Should i buy this ram?

Stalker! Took the words right out of my mouth too.

You have to give us more to work with if you want a better answer.

Well i guess what im wondering is will that ram crap out on me? Is it a good or shitty brand?

They CHARGE to test them before they ship? Are they out of their friggen minds? What kind of a mental case would charge for that service when it's only in their best interest to do so? That turned me off of them immediately.

The RAM is Samsung, so it should be ok. They make really good, reliable chips. Don't look at their OEM RAM as speed demons or anything like that, but at loose timings (3-3-3-8) they work great and I've sold all kinds of them without any RMAs. If you don't want Samsung, for instance you are looking for lightning fast performance, I would gravitate towards names like Crucial (sort of), Corsair, OCZ, Mushkin and the like.

In general RAM either works, works fast, or is schitzo. That stuff probably works.

Egg has a few cheap choices for RAM, and worst case they're fairly leniant about RMAs if it doesn't work out. TMK the stuff they carry including the several generic brands aren't in the schitzo category (generally speaking again, since DDR's been out at PC3200 speeds for a long time now, even the cheap shit usually works by now).

In general no name RAM or the likes of Hyundai prove to be very unreliable at best. I have replaced dozens of sticks of generic RAM. Believe me, stay away from it. You might get lucky as some certainly have, but chances are good you won't. It just isn't worth it. Spend the extra few bucks and buy a major brand. You'll be much happier.

SirKenin said:
In general no name RAM or the likes of Hyundai prove to be very unreliable at best. I have replaced dozens of sticks of generic RAM. Believe me, stay away from it. You might get lucky as some certainly have, but chances are good you won't. It just isn't worth it. Spend the extra few bucks and buy a major brand. You'll be much happier.

I suppose that's good advice, but we're talking about Samsung here. All in all, I've had more luck with no name memory companies than big name memory companies. Heh, good old TwinMOS.

Tony Montana said:
well i got it.

OCZ RULZE!!!!!

What's great about OCZ, along with you know, TCCD and all, is that their tech support guys are friendly. I've kept an email correspondence with one of their tech support guys since my RMA process which ended a good month or two ago. They have great tech support.

Ok. I looked at the original link posted, and that 512 stick normally goes for $125.00?!?! It's supposedly on sale for $42. If I want to upgrade to "Diamond Grade" Pc3200, it's $20 more. If I want a heatspreader, it's either $4 or 8, depending on which one. If I actually want them to install it, it's $1 more for either heatspreader. If I want them to TEST it, it's $3. Way to sweat the small stuff, there. And way to charge out the A** for a stick of 512 mem, then put it on sale at 2/3 off, then get the customer with a bunch of little add-ons. I want Diamond grade with a copper heatspreader installed and tested, then rush process me. That's $35 extra for a $42 stick of DDR. Devil's in the details.

/rant

[Tripod]MajorPayne said:
Ok. I looked at the original link posted, and that 512 stick normally goes for $125.00?!?! It's supposedly on sale for $42. If I want to upgrade to "Diamond Grade" Pc3200, it's $20 more. If I want a heatspreader, it's either $4 or 8, depending on which one. If I actually want them to install it, it's $1 more for either heatspreader. If I want them to TEST it, it's $3. Way to sweat the small stuff, there. And way to charge out the A** for a stick of 512 mem, then put it on sale at 2/3 off, then get the customer with a bunch of little add-ons. I want Diamond grade with a copper heatspreader installed and tested, then rush process me. That's $35 extra for a $42 stick of DDR. Devil's in the details.

/rant
That's what I mean. There is something really wrong with the way they do business. I wouldn't deal with them.

Back