Should I get the 1080 now, or wait for a possible 1080ti? Also tempted by the new Titan...

tchalikias

Weaksauce
I always buy my gfx cards with payment plans, since I keep them for a minimum of 2 years and because its easier for my wallet. It helps that the warranty is almost always 2-3 years. My last upgrade was a 780Ti which has held up nicely.

However, I plan on upgrading to a 4k monitor sometime in the near future. Also, I have a second PC that is currently without a graphics card.

So. I'm thinking of getting the 1080 and using the 780ti for my second rig.

Cheapest 1080 here in Greece is 869 euros. (There are a couple of sub 800 euro cards, however the stores importing them don't support interest free payment plans. That's 971USD (!).

The upcoming Titan will have a retail price of 1200USD. By my estimation, it will cost around 1300-1400 euros over here.

Question is... Should I wait for a possible 1080ti announcement? Should I wait for the new Titan X (once you approach 1000 euros, suddenly 300 more don't sound so terrible :( ). Or should I go ahead and order a founder's edition 1080?

Note: I want a blower style cooler, since its going in a mini-ITX build.

What should I do, HF?

If you are hurting for cash and you are not desperate for performance, I would wait a bit. Their prices are inflated right now due to high demand+supply problems and that FE nonsense which really hurted us consumers in the end. And of course combined with the lack of competition from AMD side. The prices are steadily dropping though, and when AMD releases Vega at the end of this year (we think) we hopefully have some competition too, which should drop the prices even further.

buy the highest-end card you can afford right NOW, never play the "wait game" or you will be stuck in there forever.. just buy whatever the best you can afford now, because all the time you will be waiting for a new card is a time you will be wasting to enjoy the games.

it will be some day a 1080Ti? Possible but at this point nobody is sure how it will perform and how much is going to cost.. in the best case scenario it will perform nearly the same or the same as new Titan X Pascal at lower price but the price premium you gona be paying now for a Titan X Pascal just mean more time to game, this kind of halo cards the early you buy the longer value it have as you pay to have top performance earlier than every other card in the market..

I agree. Buy Titan P immediately to get the most value, if you wait to buy it and the 1080Ti hits, then it will feel like a waste.
If you can wait until October, maybe we will see something more affordable form both companies.

Pick a 1070, 1080, or TITAN P - based on what you can afford now. Unsurprisingly, 1440p performance improves as you go up the scale. :)

Ti may not come. NVIDIA has thrown us all for a loop with the TITAN P announcement so soon. Future is more uncertain than ever...for all we know there could be another TITAN (a la TITAN Black), too.

If you keep for two years, I'd recommend a 1080 at minimum.

I guess you could find a no interest for 12 month financing for Titan and pay like 100 a month for a year.

Otherwise financing that seems silly.

If you can wait till November then wait.
If you want to game till November then go buy a 1080. Fastest one you can find.

1080 has taken everything I have thrown at it at 1440p @ 144hz and 4k @ 60hz. I think it performs exceptional for 4k 60hz.

1080 has taken everything I have thrown at it at 1440p @ 144hz and 4k @ 60hz. I think it performs exceptional for 4k 60hz.
Then you sure as hell are not playing demanding games maxed out. Some of you give the 1080 a delusional amount of credit and forget that it is only about 15% overall than the 980 ti when both are oced. Even a 1080 Ti is not going to give you 60 fps in every game at 4k on max.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
I'm pegging 164fps on my rog swift 27" g-sync monitor using 1080 sli of course ;) for doom,Titan fall and battlefield 4 all maxed out and delicious looking.. even tweaked the control panel to allow me to use 4k res in games and it's still damn speedy!

I'm pegging 164fps on my rog swift 27" g-sync monitor using 1080 sli of course ;) for doom,Titan fall and battlefield 4 all maxed out and delicious looking.. even tweaked the control panel to allow me to use 4k res in games and it's still damn speedy!
SLI does not even work in DOOM so no you are most certainly not maintaining 164 fps in that game at 1440. Plus there are spots in DOOM that drop below 100 fps in no matter how much gpu power than you have.

for 4k for games like just cause 3, fallout 4, rise of the tomb raider, metros, you WILL want the fastest possible. at 3440x1440 which is 5MP (4k is 8MP) I can play these ranging from 30-70fps depending on title with absolutely everything maxxed out w/ 1080 + 5930k.

if you don't care about getting those games (and future releases) running at those settings at high framerates a 1080 will be decent for 4k i imagine. If you do however, go for as much GPU as you can.

some older games, or non intensive games only peg the GPU usage in the single digits (most mobas, Torchlight 2, Hearthstone).

depends on what you play and how turned up settings you want to play it.

