should i get a soundcard? why? and which one?

WillowHawk

Gawd
i like listening to music alot, but i hate to share my music...thus the headphones and not the 5.1 speaker system...not to mention there a 4 computers in the room and 3 users at any time...i hate speakers as they annoy the crap out of me..i dont want to listen to my bro's movies or halo sound effects when i'm doing research...

so, i wanna know if i'll get a better quality using a soundcard with headphones than using the mobo onboard ones..is it worth the money? would i be able to tell the difference?....
what are the pros and cons about using a card...i fiddle around with the piano a bit, so recording my own stuff would be ....interesting...but need some first hand info

The general consensus is that the Chaintech AV-710 offers excellent bang/buck for two channel. I do not have first-hand info on it, but Mister X knows a bit about listing to headphones and I would invite his opinions as well.

Yea, you'll notice a night and day difference, probably even with cheap headphones but especially with decent headphones.

Check through the forums here a bit, there has been quite a bit of discussion about sound cards, and alternatives to the Creative cards that you should probly be looking into, especially if your only planning to use 2 channels. The Chaintech (which the poster above mentioned) has been mentioned as well as some others I believe.

Basically if you listen to music on your system and want better quality, get a sound card. The difference will be night and day in my experience.

alrighty thanks guys...but because i'm sooooo fuckin lazy,...any cards that you guys really like?

The little bit you threw in about recording rules out the AV-710.
It is an excellent budget two channel computer as a source card but for recording..... it sucks
I would be inclined to suggest the EMU 0404.
Do you have a price range for this card?

BTW your description above indicates that closed cans may suit your needs better and you may wish to add that requirement to your other thread.
Such is the caveat of posting multiple threads about the same thing. :rolleyes:

i dont have a clue waht "closed cans" mean...headphones maybe? (kinda now just getting into the whole forum thing) but price range...not that ive researched it, but around 40-130 bucks for a card, and (in my other posts if u've looked) 40 and under for the headphones...

reason for the 2 threads is that i wanted to address them seperately...i might just get the headphones alone, or i could just get the card alone...i might get them together as an allround sound upgrade..wasnt too certain, so i wanted a seperate opinion on each

reason for the 2 threads is that i wanted to address them seperately...i might just get the headphones alone, or i could just get the card alone...i might get them together as an allround sound upgrade..wasnt too certain, so i wanted a seperate opinion on each

Fair enough.... but you see how they are overlapping?

i dont have a clue waht "closed cans" mean...headphones maybe?

Sorry I forget there are n00bs out there sometimes.
The actual term is Sealed Headphones.
The whole idea behind sealed headphones is they isolate you from environmental noises (like your bro's gaming soundtrack) and they also isolate the surrounding environment from the sound the headphones are delivering (that way he can't bitch at you about hearing the music).
Follow?

i getcha, i'm really new to the whole computer sound world...always interested in learning new terms

Back