Should I disable pagefile in Windows XP x64?

micsim749

n00b
Hi, just wondering if I would gain anything from disabling pagefile in Windows. I Have 2GB of memory and I never changed the size of the pagefile. It's at 2046 I believe and If disabling it is not good then should I raise it and how much?

Hi, just wondering if I would gain anything from disabling pagefile in Windows. I Have 2GB of memory and I never changed the size of the pagefile. It's at 2046 I believe and If disabling it is not good then should I raise it and how much?

make it 1GB and leave it at that. but do this....

set it to no pagefile, reboot, and then set it to 1024. that way you have a brand new unfragmented file to work with. otherwise i think you can find a pagefile defrag utility online somewhere. i forget the name of it...

EDIT: yeah i forgot to mention...1024 for both minimum and maximum size. thanks djnes

1 GB is about where I set mine for XP systems. Make sure you set it as a static size, and you'll be fine.

Managing the pagefile manually seems to be a user preference. Some claim it helps performance.
Not intending to start an argument here, but I never saw the point in manually setting the pagefile size in Windows. I always let windows manage the pagefile. Only time I would mess with it at all is if I had more than one hard drive and wanted to change the location of the file onto a different drive.

Temporarily turning off the pagefile and then turning it back on is a good way of cleaning up the pagefile though.

Howdy,

Don't disable the page file, give it a set size (min=max).

Somethings never change. ;)

Back