Should I get a 2709W or 2408wfp?

Mysteriouskk

Weaksauce
I mostly just do movies and internet, and sometimes gaming. Which would be better for me. Has anyone tried both?

Both LCDs have the same resolution (1920x1200) and lots of inputs. If you can afford the extra $$, go with the 2709... or the 2707 if the price is better.

I'm hearing about input lag on the 2709w. Is it better for me just to get the 2408wfp to avoid the problem?

I'm hearing about input lag on the 2709w. Is it better for me just to get the 2408wfp to avoid the problem?

Lag is similar on each. If anything the 2709, might have a little less lag. So that probably won't be the deciding factor.

2408wfp has equally bad input lag from everything I hear. :(

I was looking at both monitors, and ended up with the 3007wfp to avoid the issue :-/

What kinds of games do you play? If they're anything but FPS, then input lag may not be much of an issue for you. BTW, my 2407WFP is reputed to have high input lag, but I've never noticed it even while playing COD4, HL2, or any game. I'm not claiming there's no lag, I'm just stating that I've never noticed it... and I'm very happy to wallow in my ignorance. ;)

Actually, the 2407WFP is reputed to be one of the least laggy Samsung S-PVA based monitors out there.

input_lag.jpg

It's the 2407WFP-HC which gets higher and the 2408WFP even worse.

What kinds of games do you play? If they're anything but FPS, then input lag may not be much of an issue for you. BTW, my 2407WFP is reputed to have high input lag, but I've never noticed it even while playing COD4, HL2, or any game. I'm not claiming there's no lag, I'm just stating that I've never noticed it... and I'm very happy to wallow in my ignorance. ;)

Nice chart, 10e! Is there one that lists the lag for some 30" LCDs like the Gateway, Samsung, HP and Dell?

My 2407 is the v.A03, widely considered to be the best of all versions. I didn't know its lag was rated so well.

Nice chart, 10e! Is there one that lists the lag for some 30" LCDs like the Gateway, Samsung, HP and Dell?

My 2407 is the v.A03, widely considered to be the best of all versions. I didn't know its lag was rated so well.

Yah; I have a 2407WFP rev. A03 too. Maybe that is why I do not see lag as a big issue.

I had a XHD3000 for a short while and it was real bad, but I read that if you set it at native resolution and turn on 1:1 pixel mapping it bypasses the scaler and does pretty good.

10e's chart shows what I have said all along, there is more to it then the panel type. That is assuming the numbers are correct.

Dave

Yah; I have a 2407WFP rev. A03 too. Maybe that is why I do not see lag as a big issue.

I had a XHD3000 for a short while and it was real bad, but I read that if you set it at native resolution and turn on 1:1 pixel mapping it bypasses the scaler and does pretty good.

10e's chart shows what I have said all along, there is more to it then the panel type. That is assuming the numbers are correct.

Dave

10e's chart shows what I have said
:)
This is TFT Central's chart.

Second that.

Up here in Canada the 2709W is only $899.00 making it less expensive than the Samsung 275t Plus. I'm actually quite interested and very tempted to give my 26" a right hand buddy. That's also a good excuse to the wife for a new desk. :)

Yea it has 3 frames of input lag, but it has so many connections and they've thrown everything except the kitchen sink with a TV tuner sitting on top of it.

They even include an Anti-burn in pixel "jiggler" in there according to this about RGM:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2008/review-dell-2709w-part6.html

and even a green "interloper" frame to cleanse the optical palette. Dell went nuts on this monitor it seems.

Nuts I say.

I think my only two dislikes are the 3 frames lag and the 145 cdm/2 brightness at 0% brightness, but that still is pretty close to my preference of 140 cdm/2.

2709, definitely. The 2408 is bugged, and I don't mean the input lag:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neographikal/2446115199/

I can't say all of them have it, but by the looks of it, it seems _very_ consistent. I had three and there are numerous reports of this phenomenon. I'm looking into the 2709 as well, but with hesitation.

Yea it has 3 frames of input lag, but it has so many connections and they've thrown everything except the kitchen sink with a TV tuner sitting on top of it.

They even include an Anti-burn in pixel "jiggler" in there according to this about RGM:

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2008/review-dell-2709w-part6.html

and even a green "interloper" frame to cleanse the optical palette. Dell went nuts on this monitor it seems.

The Dell 2408 has both "juggler" and "interloper" as well as same connections.
Another example of word is silver, silence is gold.

I mostly just do movies and internet, and sometimes gaming. Which would be better for me. Has anyone tried both?

I've had 2408 and 2707.

Major disadvantage of 2707 was limited connectivity - just one digital input. Other cons were typical for this class of monitors so I don't metion them.
Also 2707 was hot like a stove.

2709 comes with connectivity problem treated.
But you will probably suffer from sensor buttons.
I've had that on my Gateway 2485 - a nightmare.

2709 is basicly enlarged 2408.
For your purposes 27" over 24" may be a plus.
Larger screen, more legible fonts (little less smooth though).
Don't expect a meaningful difference in gaming except for more impressive 27" size.

My preference would lean towards the 2709W personally.

I like the dd 5.1 passthrough because I use a dolby digital surround sound system for PC and consoles in my office, which I believe the 2408WFP does not have.

Also the touch sensitive buttons may or may not be a problem. The worst implementation I've seen regarding this is in the Samsung 2493HM where the buttons are not lit and can be difficult to see in average lighting conditions. By way of comparison the touch buttons on the BenQ V2400W are lit and easy to use IMHO.

Also the hotkey function eliminates the excessive button pressing to change sources like you mentioned in your review of the 2408WFP, Albovin (which I'm mentioning from memory here).

I also think the 27" would be more immersive, and it seems that the input lag may be a touch lower on the 2709W compared to the 2408WFP.

Also, right now, there is question to whether or not one will receive an "old" revision 2408WFP or a new one, and other than knowing the different part numbers, subjects the user to a sort of "lottery" where they have to open the unit and check the increments of sharpness to see if it's old or new.

I am tempted to get one and review it, but after taxes it would be over $1000.00 Canadian which I would not want to spend at this time, unless I sell something else, and it wouldn't be the NEC that is for sure.

Good luck in your search, Mysteriouskk

Back