lower than expected. Couple the lower bandwidth with only 12 gigs of vram and it is not a very good 4K card at this point going forward. There was one reviewer that showed in a couple of games that the 3090 could handle settings at 4K that made the 4070 TI stutter and hitch. If you want to play the latest demanding games it's much more suitable for 1440p at this point going forward.

If Hogwarts does, it does not seem to be an issue:

Ultra_1440p-color-p.webp

Usually the 11gig 2080TI get ahead of the 3070 if having just 8gig of vram is an issue, here the 1% low are higher with a 3070, does not seem to show a difference appearing at 4k ultra quality TAA high between the 12 gig 3080 and 10 gig 3080 either
https://www.techspot.com/review/2627-hogwarts-legacy-benchmark/
With this graph it makes the 4070ti look even worse since it matches the 6950xt, which can be found for $699.....And has 16GB of memory. https://shop-us-en.amd.com/amd-radeon-rx-6950-xt-graphics/

With this graph it makes the 4070ti look even worse since it matches the 6950xt,
Even worst than what ? Yes there is many game include 1080p that a 6900xt even will be faster than the 4070ti, Hogwart is a game that run particarly well on AMD at least on lower res, the 6800 beat the 4090 at 1080p:

Medium_1080p-color-p.webp

the 4070ti get closer to the 6950xt has you rise the resolution and details, it beats it once you go to 4K ultra high:

Ultra_2160p-color-p.webp

Back