Should I flash R9 290's bios

Corban227

Gawd
Hey Guys, just acquired a PowerColor PCS+ R9 290. First of all, what a change from the 5870! It is awesome!

Secondly, I checked the bios version and I noticed it is about 2 years old. I haven't noticed any issues yet (just installed it), but would you guys recommend flashing to the new bios, or should I leave it be because there are no issues.

I do not plan on overclocking it beyond the clock it comes at from factory (1040 core and 1350 clock)

Thanks for the advice =)

I agree. I wouldn't flash a bios unless it was gaining something over the current one, like powerplay profile updates or something.

My early Powercolor 290 with Elpida ram unlocked to a full 290x.
I stuck an Xtreme III cooler on it and it was rock stable at 1150 core completely silent and under 70C.
A friend bought it and we have since flashed it to a 390x bios (customised for the 290x).
It now runs the 390x driver even though it is still listed as a 290x.

M
A friend bought it and we have since flashed it to a 390x bios (customised for the 290x).
It now runs the 390x driver even though it is still listed as a 290x.
What is the purpose of that?

What is the purpose of that?

When the 390x first came out, [H] did some comparison benchmarks and showed there was a performance difference between them that wasnt related to clock speed.
That may or may not still be the case but we decided to try the modded bios anyway and he has stuck with it.

you start flashing bios and you end up with a card that catches on fire or some shit. only flash bios if you have too.

If it unlocks... absolutely. I've been running an unlocked XFX Reference 290 as a 290x for over two years. And before that I ran a Sapphire 6950 as a 6970 for a few years. Usually there is a dual bios switch that you can still leave your stock bios intact.

if its got a bios switch then the risk is very minimal.....whats to loose?:D

My MSI R9 290 is locked down so no unlocking possible. No way to flash any new BIOS like I used to with other cards.

Back