Should I go for an i7 7700k on thursday?

Mithan

Weaksauce
I have a 2500k, and I am going to upgrade (it's 6 years old).

Seriously considering an i7 7700k, people keep telling me to go for Zen because I am going to see a "big difference with games", even though those same people know that Zen will run slower on a per core basis (based on rumored benchmarks, which are going to tilt up if anything, not down).

I don't see this "big difference" with extra cores in today's games.

We can extrapolate based on current benchmarks, that the i7 7700k will be faster for games, as seen by using the 68xx Intel Series to compare against.

I can see a "big difference" going from Core i5 to Core i7 or Core i5 to 6/8 Cores, but I don't see a big difference going from Core i7 to 6 or 8 cores in GAMES like Ashes of the Singularity, which some benchmarks show a 30% increase going from Core i5 to Core i7 6700k but then when you go from 6700k to 6 or 8 core 68xx series, you show a much smaller increase.

I get that unzipping documents, handbreak, etc are all going to be faster, but I don't particularly care about all those apps I rarely use (if I use them). It isn't like a 7700k is going to choke on Chrome or that I care if it takes a 2gb file an extra 10 seconds to unzip.

I get that a 6 or 8 core will let me play a game and stream content faster (I don't stream).

Example:
Big increase from i5 to i7, then not so big increase...
ashes.png

Can anybody else sound in on my opinion?

Zen has nothing credible yet besides a few very specific benchmarks.

I'd wait and see how things pan out. Sandy bridge is very capable still. Paired with a nice gpu Sandy bridge won't sweat until you are near 4k resolution on aaa titles.

I would go with the 7700k, zen may or may not be good. but you will be happy with the 7700k upgrade, just don't expect a huge increase in gaming performance, it will be the other features that make it worth while.

Go with 7700k or 6700k with a nice deal and don't bother till at least hexacores become mainstream instead of 4c/8t i7 which is not going to happen for now till 2020.
gtavfps.png

I'd wait a little just to see what zen is about and maybe to get a better deal on a 7700k. If expense is a minor issue then just buy the 7700k.

Yea there's no harm in waiting to see what Zen has to offer. I'm happy with my 6700K that I upgraded to from a 2500K so I'm sure a 7700K would be a great upgrade for you if Zen is a flop.

Ashes of the singularity is an absolutely egregiously awful game. I can't see where there are any high powered graphics required in that shit title. Yet it demands mind blowing hardware to run it and it still looks like complete overhead shit.

What a dumb game and an even worse benchmark. Such a poor game to base your purchases on.

Ashes of the singularity is an absolutely egregiously awful game. I can't see where there are any high powered graphics required in that shit title. Yet it demands mind blowing hardware to run it and it still looks like complete overhead shit.

What a dumb game and an even worse benchmark. Such a poor game to base your purchases on.

Couldn't agree with you more. Don't know why people keep using it as a benchmark

From a guy who waited 5 years to go from 2600k to 6700k, I would say go for it. This will be CPU that will last another 5 years (good or bad depending on how you look at it).

I'm a i5-2500 owner and just like the OP can't wait to upgrade. However, we waited this long and it only makes sense to wait for ZEN at this point.

I know it is tempting to upgrade and we waited long enough, but just wait.

Remember, CPU purchases are now good for 5 years so you will be stuck with what you buy. AMD will probably disappoint but maybe they won't.

You might as well wait for Zen announcements. If rumors of it debuting at CES are true you won't have to wait long to get some performance data. Then at that point you could get whichever suits your needs better.

For gaming though I bet a 7700K will be better than Zen. I don't think Zen will have the per core performance that Kaby Lake does.

lul

So I ordered one from Amazon Prime yesterday and today the link is removed but Amazon says they shipped it.....
Was this a fuckup or should it actually have been for sale already?

So I ordered one from Amazon Prime yesterday and today the link is removed but Amazon says they shipped it.....
Was this a fuckup or should it actually have been for sale already?

Was it sold by Amazon or third party?

Holy crap, your browser links to the future! Can you check the winning lottery numbers for tomorrow and let me in on it?

It was the same link Kyle posted in the other thread. It worked for a couple hours. Asus boards have been up for almost 3 days, ASRock showed up last night.

Microcenter just releases the new processors and matching z270 MBs today with a bundle discount of $30.

If you have a mc locally buy it there as mc is always cheaper on there cpus.

I just upgraded to a i7 6700k like 6 months ago. Happy with it.

The new processors are supposed to use faster ram like 4000+.

If i was a buyer today, Hella yes I'd grab a 7700k and some of thr highest ddr4 ram I could get and run with it.

Normally I'd be upgrading soon as I normally wait till after new years. Last year was the first I got a head start.. sucks.. but oh well.

Back