Should I get a 670 or 680

Drazn

n00b
Hi, Guys I have a 580 Fermi that is only about 6 months old. I was wondering in your opinion if i would see a huge difference by stepping up to a 670 or 680? I run 1920 x 1200 with 1 monitor. I have no inclination to step up to a multiple monitor setup.

In my opinion its not worth it.

Sure, the 670/680 is faster than the 580, but lets be honest, what games have you played that the 580 can't do maxed out at 1200p? I'm running 1080p myself and have no problems with any games I've played.

So again, they are faster, but the 580 is more than capable today. I'm waiting for next-gen stuff since I can comfortably skip this generation.

Agreed. No need to upgrade at this time. If you upgrade to 670/680, you might notice a 5% improvement over your 580, but really not worth the extra money at this time, especially if you don't plan on a multi-monitor setup.

5% >????
actually gtx 670 is 30-35% faster then gtx 580 ... and try to maxout BF3 with gtx 580 ... you will get dips below 30 fps on mulitipalyer ....

This is the card to get... don't listen to anyone else... just pull the trigger, and here's why:
http://hardocp.com/article/2012/06/04/galaxy_geforce_gtx_670_gc_video_card_review/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162109
http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-GeForc...qid=1341002025&sr=8-2&keywords=galaxy+gtx+670

5%? LOL. The 670 is so much faster than any 5xx series card. Period. Much more power efficient.

The only thing that might come close to the Galaxy in value is the Asus DCII, but I've heard issues with the Asus...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I think it depends on how much you can get for your GTX580

The 670 is faster, more power efficient and good overclocker. That alone makes it a nice upgrade.

If you can sell your 580 for like 300 then its a no brainer.

5% >????
actually gtx 670 is 30-35% faster then gtx 580 ... and try to maxout BF3 with gtx 580 ... you will get dips below 30 fps on mulitipalyer ....

I'm running BF3 @ 1080p max settings with 4xAA and I've never seen anything below 30fps...hell, I don't think I've ever seen under 40fps.

Of course my card is overclocked to 950mhz but still the point being that the GTX 580 is no slouch by any means.

Yes the GTX 670 is faster, but do you really NEED that speed? I mean, I'm always one to upgrade to the latest tech, but with the GTX 580 I see no reason too. That and I paid $200 for it.

I am waiting for the next generation cards.

JoeUser

try gulf of oman with 64 players and you will see what i mean ...

and it's not about me ... i have gtx 480 myself and will not upgrade before 700 series to on my i7 950 .... but there is no 5% difference .. there is a lot more ...

I havent had any slow down in any of my games I play, I just wondered if it would be a significant increase in performance. Enough to justify the price of a new card.

Coming from a 900Mhz 480 and jumped on the 670 wagon. Worth it for the fact my room is cooler now, plus get a speed bump lol. I don't like the way these cards OC now, not fun anymore, but shit, it's fast.

brandon888 is right about Gulf of Oman though, you need SLI to keep the fps above 60 barely. Have a buddy of mine that runs dual 670's and even he dips below 60 when shit starts going down on that map sometimes.

To keep the framerate high on sharqi and gulf of oman I usually turn off AA and leave on post processing and motion blur. I also lock the frame rate at 58 (vsync) when playing casual, and locked at 60 (w/o vsync) when playing competitive to keep my ass cool. Hot room + gaming = hell no.

Overall so far, I like the card and probably will keep her for a long time... assuming it doesn't fail on me.

Btw, load w/ 480 was ~540w in BF3, now it hovers at ~400 - ~420w.

Coming from a 900Mhz 480 and jumped on the 670 wagon. Worth it for the fact my room is cooler now, plus get a speed bump lol. I don't like the way these cards OC now, not fun anymore, but shit, it's fast.

brandon888 is right about Gulf of Oman though, you need SLI to keep the fps above 60 barely. Have a buddy of mine that runs dual 670's and even he dips below 60 when shit starts going down on that map sometimes.

To keep the framerate high on sharqi and gulf of oman I usually turn off AA and leave on post processing and motion blur. I also lock the frame rate at 58 (vsync) when playing casual, and locked at 60 (w/o vsync) when playing competitive to keep my ass cool. Hot room + gaming = hell no.

Overall so far, I like the card and probably will keep her for a long time... assuming it doesn't fail on me.

Btw, load w/ 480 was ~540w in BF3, now it hovers at ~400 - ~420w.

i love the way they overclock its like a free 200mhz speed boost and i dont have to fuck with the voltage

by the way i upgraded from a 570... @ 1200p it makes the biggest difference in BF3 with that vram and insane speeds.

overall the biggest plus for me was the fluidity of game play i experienced from the upgrade.

@ such a high price 100 dollars more for a 680 just doesnt seem like that big of a deal.. the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is i bought mine at frys and fuck they dont have anything in stock

guys i have a question .... because of 256 bit interface and allmust same Memory bandwidth as gtx 580 ... it wont be problem to get Memory bandwidth bottleneck in future games ?

all speces are impressive .... cuda cores , core clock , 2 or 4 gb vram ... texture filtering but Memory bandwidth ? it seems weak ... or am i wrong ?

The 670 is a great card and a pretty big improvement.

Although this card is not perfect since it comes with only 2gb of ram and 256 bit interface.

If you upgrade every year, than sure. Do it.

However, if you are a 2-3 year upgrader, I would wait for the 700. Should be a complete package.

I havent had any slow down in any of my games I play, I just wondered if it would be a significant increase in performance. Enough to justify the price of a new card.

If your games are playing fine I don't see any reason to upgrade. The GTX 580 is an amazing card and will definitely hold up good till the GTX 780 launches. Now that is going to be a huge upgrade. You can expectly GTX 580 SLI performance with a single GTX 780. If a GTX 680 with 1536 CUDA cores, 32 ROP and 256 bit memory can give you 30% avg more perf than GTX 580, imagine what a GTX 780 with 2880 CUDA cores, 48 ROP and 384 bit memory can do. Hold on for 6 months and get the GTX 780 early next year.

raghu78

780 will have such specifications ? :D where did you got that ? sounds really impessive .... im now on my gtx 480 and will upgrade to that beast :D

Wow really? 1080p? Skip this gen, I wouldn't upgrade. If I ran 1080p i'd be happy with a 470, much less a 580. What a waste.

i think 770 will be enough for me to ^^ it will be faster then gtx 680 and with better memory interface and 3 gb vram i hope :DD

xoleras

same here .... i will keep my 480 before 700 series ^^

p.s i got that card for 200$ :D

I'd probably just wait till the next generation unless you can sell your 580 for ~$300. The 680 isn't a huge upgrade over the 670 but they're definitely both more efficient than a 580.

I guess the real question is how much are you trying to spend? If money is not a issue than I would upgrade to the 680. It will run anything on a single monitor you would ever throw at it, and it will be much more energy efficient and keep your case temps down. If you are thinking on a budget than skip and live with what you have. Never good to live outside of your means for a few FPS.

Back