Should I go 1440p?

Maddnotez

Limp Gawd
I had no idea where to put this so I will relate it to gaming. I want to know if my setup will run 1440p, if it is worth it and will it hinder my gaming performance.

I play Pub G. That is it lol. Sometimes Insurgency:Sandstorm but the point is I ONLY play FPS games. I heard 1080p is still the way to go due to higher frames and faster response times. I would like to keep whatever "edge" I am able to get in these games but I am still interested in 1440p. Nothing wrong with my 1080p but hey why not?

RX 5700 XT
Ryzen 5 3600
B450 Tomahawk
16GB TridentZ 3000

Is this setup capable of running 1440p?
I would get a freesync monitor so does that mean I wouldn't need 144 frames to match a 144hz monitor?
Will doing this cost me any edge or response time in Shooter games?

If you do not already have a freesync monitor, that is here I would spend my money.

I run a 1440P freesync monitor with a 2080Super (yes you can run it in g sync mode) and its great with FPS. You'd benefit more from the sync than increased resolution in your case.

I had no idea where to put this so I will relate it to gaming. I want to know if my setup will run 1440p, if it is worth it and will it hinder my gaming performance.

I play Pub G. That is it lol. Sometimes Insurgency:Sandstorm but the point is I ONLY play FPS games. I heard 1080p is still the way to go due to higher frames and faster response times. I would like to keep whatever "edge" I am able to get in these games but I am still interested in 1440p. Nothing wrong with my 1080p but hey why not?

RX 5700 XT
Ryzen 5 3600
B450 Tomahawk
16GB TridentZ 3000

Is this setup capable of running 1440p?
I would get a freesync monitor so does that mean I wouldn't need 144 frames to match a 144hz monitor?
Will doing this cost me any edge or response time in Shooter games?

If you're doing long range battle in games like that I find 1440p has a pretty significant benefit over 1080p. 1080p just doesn't have enough resolution to make out the details in long range fights.

If you get a good freesync monitor you wouldn't need a constant 144 fps and it would help a lot.

If you're doing long range battle in games like that I find 1440p has a pretty significant benefit over 1080p. 1080p just doesn't have enough resolution to make out the details in long range fights.

If you get a good freesync monitor you wouldn't need a constant 144 fps and it would help a lot.

That makes sense and sounds great.

On the flip side, what about short range, close encounters? Would the 1440p slow me down regarding response time.

That makes sense and sounds great.

On the flip side, what about short range, close encounters? Would the 1440p slow me down regarding response time.

If you're getting significantly less FPS then yes, but if you're getting a decent framerate it's not going to be much of a difference with a good freesync display.

If you're getting significantly less FPS then yes, but if you're getting a decent framerate it's not going to be much of a difference with a good freesync display.
I hears it is a 30%-40% difference in frames between 1080p and 1440p if using the same system.

if true and even even 30% that scares me. On Ultra I get 100-140+ on Pub G (that game is all over the place)

So I would get roughly 70-100 FPS at 1440p IF this is even accurate hearsay.

I suppose I could turn down some settings or whatever.

Last edited:
I hears it is a 30%-40% difference in frames between 1080p and 1440p if using the same system.

if true and even even 30% that scares me. On Ultra I get 100-140+ on Pub G (that game is all over the place)

So I would get roughly 70-100 FPS at 1440p IF this is even accurate hearsay.

I suppose I could turn down some settings or whatever.

If you can keep the FPS above 100 IMO the extra resolution is worth it for those games.

Went from 1080P to 1440P back to 1080P with 24 27 inch forms. I just got that hot Samsung VA panel CRG5 and thought it looked really immersive with some games plus its curved. It all depends on the game your playing some stuff looks better on 2k or 4k other stuff looks better on a IPS or VA even if its 1080P

I think the eye strain is less on lower Rez monitors just my experience. More pixels just means more light hitting you from all sides. Even if the image looks better.

strain could simply be from trying to read smaller fonts and higher contrast and brightness compared to older screens. bigger fonts and less contrast/brightness typically helps eye strain... ime

If frame rate is the most important, stick to 1080p, but if you want some extra VERY noticable clarity, 1440p is great upgrade.

The difference in visual quality is night and day even on low settings. Much better textures, easier to see at further distances, etc..

The frame rate difference isn't all that dramatic. Typically, you don't want your settings on VERY HIGH/ULTRA in PUBG any ways, as you avoid clutter and can see better through environments. So why not?

The 5700 xt should easily hit 120+ frames @ 1440p.

You don't say what Hz your current 1080p monitor is, but I'll assume 144 Hz or so if you're playing at those frame rates unless you like tearing in your games.

