Should I go for a GTX460 or 5770?

For comparison purposes, the rig in my sig hit 442W running Oblivion. 510W in Dirt 2.

I'd consider a new PSU.

I realize they are different systems, but it gives one a rough idea none the less.

I was told to buy a 500W PSU when I bought this rig. "No problem, a 500W will be plenty" they said. Apparently not. Good thing I listen to my gut and bought the HX850. (Leaving room for future crossfire/water cooling/etc.) I used a PSU calculator as well. It suggested a 550W. Better, but still too low in my opinion. PSU's run best when not being taxed fully. I suspect their 400W will be taxed quite hard, yet people are saying it's ok. I disagree. I admit I am no expert, but I think my point is valid and should be taken into consideration at least. Whether they choose to agree or not is up to them.

The OP is welcome to take or leave whatever they like from my post concerning the comparison.

The bottom line (Or my point.) is I do not think the 400W will be optimal and believe they should consider an upgrade.

Of course having more than 400 watts is prudent for future gaming.

Your rig, though, uses far more juice than his and is incomparable.

If it were me, I would never buy a PSU lower than 600 W to begin with, but 400 W is what the OP has to work with.

I'm currently in a similar GPU situation as the OP --except I actually have the 5770 right now. I'm probably going with a 1Gb 460.

I concede. They can take it for what it's worth. Which only they can decide the value.

If the rolls were reversed, and someone said that to me, I'd be able to read between the lines. I would gain some insight even taking the hardware differences into account. That's me though. My bad for assuming others could/would to.

umm

Does your sig say a Q9550 at 1.55V and two overclocked 5870s?

That isn't anything near what the OP has and sure it can give you a very rough estimate but a better estimate would be one a lot closer to what he has and you can find many reviews/posts showing that it will be sub 300 watts.

Well, I think I'm going to wait until the ATI 6000 series comes out. I'm not in dire need of a GPU right now since I don't have as much time to game. I'm hoping at least the 5770 drops in price and maybe the GTX460 too.

I like how I'm the only person who listed TDP wattage and everyone else just states with no numbers how 400W is plenty of power. System power draw at load means maxing out not just the GPU but the CPU and running other stuff like hard drives and USB attachments and RAM, etc. and accounting for capacitor aging and a general safety buffer, since it's not good for a PSU to run 90%+.

Did you read OP's requirements or are you inserting your own prima-donna requirements for fps? Else why not recommend 3-way SLI GTX 480? Geez, read the OP's requirements before you post. 30 fps is enough for most people, and a 5770 can max out most games at high detail and at 30+ fps. And I'm sorry to inform you but a GTX 460 768MB is only 19% faster than a 5770. The 1GB is 29% faster. You seem to think a GTX 460 like Jesus in a graphics card or something compared to a 5770, but do the math: if a 5770 is sitting at 30fps then a GTX 460 is going to be 36 or 39fps (768MB/1GB). That's still nowhere near 60fps or whatever fps you deem playable. So yes, 19-29% faster is a nice boost, but then again, the price of a 768MB/1GB GTX 460 is 46-70% higher than a 5770, and some people will prefer the higher bang-for-the-buck that the 5770 delivers. OP is being smart and waiting a month or two to see what 6xxx cards bring to the table before committing to a card.

Go with the GTX 460. 400w is plenty of power for this card.

Your total system power consumption probably won't even hit 300W:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-the-200-king/17

The GTX 460 is going to offer a vastly superior gaming experience. The 5770 doesn't compete with the GTX 460, performance wise.

And for whoever said the 5770 can handle any game at 1920x1080, I think your definition of handle differs from mine. If you game at 30fps with all settings turned to medium, you might as well game on a console.

(All prices after MIR)
Galaxy 768MB for $170: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162058
Sparkle 768MB for $180: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187112
Palit 1GB for $199: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261075
Palit "Platinum OC Edition" 1GB for $210: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261076

I would go with the Galaxy 768mb card, if I were in your shoes.

lol? AMD's had tons of issues lately. They even have issues right now! One of my ATI loyalist friends just jumped ship to a GTX 480 because ATI has taken so long to fix their drivers.

GSODs and BSOD on flash video are the only errors that come to mind, but that's because I haven't experienced them myself..

