Should I get an Amazon Fire HD 8?

So years ago I bought the Amazon kindle, and while it was a quality tablet for the most part it had one flaw that I really disliked: It was essentially an Andriod Tablet without access or full access to the Google Play store.

I'm on the market for a tablet to do a little productivity on but it is mostly going to be used for entertainment purposes and I want a tablet that has access to all of Google Play instead of a limited set of apps that Amazon approves of.

So my question is: Are the new Amazon tablets still restricted? And if so what options do I have in terms of an Android tablet that is sub $100 with good HD quality.

Still restricted, and still pretty crappy - fine if all you want to do is read books and watch movies, but not fit for anything else. You get what you pay for.

My wife got one for me for Christmas, and I tried really hard to like it. I didn't like it as well as the e-ink Kindled for reading books, it seemed to eat battery while in standby, and while it was great for watching Prime and Netflix, I very rarely did because we have a TV in the bedroom that does that even better than the tablet does.

The web browser sucked and there wasn't much available to replace it with. The UI is extremely laggy and slow. The Amazon App store is confusing - somethings are FIre, some things are just Android, and not everything works.

I ended up breaking down and getting another iPad, and don't regret it a bit - vastly better tablet. Not what you are asking for, I know, but just telling you my experience with the recent Fire HDs.

Well you pretty much confirmed what I suspected.

I don't want an iPad though, I'd rather have an android.

Back