Should I??????? (i Need Help Techs )

Bbond919

Weaksauce
ok guys check this out.....i found a CPQ R3140us laptop for 570$$ should i buy it???

dvd+rw/cd-rw combo drive
512 ddr dram memory
60gb ultraDMA hard drive
integrated 802.11 wireless G
32Mb ddr nvidia dedicated memory
15.4" wxga display

i work at circuit city as the pc tech ,and its one that we are sellin as an open box ....
Their is nothin wrong with the laptop at all....it has all the accessories , it has a fiew scratches on the outside but their is nothing wrong with the screen or keyboard area..

The only thing that im not familiar with is the Dram...and also the ultraDMA Hd...is that like an ultra ide or what....

I would be using it to mess around with linux set up as a dual boot Pc with the occasional game / school / and wardriving....

What do yall think??? is it worth it??? tell me why its worth it and if not then let me have it and tell me why not???

Thanks Guys....

Not to be rude or anything, but you're the PC tech and you're asking us what UDMA and DRAM is?

Seriously though as long as the original Warranty is intact, then go for it.

Nate7311 said:
Not to be rude or anything, but you're the PC tech and you're asking us what UDMA and DRAM is?

PC tech doesen't necessarily mean that they know the hardware inside and out ya know... heck im a pc tech and i don't know what udma and dram is (yes i have heard of them).. i only know what im suppose to know for my job. :D

Nate7311 said:

yeah....i was more askin from people that have had experience with udma and dram not for some smart ass reply. ..Being a pc tech, their will always be things that you know and things that others dont.. part of being a tech is sharing experiences and learning from eachother and your mistakes.Technology changes daily and their is not 1 person that knows it all. their is one thing i cant stand about this field...it would be people like nate7311 , people that think they know everything and try to boast and brag....people like you are people that all the tech's hate. My advice to you would be to CHILL and dont post gay shitt tryin to be a smartass....

and yes i did a google search...i just wanted feedback from my fellow HardOcp people

the warranty is in tact...

Thanks guys

Bbond919 said:
ok guys check this out.....i found a CPQ R3140us laptop for 570$$ should i buy it???

dvd+rw/cd-rw combo drive
512 ddr dram memory
60gb ultraDMA hard drive
integrated 802.11 wireless G
32Mb ddr nvidia dedicated memory
15.4" wxga display

i work at circuit city as the pc tech ,and its one that we are sellin as an open box ....
Their is nothin wrong with the laptop at all....it has all the accessories , it has a fiew scratches on the outside but their is nothing wrong with the screen or keyboard area..

The only thing that im not familiar with is the Dram...and also the ultraDMA Hd...is that like an ultra ide or what....

I would be using it to mess around with linux set up as a dual boot Pc with the occasional game / school / and wardriving....

What do yall think??? is it worth it??? tell me why its worth it and if not then let me have it and tell me why not???

Thanks Guys....

Wow, I feel sorry for the customers that bring their computers there.

While I'm not going to get into the fact that you should know what those are I will say this.

That notebook sounds like a good buy. Depending on how old it is(too lazy to look it up) hp will prob warranty it but it may take some work. Seems like it could be a nice find for you.

I'm sorry, that the others have been so pathetic.

to answer:

DRAM
you speak of isn't quite laptop memory, it's actually a term used for a memory used mostly in Desktops and workstations, it is most likely a typo in the context you are referring to, but it should be SO-DIMM DDR ram which is common and can be purchased cheaply at newegg.com

Ultra DMA is a protocol developed by Quantum Corporation and Intel that supports burst mode data transfer rates of 33.3 MBps. This is twice as fast as the previous disk drive standard for PCs, and is necessary to take advantage of new, faster Ultra ATAdisk drives.
----------------------------
I can't really help you with if you should buy the laptop or not because I'm not sure what you want to do with it. If you post your main uses for the laptop I can better help you decide.

Hope that helps.

Bbond919 said:
yeah....i was more askin from people that have had experience with udma and dram not for some smart ass reply. ..Being a pc tech, their will always be things that you know and things that others dont.. part of being a tech is sharing experiences and learning from eachother and your mistakes.Technology changes daily and their is not 1 person that knows it all. their is one thing i cant stand about this field...it would be people like nate7311 , people that think they know everything and try to boast and brag....people like you are people that all the tech's hate. My advice to you would be to CHILL and dont post gay shitt tryin to be a smartass....

and yes i did a google search...i just wanted feedback from my fellow HardOcp people

the warranty is in tact...

Thanks guys

Woah there Tiger... I didn't boast or brag about anything. My advice to you would be to do the research. Hit google, find your own answers and terms you don't recognize. That's not to say that posting questions here is a bad thing, not by any means, but as UDMA and DDR are VERY common terms ar the core of the PC, and that you are a PC tech, I'd have guessed that you'd be more familar with terms applied to your job. If you take any advice from anyone here, it'd be to research, research, research...

My commont was not meant to be faceious, just surprise. and $570 for an A64 lappy with it's factory warranty? There's a question...? :D

To build on what Stormlifter said: the current standard of UDMA is UDMA-5 also known as ATA100. It is capable of bursts of data from HDD Cache up to 100mb/s. It has recently been replaced by Serial ATA who's 1st generation is capable of bursts up to 150mb/s

dram and udma are more of what i was unshure of..i am well aware what ddr is . i DID my reasearch and i just wanted a second opinion ...

ohh and what do you mean??
my comment was not meant to be facetious, just surprise???

explain yourself.....

dram is a type of memory tech. pc66/100/133 and ddr are all dram. The notebook takes just normal ddr so-dimms. The ultra dma is just as the others have said. The notebook should run it at ata66 or ata100 speeds. The hard drive is just a 2.5 inch hard drive. That is the most simple way to look at it.

onetouch40 said:
Wow, I feel sorry for the customers that bring their computers there.

Eh, CC has gone to shit. Used to be decent back when they payed the salespeople on comission, but after that Feb. change a couple years back and them laying off all of their best people (myself included, yes, I am bitter) they have been no better than BB. When your income requires you to do the best job you can in order to keep it and maximize it, you learn, and you stay on top of things. When you are some kid getting paid $10 an hour or less, you could give a fuckall about customers and what happens.

that pretty much sums it all up.....basically if a customer is a bitch then we fuck em.....if their nice then we hook em up.

I get customer compaints all the time becasue people say that im bein an asshole and that i wont explain to them how to make a new hard drive in a computer work with a fresh operating system install...I tell them the basics but they want details but yet they dont want us to do it..
the main problem that we have in our circuit city is mexicans...HOLY CRAP their are a lott of freakin mexicans. Many of them dont speak english. I have almost gotten into 2 fights because people will come up to the tech bench and play with what im doing...ill tell them to stop, and if they dont listen then i get pissed off....most of the time they dont speak english then well i get pissed becasue this is america god damnit..lean the language

CIRCUIT CITY-- wants the tech bench visible to customers so they know that we have one...yall have no idea how much i bitch about this becasue im always gettin pulled to help people find shitt, or people Steal laptops...or parts...

Wow, such a great attittude, I would hire you in a second! :rolleyes:

P.S. You should be careful what you post about your place of employment online. A lot of places will Google your name, email address, etc. And don't think, "oh, they won't find my [H]Forum handle." Tell that to all the people who have been fired for blogs, forum posts, etc.

Back