Then you sure as hell are not playing demanding games maxed out. Some of you give the 1080 a delusional amount of credit and forget that it is only about 15% overall than the 980 ti when both are oced. Even a 1080 Ti is not going to give you 60 fps in every game at 4k on max.

I don't really care about maxing out. If I can get mostly high settings without too much compromise then I am good. No need for AA really because of the resolution and most "maxed out" settings have diminishing returns since much of the time they only subjectively look better. They should just call it an Epeen setting rather than maxed out.

SLI does not even work in DOOM so no you are most certainly not maintaining 164 fps in that game at 1440. Plus there are spots in DOOM that drop below 100 fps in no matter how much gpu power than you have.

Past the Argent Tower, Doom was pretty much 90% of the time pegged to 165 fps for me with my setup as well. Since even outdoor areas are actually indoor arena types.

Past the Argent Tower, Doom was pretty much 90% of the time pegged to 165 fps for me with my setup as well. Since even outdoor areas are actually indoor arena types.

Yes i'm aware of that fact but here I was just playing online multiplayer and it was pegging my max fresh rate of 164.. I'm like, damn its not SLI? who knows, but its all maxed out and the max res I can select is 1440..

Also just tried some Witcher 3 and I was getting 65-72 fps all maxed at 1440.. if I choosed 4k the screen was oversized. I should carry the pc 2 flights upstairs and try it out on the sony 940c 4k 75" UHDTV I have.. though never tried to before.. no idea if it is as easy to just plug it into the HDMI and go or what.

Let me know when you are on the later levels in the game. Also the 81 is for a specific level. I don't remember the name right now.
I am way past the Argent tower level and you are out of your mind saying you get 165 fps most of the time at 1440. I dont see performance any where near that and every single review and video will back me up. Either you have SLI working or you really have lost your mind making such a ridiculous claim.

shitting up a thread for a shitty argument, boo.
Well I dont know why people make such ridiculous claims in the first place.

I fired up the game and did some benchmarks in two different areas that included walking around mixed with some action.

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
27917, 243984, 75, 151, 114.421

In that whole area I never hit 165 fps a single time much less maintained it like he is claiming to do with an even slower card.

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
41564, 329234, 84, 184, 126.245

In that area it was all inside environments so framerate was higher but not even remotely close to maintaining 165 fps.

Whoah, that escalated quickly!

Doom benchmarks aside, the 1080 looks to be the "smart" choice here, while the Titan is the "over the top but its a TITAN!!!111“ one. Aaargh.

I guess I'll just wait patiently to see Titan prices over here. Who knows, maybe the Titan will push 1080 prices a little lower.

I hate waiting for new hardware - I'm also waiting for the new LG ultrawide panels to come to the market before I snag a new monitor.

You could almost buy 2 1080's which would definitely be a better buy especially for 4K gaming than single Titan XP in my opinion. I honestly don't think we will see the 1080 Ti till AMD starts stealing sales from NVIDIA which right now they aren't doing in any shape or form. The 1080's are selling like hotcakes and they will milk that for as long as possible. If they launched the 1080 Ti it would have to be priced around the $800 mark. Also It would probably have the same around as memory as the Titan XP according to PC Per.

It just makes sense for them to wait till AMD has something that steals the performance crown from the 1080 or at least has a really good price/performance ratio.

I had a similar dilemma and pulled the trigger on an EVGA GTX 1080 today. I'm upgrading from a GTX 980, and want the ~60% better performance so that I can use superscaling with my HTC Vive. I'm sticking with 1080p120Hz until good IPS 1440p/144Hz monitors and 4K monitors drop in price a bit more.

Since the Titan XP is a gimped GP102, and the GTX 1080 is a full GP104... it is hard to know where the GTX 1080Ti will slot in the lineup, if there is even going to be one.
It's looking like it probably won't slot in-between the 1080 and Titan XP, but might be like the 780Ti was, which was better than both the 780 and the original Titan. Volta consumer cards will likely not be released until late 2017 at the earliest, so Nvidia might hold onto a full-die GP102 GTX 1080Ti release for March or April next year. I don't want to wait that long.

If Nvidia do decide to surprise us with a 1080Ti release sooner, I'll just use the EVGA step-up program and grab it. If it falls just outside that 90 day period, then I might sell the 1080 and get the Ti if it is a justifiable purchase. That was the reasoning I came up with this week for an upgrade.

Last edited:
Back