What errors are you experiencing on NVIDIA? I haven't had driver issues on my GTX 260, 260 SLI, 280 SLI, 480, or 480 SLI rig. Outside of an issue of stuck AO settings where I had to uninstall and reinstall the driver and poor initial performance in BFBC2. Are you familiar with driver sweeper? That will kill any NVIDIA driver issues, since unlike ATI, the drivers themselves aren't broken. The settings on your computer are. (Or you're experiencing a hardware error)

Last edited:
OK, to start off, yes, I know the 460 is a couple steps ahead of the 5770 in terms of performance and pretty much everything else, including price. Anyway, my "gaming rig" if you want to call it that is in my sig. I also have a 500GB 7200.12 HD, 2 DVD drives, a NZXT Sentry 2, three 120mm, and a single 140mm fan. I have just come across another thread created recently that talks about the CX400 (my current PSU) and a 460 and people have said it should be sufficient to power a single 460. So with that settled (you can still add your two cents if you want), would it be wise to get a 460 with my current CPU? That is my main concern with the GTX460 versus the 5770. I want to game at 1920x1080. I don't have to have AA on all the time. I'm basically just concerned about how my Athlon II x3 will handle games with a 460 versus a 5770. I know that Athlon IIs generally lack in the gaming department but I was concerned if it would be wise to get a 460 over a 5770 with my current system.
My thanks goes out to anyone willing to help. :)

Here you go, Aaron11 thank me later. Just do it. Now :D

This solves all your problems and concerns

You have until 11:59p tonight

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...-_-EMC-090110-Index-_-combo-_-Combo493756-L0F <----- DEAL OF THE MONTH

Last edited:
I thought the deal of the month was the $145 GTX 460. Those OCZ power supplies go on sale a LOT for $40 or less after rebate. I bought one for $30 in December and sold it recently also for $30. No problems with it but replaced it with an Antec Neo Eco 520

I think OCZ power supplies are usually considered to be mid range quality. That and they go on sale so often, I wouldn't jump on that deal.

I thought the deal of the month was the $145 GTX 460. Those OCZ power supplies go on sale a LOT for $40 or less after rebate. I bought one for $30 in December and sold it recently also for $30. No problems with it but replaced it with an Antec Neo Eco 520

I think OCZ power supplies are usually considered to be mid range quality. That and they go on sale so often, I wouldn't jump on that deal.

Not sure if you did but if you read the thread from beginning to end the OP was looking for either a 5770 or 460 but was concerned with power. He was looking to get a 768mb 460 @ around $199. People began suggesting a psu, and then shoot down the idea saying it was too costly for both and no overclocking headroom with current psu, This was the best of both worlds, both the card and psu for that price ($179.99)and overclocking headroom for the OP.

FYI I'm not saying it was never on sale but I've personally never seen that PSU on sale for less than $50. Either way at $30 that still puts the 460 @$149.99 and he gets a more potent psu. I think it was his best choice FTW either way deals up and OP hesitated. :D

Last edited:

both were pretty awesome deals. Nvidia is going for market share here (I don't think they realized how much they lost. his psu is enough for the 460GTX but outside the sweet spot to be sure. I still think a 5770 would be fine for him and as it sounds it would be easier on his budget. and matches his PSU perfectly. (he has a corsair 400 watt psu, it would actually run a 5850 but I like more head room then that.) he was worried about his CPU bottlenecking but there is nothing wrong with a tri core at 3.4ghz for 98% of games.

5770 is a good card also. But I think it should have an everyday price of $130 or so and sale pricing of $100 or less by now. Of course, lack of competition from Nvidia gave AMD the opportunity to keep the original pricing on it.

Looks like AMD's 6XX0 series cards will be announced (maybe for sale, some) in October. I would wait for that unless 5770 started showing up real cheap, like $80.

5770 is a good card also. But I think it should have an everyday price of $130 or so and sale pricing of $100 or less by now. Of course, lack of competition from Nvidia gave AMD the opportunity to keep the original pricing on it.

Looks like AMD's 6XX0 series cards will be announced (maybe for sale, some) in October. I would wait for that unless 5770 started showing up real cheap, like $80.

Well, [H]otdeals had a 5770 for $113AR. The GTX460+decentPSU bundle was arguably the better deal, but both deals are now expired, so it's moot.

QFT^^ I agree. at $130 everyday it would be a stronger contender for people looking for best value in entry level, on sale at $100, possibly too good to pass up most of the time :D

If you've read my edit to the original post, what do you guys think? Is it a wise decision. I decided to resurrect this thread rather than creating a new one since it's virtually the same concept.

You missed out on the sales!

I bought that model for $115AR and it came with HAWX 2 which I sold for $18. There were a few $115AR deals on the 768MB 460 a few weeks back. That's why you should have a slickdeal account with keyword alerts set up.

I've heard some people say 768Mb versions of the 460 stutter in certain demanding titles @ 1920x with AA active. For people that game at 1920x without AA, or @ 1680x with AA, they are likely fine.

If I were buying a 460 for 1920x with moderate AA, I'd get the Asus DirectCU 1Gb for 165usd with rebate. I'd OC it with Afterburner and shoot for 850-900 on the core.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...391&cm_re=asus_gtx_460-_-14-121-391-_-Product

Performance you can expect from those clocks.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...d-6850-vs-gtx-460-1gb-overclocking-study.html

People could always try the 768Mb version and return it if dissatisfied though.

You missed out on the sales!