IMO unless you're an eSports player or absolutely live on these games and play highly competitively, I would definitely take the resolution and IQ boost over the 140+ Hz performance, esp. considering the 5700 XT is made for 1440p and I'll bet you'll still average over 100 FPS in PUBG on it at 1440p anyways at least on medium to high settings. I always assumed more serious players turned down all the IQ anyways for absolutely best performance and worst case you can still run it at 1080p on the 1440p monitor without any real lose in IQ while still having the benefit of Freesync and more screen real estate on the desktop and for other games if need be. There's really no downside to upgrading, as you're not really forced to run the native resolution either way, esp, if the game supports any kind of DSR or if you run a DSR utility to upscale a 1080p internal res if you don't want to run straight 1080p for whatever reason as well.

1440p especially if it means going up from 24 in to 27 in display is an advantage in FPS. Sharper image, physically bigger screen and some kind of adaptive refresh technology all combine to make it way easier to see/hit opponents. I don't play PUBG so can't help with performance, but I find Apex is a lot easier for me on my 27" 1440p with Gsync on than my old 1920x1200 24 in display. Especially seeing targets in the distance moving.

I'm going to say it is worth it. I use an RTX 2070 which seems to trade blows with the RX 5700 XT. For most games it will run 2560x1440 fine. Most multiplayer games tend to run at higher frame rates, and I tend to get 80-120 or so frame rates in most that I play. PUBG may be worse due to bad optimization, but I assume it should run well enough.

Using a Ryzen 3700X as well, so similar CPU.

24 inch monitor 1ms delay and 240hz and turning off gsync/freesync/adaptive sync is the best high end configuration you are going to get for competitive FPS. If what you care about is performance and you play competitively that is what you want and everything else is worse by a good bit.*

1440p 144/165hz looks nicer but isn't as good and nobody competitive or really good touches is it. And if you are going to drop your performance there and plunk down the extra moving to an IPS or VA panel for better colors or blacks makes sense as you've already thrown performance out the window. However 1440p IPS looks a LOT better than a super fast monitor, and if you aren't all that good to start with, don't care about competition, do things other than game, or play a lot of single player games it's fine.

* there are 240hz .5ms and 360hz monitors out there as well, but they are rare edge cases

I like 1440. It is for me, the sweet spot of resolution vs performance.

And outside of purely competitive fps, Gsync/freesync is fantastic.

1440p is fine if all you do is play PC games and watch youtube. It's a terrible idea if you also use your monitor for consoles and movies. Kind of sucks to be me and have the choice of either "low res" 1080p or "not quite ready for prime time" 4k

1440p is fine if all you do is play PC games and watch youtube. It's a terrible idea if you also use your monitor for consoles and movies. Kind of sucks to be me and have the choice of either "low res" 1080p or "not quite ready for prime time" 4k

Never noticed anything wrong with movies personally. Maybe if you sit a 1080 and 1440 monitor side by side you can see a difference? With any high bit rate video of good quality I don't see any abnormally high blurriness or pixelation.

Consoles are a mixed bag, but with the Xbox One supporting 1440 I assume the PS5/Xbox X Series X will fully support it out of the box. I do use a Switch and yes, that is a bit blurry. But the games on the Switch tend to have cell shaded cartoon style graphics and are low resolution in every other aspect down to texture quality anyways, so I don't mind it for that console much.

Damn, I knew I shouldn't have bought that 65" 4K TV for movies and consoles. I could have been using my old 24" 1080p monitor this whole time.

I get what your saying, but, I used my xbox one x on my 1440p monitor for a couple months. Didn't have a problem with games or movies, probably due to decent upscaling.

It's not just 4k it's also HDR, and consoles are already going to 8k.

I think it's a bad idea at this point. I'd rather get a proper 27-32 inch 4k monitor and scale down 1080 when performance is an issue.

Damn, I knew I shouldn't have bought that 65" 4K TV for movies and consoles. I could have been using my old 24" 1080p monitor this whole time.

I get what your saying, but, I used my xbox one x on my 1440p monitor for a couple months. Didn't have a problem with games or movies, probably due to decent upscaling.

You completely misinterpreted my post if you think I said 4k is bad for consoles and movies. That's literally the opposite of what I said. Consoles can get away with upscaling to 4k because they look like garbage anyway. If you're doing 4k on PC you're either playing at lowish frame rates or sacrificing image quality even with the best video card which is why I'm staying with 1080p for now and what I mean when I say 4k isn't ready for prime time.

Try sitting that 1440p monitor next to a 1080p monitor with both running the same console game and you will notice a difference. Upscaling is never as good as native resolution.

It's not just 4k it's also HDR, and consoles are already going to 8k.

Consoles are upscaling to 8k. Just like they are for 4k. Not sure what your point is here. 4k upscaled is ok on a console but it's not true 4k.

I just upgraded from 1080p60Hz to 1440 144hz (freesync) and it's very nice. I'm running on a GTX 1080, newer games I just set the resolution scaling to around 80% and it still looks better than 1080p while mainting a solid 120-150fps in games like modern warfare and destiny 2.

Even if your not to interested in 144hz I'd still grab one with freesync, that way even if your happy level is 60fps minimum anything you get over that is a bonus but without having random fps/hz affect your gameplay thanks to freesync

Back