Should I get Playstation VR or Oculus Rift?

I got Rift today and connected it and this thing is slowly testing my patience.
First, SteamVR is giving me Compositor is not available (400) error. I think it's because I have SLI and have turned it off to connect Rift to the second card (980Ti only have single HDMI and it's connected to my TV).
Then I downloaded 2gb of Google Earth VR on my slow ass connection and was so happy that I'm going to try it but it crashes 1 second into loading after I start it.
Annoyed.

First, SteamVR is giving me Compositor is not available (400) error. I think it's because I have SLI and have turned it off to connect Rift to the second card (980Ti only have single HDMI and it's connected to my TV).
Then I downloaded 2gb of Google Earth VR on my slow ass connection and was so happy that I'm going to try it but it crashes 1 second into loading after I start it.
Annoyed.

SteamVR is buggy garbage compared to Oculus Home. I've have the same issues with it you are. Try downloading/running stuff in Home - it just works*.

*I hate using that phrase, but it fits here.

You need to be aware that you cannot remove anything from Oculus home, it is simply not an implemented function.
And the ability to sort programs/utils etc is almost none existent.
Because of this I have stopped downloading demos to Oculus home and buy my VR stuff from Steam now.
Moronic.

I missed the part where it says Google Earth is requiring Oculus Touch. I should get that tomorrow or something. Maybe that's why it's crashing.
I will also connect the headset to my primary GPU and see if that solves the SteamVR issues. If not, oh well, expensive toy. I did play Lucky's Tale and it was fun, even though I don't really like platformers.

Annoyed.

Ive had my rift for about a month and have evga classified 1080 sli. I have never disconnected sli to get it to work.

Also ive not had a problem getting oculus or steamvr to work.

Well setting up the space in steamvr sucked as my space is in the other room from the pc.. i had to put a peice of tape over the sensor on the headset to keep it active or it would say the headset was missing durring room setup.

Also i have a 4k monitor that also needs hdmi. So i have the oculus using the main card hdmi and have a 4k display port to hdmi adapter on the main card to the 4k monitor with 0 issues.. 60hz 4:4:4 8bit.

This is the one i ordered off amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B6ZOMIS/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used goggle earth also without issue and have the touch controllers.

Also heres the other stuff i use to extend the sensors and hmd.

Important to have enough usb 3.0 ports!! Dont want too many sensors on the same motherboard built in usb controllers.. this makes it easy. I have 3 sensors runing off this without problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Make sure to download the usb drivers from the manufacter.. its a little tricky and i may update this with a direct link to it later if i remember.

Usb 3.0 active extensions.. 16.4 feet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/your-acco...2732258&returnSummaryId=&shipmentId=DL8sKWshN

Vive link box.. powered repeater to extend the hmd. No hassel solution as many could not extend it and its a hit or mis over 6 feet.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LXR6DKV/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Youll need a power supply for that as they dont sell on with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B018JL0YIY/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Youll need a male to male hdmi cable and usb 3.0 cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00YNI7G8O/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HSS9LEI/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I got SteamVR working. It was indeed because I connected the headset to the second card. I played Subnautica for about 10 minutes or so and got motion sickness. Wow. I never get sickness, not from planes, not from being in a speedboat/boat, not from bus drives, even when I stuff myself with food. But I do when I play in VR. Oh well :D
I did not feel sick while playing Lucky's Tale, so maybe I got low fps on my 980Ti (I did max out Subnautica).

I got SteamVR working. It was indeed because I connected the headset to the second card. I played Subnautica for about 10 minutes or so and got motion sickness. Wow. I never get sickness, not from planes, not from being in a speedboat/boat, not from bus drives, even when I stuff myself with food. But I do when I play in VR. Oh well :D
I did not feel sick while playing Lucky's Tale, so maybe I got low fps on my 980Ti (I did max out Subnautica).

Yes people say it takes awhile to get used to motion sickness. I guess its like getting use to being on a boat. Some experiance while some dont.

Try playing shorter spirts like 10 mins at a time or so for while.

All depends on the game and how they use movement. Teleporting ia a way around it.

So you guys think I will get used to it and not get sick?
I'm thinking about buying a 1080Ti. It won't cost me that much if I sell my two 980Ti.

So you guys think I will get used to it and not get sick?
I'm thinking about buying a 1080Ti. It won't cost me that much if I sell my two 980Ti.

Some people say they can get used to it but I have not in the 11 months of having VR. If you are dropping below 90fps you definitely should back down settings. Also I think subnautica is notorious for making people sick. I haven't played that game but many games have "comfort options" you can fiddle with to see what works for you.

980ti is good enough for current VR so I wouldn't upgrade unless you're looking to ditch SLI in general

Some people say they can get used to it but I have not in the 11 months of having VR. If you are dropping below 90fps you definitely should back down settings. Also I think subnautica is notorious for making people sick. I haven't played that game but many games have "comfort options" you can fiddle with to see what works for you.

980ti is good enough for current VR so I wouldn't upgrade unless you're looking to ditch SLI in general

Cheers.
I'm looking to ditch SLI in general. Also 1080Ti should be able to give me more fps in more demanding games in VR. And I would also be able to bump up the settings.
And it should be even easier to sell once Volta lands.

Cheers.
I'm looking to ditch SLI in general. Also 1080Ti should be able to give me more fps in more demanding games in VR. And I would also be able to bump up the settings.
And it should be even easier to sell once Volta lands.

A 1080ti will let you do more supersampling, which is essential to get the best IQ in VR. I run pretty much everything at 1.6x on my Pascal Titan X and it makes a pretty big difference.

A 1080ti will let you do more supersampling, which is essential to get the best IQ in VR. I run pretty much everything at 1.6x on my Pascal Titan X and it makes a pretty big difference.

How do you get higher supersampling? I couldn't go higher than 1 in Subnautica. Is it depending on the game or are there any tweaks outside of games?

How do you get higher supersampling? I couldn't go higher than 1 in Subnautica. Is it depending on the game or are there any tweaks outside of games?

For SteamVR you can download "OpenVR Advanced Settings" and it adds a menu to the steamvr overlay where you can tweak a bunch of steamvr settings including SS.

I think Valve also recently added an SS option in the steamvr settings somewhere but I haven't used that.

Some games don't obey the steamvr ss setting and have their own, usually UE4 games. I dunno how subnautica in particular handles it. I also don't know how it works for games using the oculus runtime, but I assume there's a setting you can tweak somewhere.

Back