I bought that model for $115AR and it came with HAWX 2 which I sold for $18. There were a few $115AR deals on the 768MB 460 a few weeks back. That's why you should have a slickdeal account with keyword alerts set up.
I just set up deal alerts. Thanks for the advice. Too bad I didn't do it earlier.
I've heard some people say 768Mb versions of the 460 stutter in certain demanding titles @ 1920x with AA active. For people that game at 1920x without AA, or @ 1680x with AA, they are likely fine.

If I were buying a 460 for 1920x with moderate AA, I'd get the Asus DirectCU 1Gb for 165usd with rebate. I'd OC it with Afterburner and shoot for 850-900 on the core.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...391&cm_re=asus_gtx_460-_-14-121-391-_-Product

Performance you can expect from those clocks.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...d-6850-vs-gtx-460-1gb-overclocking-study.html

People could always try the 768Mb version and return it if dissatisfied though.
I'm not going to be doing much OCing tho with my PSU.

I'd get the 460 GTX hands down. The 1GB is good but costs quite a bit more than the 768mb version.

I recommend this. Probably the best GTX 460 non-reference design available. IIRC you live in CA like me, so it will run you $134 total after everything is said and done.

Yay! Run 3d mark 11 and let me know what you get. I got 2816P with the gtx 460, lol I think I am pretty much cpu limited. http://www.3dmark.com/3dmark11/download/

just for reference i scored a (P)3547 in 3dmark 11 on (P)erformance mode with one 460GTX in my system in my sig, yeah your cpu is holding it back some

gtx 460 sli = 40 - 44 fps average metro 2033. maxed out 1080p.
55 fps average crysis very high

I can only imagine 1 card would suck at this resolution.
Therefor get better psu, for 50 bucks you can pick up a 500w
Get a gtx 460 overclock it and equal a 5850 - 5970.

save money

I nabbed the Talon Attack MSI Hawk 460GTX for $215 just before xmas and the game I play most is Crysis. Specifically the MWLL mod for Wars also which are even more demanding than vanilla Crysis. I play at 1440x900 native res at all very high 4xAA and its the smoothest gameplay I've had. It also plays BFBC2 all very high 16xaa 16xaf brilliantly.

i just had both for a while, the 460 for some reason was always silent even wen OC and temp was pretty low, while the 5770 was a bit louder and kept rising in temps. I can see myself doing sli soon

Also, it's funny to suggest a 70% increase in price for a 29% increase in performance

It's not all about percentages though. Some people will have a minimum performance level they are willing to accept, so anything below that doesn't matter (even if it is great bang-for-buck). I mean you can probably find a HD3870 on ebay for very cheap, which might be amazing bang-for-buck, but if the games are barely playable, good bang-for-buck becomes meaningless.

Obviously that's an extreme example, but it's just to illustrate why someone might pay 70% for only 30% performance. If it was all percentages no one would ever buy the high-end cards.

It's not all about percentages though. Some people will have a minimum performance level they are willing to accept, so anything below that doesn't matter (even if it is great bang-for-buck). I mean you can probably find a HD3870 on ebay for very cheap, which might be amazing bang-for-buck, but if the games are barely playable, good bang-for-buck becomes meaningless.

Obviously that's an extreme example, but it's just to illustrate why someone might pay 70% for only 30% performance. If it was all percentages no one would ever buy the high-end cards.

exactly.....you cant even compare it that way

you see to me the ($215) 460GTX i got is 100% as fast as a reference GTX470 for $100 less at the time, which was an amazing value, bang for the buck

my goal was to get a single card to run very high settings in a few games on a 19" monitor at native res 1440x900

5870's and 6800's were out of my price range at the time, same as the 470GTX, all around the $275-$300 mark. i know, you say, its only $50 more for amazing FPS more performance!!! but what you have to do is budget your money, you set a target price, mine was $600 total delivered. Mobo, CPU, Ram, Video and HDD

i got it all for $570 shipped, a couple years ago or even less?.....that was the price for a high end video card or a CPU and mobo only....

Why I love [H]: This thread. I'm doing this comparision right now and decide to check [H] for advice. Boom, two clicks and I'm there. lol

I can get an EVGA 460 1GB for $149 after MIR, or an XFX 5770 for $130. This card is for my 2nd rig, which isn't in my sig. I'm running an E7200 2.53GHz and a 500W PSU.

My 2nd rig is mainly an office rig, but since I upgraded to a Samsung 27" LCD my old 3870 is showing it's age. I'm upgrading the card because me and my kid like to play MMO's hot seat. We quit WoW some time ago, so we'll be playing newer MMO's, like Rift.

Which card do you think is a better choice?

Thanks, all.

You can get an HIS HD5770 for $100 after MIR on newegg this weekend.

Yeah, I saw the HIS card. Unfortunately I care about who makes the card, due to bad experiences in the past. I'm looking at XFX, Asus, EVGA or Visiontek, since I've never any of their components die on me.

I just checked again, though, and an Asus 5770 after MIR is $119.

Hmm.

Back